Elvis plays Baltimore, MD May 12'07

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis plays Baltimore, MD May 12'07

Post by johnfoyle »

From listserv-

The official site now has the May 12 date at the Rams Head in
Baltimore, rather than Annapolis.

This is the same club Elvis played with the Pickups in 2005.

Dave

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://ticketing.ramsheadlive.com/event ... 9&c=42&pg=

Elvis Costello & The Imposters
Saturday 5/12/2007

9:30 pm EST

Rams Head Live!
Baltimore, MD

Tickets go on sale on 4/7/2007 at 12:00 pm EST
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone going?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

how was it????
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://scribesandscoundrels.blogspot.co ... ve-in.html

Mark blogs

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Elvis Costello at the Rams Head Live in Baltimore, MD

Elvis Costello has younger fans in Japan. I'd been to two concerts he held in Osaka, and I didn't see as many receding hairlines amongst the audience members as I did in Baltimore. My sweetie pie and I helped bring down the average age of the concert goers significantly.

Regardless of the place or age of his audience, Costello always puts on a good show. The first time I saw him perform it was a stripped down acoustical set, but in Baltimore he really rocked out the venue.

While there was some new stuff mixed in, Costello stuck to a play list culled from My Aim Is True, Armed Forces, Imperial Bedroom, This Years Model, and Get Happy. "Green Shirt", "High Fidelity", "Watching The Detectives", "Shabby Doll", (The Angels Wanna Wear) My Red Shoes were some of the highlights of the shoe.

Starting the encore with "Allison" and finishing with "Pump It Up" and (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding was a brilliant move by Costello. It really brought down the house.
sabreman

Post by sabreman »

I went. Pretty much same set as other locations. EC was in fine focal form along with the Impostors but the acoustics (muddy) + viewing (limited sight lines) at the venue really suck. I almost didn't go because of those facts. Unfortunately the better sounding clubs (for example the 8X10) in Baltimore are not big enough for EC.

PS. I am sure others will not agree with me but I am very picky about the venue and RH just doesn't do it for me. Give me last year's AT show at stuffy Wolf Trap.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://furiousball.com/inmydiatribe/ind ... y-testing/

furiousBall blogs -

Wow, Elvis Costello was incredible. It absolutely poured down rain upon the people of Baltimore while Brian and I had dinner at the Rams Head. Our dinner entertainment was watching people try to scurry out of the rain and then bust their asses on this one particularly slick curb that claimed two different guys with spectacular falls onto the concrete. Brian and I should have brought numbered judging cards for each dive. I digress, back to the show…

The venue was pretty sweet, three balconies and the house PA was decent. A few observations about seeing Elvis for the first time…

1. Elvis loves to yell at his guitar tech during guitar changes

2. Keyboardist Steve Nieve, looks like he’s taking orders at a deli counter nodding understandingly at the audience while playing. He also loves the shit out of his theremin.

3. Drummer Pete Thomas sounds incredible on the majority of the songs, but on certain tunes like Angels Want to Wear My Red Shoes, he seems to take the song off and not snap the snare consistently…I’ll give him a break, he’s like 75 or something.

4. Dave Faragher is a phenomenal bassist and back-up singer, also a lot of fun to watch his facial expressions while he’s playing.

5. Only a couple of political statements came through the performance: the bumper sticker on the back of his signature acoustic “Forget Iraq, Rebuild New Orleansâ€
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.citypaper.com/digest.asp?id=13633

5/16/2007

BALTIMORE CITY PAPER

Noise
Indoor Fireworks

by Al Shipley

To love Elvis Costello is to be vehemently opinionated about exactly how much of his output is absolute crap. For some, he jumped the shark immediately after those unfuckwithable first three albums; others draw the line at virtually every possible interval in his 30-year career. But as wildly uneven and capricious as Costello has been, he's remarkably dependable as a live act, still touring with the most essential two-thirds of his classic backing band, the Attractions, rechristened the Imposters with a different bassist. Having traveled a couple times before--once to Philadelphia and once to Virginia--to watch Costello about a mile from the stage in larger venues, it was a small thrill to see him play a comparatively intimate May 12 club show right here in Baltimore. It's easy to take the addition of the boomer-friendly Rams Head Live to the city's rock venues for granted, but you become more grateful whenever it books an old fogey you happen to be a huge fan of. With no new product to promote, other than yet another installment in his endless campaign of reissues and greatest hits compilations, Costello announced his intention to treat the night as a tour through his catalog by opening with "Welcome to the Working Week"--song one from side one of his first album. And aside from a handful of detours into his two most recent rock albums, 2002's When I Was Cruel and 2004's The Delivery Man, Costello leaned heavily on old favorites from the first decade of his career. If Costello and his band have a weakness as a live act, it's their tendency to speed up every song, often steamrolling the subtleties and dynamics that make them great. Thankfully, the band sounded exceptionally patient this time out, only ramping up the momentum when the song called for it. "Watching the Detectives" frequently turns bloated and overdramatic when performed live, but the Imposters played it straight this evening, while Costello subtly milked the pause before the word "heart" at the end of the chorus, drawing it out more with each go-round. Deep down, Costello's a ham who relishes that his fans hang on his every word, knowing they will notice that he changed the line in "Green Shirt" from "she's picking out names/ I hope none of them are mine" to "all of them"--even though the change probably didn't mean a thing. The night's most intriguing sequence came when the Imposters played very different renditions of two of the darkest, most frantically intense songs from 1978's This Year's Model back to back. "Lipstick Vogue" was painstakingly faithful to the original, as if drummer Pete Thomas had listened to every note of his jaw-dropping performance on the album as many times as the audience had. But what followed was a barely recognizable “(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea,â€
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis plays Baltimore, MD May 12'07

Post by johnfoyle »

This weird poster has popped up on ebay -