Prince: 21 nights at 02

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Prince: 21 nights at 02

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Forget whether EC is playing Indigo2 or whatever they call it, check this:

http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/community ... entid=5893

Bizarrely, no mention of WHEN!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I'd love to go, my sisters have seen him at least twice. It starts August 1st, tickets go on sale Friday 9am - UKP31.21, in reference to his album 3121. Amy Winehouse, Joss Stone and others to support. Now you have no excuse not to go, at least you can't say you didn't know. More details here:

http://www.drownedinsound.com/articles/1954394
http://www.londonnet.co.uk/entertainmen ... 070509.php
Otis Westinghouse

I have the excuse of needing to be careful with money. Other than that, none. I saw him in the Vicente Calderon stadium (i.e. Atletico's home) in Madrid in 90 or 91. Whichever year Nothing Compares 2U was a hit, cos he played it and it was great. We were half a mile away, but the stadium was filled with purple love. I remember him lounging on the piano, and not much else.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I may see if Red wants to go to this. Neither of us are huge Prince fans, but we'll be in London in August so...
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Sounds like you were off your face, Otis. Long after you've forgotten how much you paid you'll be glad you went. Looks like he has reason to make these shows memorable, he says he won't be playing any of his old classics anymore after them.
Otis Westinghouse

It was a long time ago and we were to far away to really be blown away. Looks like all the good seats have gone. Too bad.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Can anyone buy me Mail on Sunday in a couple of weeks ? :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6256732.stm

Anger at Prince free CD giveaway

The music industry has reacted angrily at a decision to give away the new album by US musician Prince with a tabloid newspaper.
Planet Earth will be given free with a future edition of the Mail on Sunday.

The 10-track CD from Prince - whose hits include Purple Rain, Sign O' The Times and Cream - is not due to be released until 24 July.

Paul Quirk, co-chairman of the Entertainment Retailers Association, said the decision "beggars belief".

"The Artist formerly known as Prince should know that with behaviour like this he will soon be the Artist Formerly Available in Record Stores," said Mr Quirk, referring to a period in the 1990s when Prince famously stopped using his name in favour of a symbol.

"It is an insult to all those record stores who have supported Prince throughout his career.

"It is yet another example of the damaging covermount culture which is destroying any perception of value around recorded music."

The practice of "covermounts" - where newspapers attempt to lure readers with DVDs and CDs - is used widely in the industry.

The Mail on Sunday's recent CD giveaways include Peter Gabriel, Dolly Parton, Duran Duran, UB40 and Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells.

Stephen Miron, the newspaper's managing director, said: "No one has done this before. We have always given away CDs and DVDs, but this is just setting a new level."

Out of business

Mr Miron declined how much the newspaper had paid to secure the deal.

He added that the newspaper was not out to put music retailers out of business.

"They are living in the old days and haven't developed their businesses sufficiently. We can enhance their business. They are being incredibly insular and need to move their business on," he said.

But HMV chief executive Simon Fox has said it would be "absolutely nuts" to give the album away for free.

The company revealed on Thursday that its profits had more than halved in the face of cut-price competition from supermarkets and online retailers.

The deal has also led to the UK arm of Sony BMG pulling out of the distribution agreement.

"Given the sheer number of copies we are talking about here it seemed the right thing to do for retailers to become exempt from the deal in the UK," said a spokesman for Sony BMG, the world's second-biggest music company.

Prince is due to play 21 concert dates in London later this year.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

Sod the music industry, but the idea of having to actually pay for a Daily Mail in order to get this is appalling. (For the uninitiated, the DM sums up everything that is dislikeable about middle England - xenophobic, Thatcher-worshipping - still - knee-jerk C/conservative, morally repugnant.) I suppose I can be bribed, though no doubt it's easy enough to download it. Will offer to send you a copy, IP, unless you're desperate for me to buy two and send you an original (which might be more adding of insult to injury than I can handle!).
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Is it on a par with The Sun or Daily Mirror ?

A friend of mine, currently living in UK, is coming to Poland for a holiday in August, so I'll ask him to buy a copy for me.
Don't know if you heard it, but Prince's new song "Guitar" is pretty good.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

It's far, far worse. The Sun changes political allegiance according to who they fancy. It's a rag, and I'm sure is often full of disgusting attitudes, but it and the (traditionally Labourite) Mirror are lightweight, celebrity- and sex-fixated tosh. The Mail is for people who, to take an example at random, would immediately take the position that the number of Polish people in Britain is a problem because 'they're taking our jobs', and likewise would repatriate asylum seekers as they're sponging off our state. Filth. Most of their readers would probably find Prince offensive too!
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Going off topic here, but I'm pleased to find an excuse to quote Sir Humphrey's classic description of our press, from the rather marvellous Yes Minister (an 80s BBC TV satire of the corrdors of power):

"The Times is read by the people who run the country. The Daily Mirror is read by the people who think they run the country. The Guardian is read by the people who think they ought to run the country. The Morning Star is read by the people who think the country ought to be run by another country. The Independent is read by people who don't know who runs the country but are sure they're doing it wrong. The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country. The Financial Times is read by the people who own the country. The Daily Express is read by the people who think the country ought to be run as it used to be run. The Daily Telegraph is read by the people who still think it is their country. And the Sun's readers don't care who runs the country providing she has big tits."
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"