The Very Best Of Diana Krall

Post by sweetest punch »

The new Best Of Diana Krall has these tracks:

http://www.amazon.com/Very-Best-Diana-K ... 134&sr=1-2

1. S'Wonderful
2. Peel Me a Grape
3. Pick Yourself up
4. Frim Fram Sauce
5. You Go To My Head (previously unreleased)
6. Let's Fall in Love
7. The Look of Love
8. East of the Sun West of the Moon
9. I've Got You Under My Skin
10. All or Nothing At All
11. Only the Lonely (previously unreleased)
12. Let's Face the Music and Dance
13. The Heart of Saturday Night (previously unreleased)
14. Little Girl Blue
15. Fly Me to the Moon

The limited edition has a bonus DVD with the video of Almost Blue and performance footage of The Girl In The Other Room and Abondoned Masquerade:

http://www.amazon.com/Very-Best-Diana-K ... 205&sr=1-1

Disc: 1
1. S'Wonderful
2. Peel Me a Grape
3. Pick Yourself up
4. Frim Fram Sauce
5. You Go To My Head (previously unreleased)
6. Let's Fall in Love
7. The Look of Love
8. East of the Sun West of the Moon
9. I've Got You Under My Skin
10. All or Nothing At All
See all 15 tracks on this disc

Disc: 2
1. Video: "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve" from Christmas Songs
2. Video: "Almost Blue" from The Girl in the Other Room
3. Video: "The Look of Love" from The Look of Love
4. Video: "Let's Face the Music & Dance" from When I Look in Your Eyes
5. Recorded live in Lisbon: "Abandoned Masquerade"
6. Recorded live in Lisbon: "Temptation"
7. Recorded live in Lisbon: "The Girl in the Other Room"
8. Video: "Fly Me to the Moon"

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Interesting that the main album completely ignores The Girl In The Other Room, despite its heavy representation on the DVD.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 50508/1035

(extract)

Krall will start work on a new album when her U.S. tour wraps up in the fall. While she continues to solicit Costello's opinion on her material, she's put aside further songwriting collaborations with her Brit-rocker husband. She's got a pool of about 30 songs from which she'll choose as she moves back to the nightclub jazz arrangements of pop standards that marked her work earlier this decade.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

An early listing for this had

11 - “Only the Lonely “ – written by Orbison and Melson*

- indicating that this was a cover of the Roy Orbison classic.

However Diana's PR people -

http://www.shorefire.com/index.php?a=pr ... ase&o=1090

list this -

11. *“Only the Lonely “ – written by Van Heusen and Cahn

- indicating this is a cover of the title song of the classic 1950's Frank Sinatra album.

Both songs are excellent but it's interesting that the Sinatra song is , probably, being covered. Back in c.1980 Elvis picked Only The Lonely as being one of his favourite albums. He even wrote a short article all about it. I'm being vague because I can't for the life of me find the cutting and the text doesn't seem to be on the 'net. I remember it well because it prompted me , as a 15 year old, to check out Sinatra and , ultimately, discover the string of splendid albums he did on Capitol in the '50s. Back in those pre-CD and internet days that was a difficult task but so rewarding. I wonder did Diana record it as a treat for Elvis ?

I guess I'll have go through a few more boxes of stuff in the attic - it has to be there somewhere!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Found it!

The Hot Press ( Dublin)

Vol 5 No 12 June 26th/July 9th 1981

My Favourite Album

In these style-obsessed days I thought that my status
in fashion might be improved by claiming my choice to
be Dirk Bogarde's Lyrics For Lovers, or maybe it
should be the Privilege soundtrack.

But what about The Impressions' Big Sixteen, Loretta
Lynn's I Remember Patsy, The Band, The Greatest
Hits Of Lee Dorsey, Billie Holliday, The Ronettes,
Hank Williams, Jerry Lee Lewis, The Supremes, Charlie
Rich, Dusty Springfield, or The Temptations?

How about one of George Jones' hundred odd albums,
Motown Chartbusters Vol.3, Aretha Franklins I
Never Loved A Man, Ella Fitzgerald Sings Cole
Porter, Walls And Bridges, With The Beatles, Gram
Parsons' G.P. Heroes, Low, Lust For Life, The
Clash, Here Comes Rhymin' Simon, Aftermath, The
Exciting Wilson Pickett, Blood On The Tracks,
Squeezing Out Sparks, Court And Spark, Full
House, Revolver, Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue,
Janis Martin, Otis Redding Live In Europe, Randy
Newman's Good Old Boys, Pet Sounds, The Explosive
Little Richard, Sailing Shoes, All Mod Cons, My
Generation, I Want To See The Bright Lights,
Modern Lovers, Mad About The Wrong Boy, Labour Of
Lust, The Specials, East Side Story, or Get
Happy
. Now wait a minute, this is getting out of
hand.

But there is one album which beats the current bright
young things hands down at the style game, and is as
genuinely romantic as certain of today's jokers are
wooden and sexless.

'Frank Sinatra Sings Only For The Lonely'
was recorded
in 1958 and remains the man's most consistent album,
aside from the compilations. You get more than a clue
from the cover, a chalk drawing of Sinatra in tearful
clown's make-up. The mood is extremely melancholic.
The tempi are very slow and the singing has a personal
sounding sadness. There is none of the dated brashness
of his swing material, this is moody stuff beyond
categorization.

Of course the compositions and arrangements are
'sophisticated', but they compliment the performances
and therefore have not dated at all, while the singing
is as emotional as any blues and soul, only with
control and restraint, so obviously romantic but never
purely sentimental. Sinatra's massive showbiz status
and his dubious friendships in the crime world of Las
Vegas and Washington might blind you to his finest
moments. Well here they are: Willow Weep For Me,
Angel Eyes, One For My Baby, It's A Lonesome Old
Town
, and my personal favourite Goodbye.

What if there are no great lyrical insights into the
human condition? These songs date from an era of more
stylised emotions and image, but the voice says it
all.

Excuse Me While I Disappear
Angel Eyes.

Elvis Costello
shendley

Post by shendley »

I can't wait to hear DK's cover of Only the Lonely. That's almost certainly my favorite Sinatra song (and I love the album as well, though, I think it's less consistent throughout that Elvis does).

On the theme of DK neglecting her TGITOR tunes: I saw her in Nashville about a month ago and was slightly surprised/disappointed to see her completely avoid those songs in concert as well. Though I can understand her desire to stress her cover work - that is where her roots are, after all, and she's SO good at it - I can't quite understand why she'd want to simply bury the excellent songs she penned with Elvis on TGITOR.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This refers more to Ms Krall's album from last year-

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/m ... 87,00.html

Rocky Mountain News

That Sinatra vibe

Doing an album of standards was still a labor of love for songstress Krall

By Mark Brown, Rocky Mountain News

August 27, 2007

After doing an album of originals and a Christmas disc, jazz singer/pianist Diana Krall wondered what to do next. She was inclined to shy away from standards because of the glut of singers jumping on that bandwagon.

But then she got the notion of singing Cole Porter's From This Moment On, and an album was born. Also born: the twin sons of Krall and her husband Elvis Costello, making it a different world.

She talked about music and family life recently with Rocky pop music writer Mark Brown.

What made you record these big-band songs rather than more originals?

Krall: "Because I worked with the Clayton Hamilton Jazz Orchestra, a big band, during the Christmas record. I really enjoyed it. I hadn't done it for a while. The intensity of writing and performing . . . was a lot of work. I was sort of wanting to take a different turn. I was pregnant while I was making a record. I just loved working with John and Jeff (Clayton). I'd never worked with a big band before. I wanted to reach out here to Frank Sinatra at the Sands, that whole Sands kind of vibe."

It seems like every singer out there has suddenly jumped on the American songbook. Does that worry you?

Krall: " It really puts me in a weird position. That's one of the reasons I did an about-face. It was just like 'Forget it. People are going to be sick of this.' But you can't really go there. This is music that's repertoire. That was an era when there were a lot of great singers. They were all covering the same songs, but differently and very well. I try not to go there and be self-conscious and think. I'm just doing what I want to do honestly, because I can't lie. I can't say, 'I'll do this one because it'll be more commercial.' I have to find the story in it. I've only done (a song) once in my whole career where I felt like it wasn't right for me."

How did you pull the final songs together?

Krall: "Sequencing is really always hard. You do an album of 12 tunes and then there's five bonus tracks that you've added on to whatever store wants to put their own exclusives. You're really making albums with about 20 tunes now because the market is the way it is. You go to iTunes and they're selling singles again. The whole thing has changed. People make their own play list and their own CDs. I'm still pretty old-school. I spend a lot of time sequencing and balancing. This isn't the difficult part. (In picking the songs) for me it's like falling in love. My life has changed so I'm ready now to sing a certain song where maybe I wouldn't be two years ago because I couldn't relate to it."

Do things like bonus tracks and ringtones make it difficult to resist pressure to be more commercial?

Krall:"I'm not very easily pushed. I dig in my heels pretty hard. I'm in control of everything that I do, and I make sure that everything that goes out, I better love it. I always find promotion the most difficult - the 'doing the press part.' I'm better now because I feel a little less defensive. When I first came out it was all about they just wanted to talk about my legs and the this and the that."

Oh, we'll get to the legs.

Krall: "Oh good, thank you. I want my old body back. I'm still postpartum."

You're more comfortable with the press now, but you're arguably better tabloid fodder now, too. Is the attention difficult?

Krall: "When I'm by myself, I don't really have any problem with that. If somebody took pictures of us on Mother's Day, I thought that's fine. But I don't want their lenses in my children's faces. Every parent would feel that way. They didn't choose it. I don't think we're real tabloid fodder. We're not there."

How do marriage and children impact your time for music?

Krall: "I'm always really full-on. I was just feeding my son when I called you. This is why I'm still carrying 15 pounds of weight (laughs). I'm not training hard. I'm being a mom to two children and trying to look after myself. I started to diet and got run down and got really sick. So if I'm going to be an artist and do the work I need to do and travel and be a good mother, I'm just not going to sleep. I'm just going to do everything. I just played two shows a night at Yoshi's over the weekend and I'm tired. I've always had tons of stamina. It's what I want to do. Having said all that, yes, it's an adjustment. They're really good boys and we're loving every moment of it. It's good for them to see what Mommy does."

What's it like going from a small-club date like Yoshi's to playing big outdoor venues?

Krall: "What's difficult is when I have to play in daylight, when you can see the whole audience. I find that more difficult. When it's nighttime, you can make it into an intimate setting. You can use your imagination more. The elements don't bother me."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a slightly related note , the death has sadly happened of U.K. music writer Richard Cook -

http://www.rocksbackpages.com/article.h ... leID=11505

Rocks Back Pages have reprinted a 1984 review of the Sinatra re-issues that I was delighted to get after the Costello article featured here earlier on -

http://www.rocksbackpages.com/article.h ... icleID=197

Frank Sinatra: Songs For Young Lovers and other Capitol reissues

Richard Cook, NME, 22 September 1984

BECAUSE SINATRA has lasted so long, has outlived his own legend – to the point where he can make a record with Quincy Jones and apparently see nothing incongruous – the perspective of his greatest music has been distorted by his subsequent fallibility. The same thing happened to Armstrong, Crosby and Presley; but none were so willful about their decline as Sinatra.

His incomparable public boorishness has contributed to it – Gary Giddins has astutely described him as "half mensch and half punk, a virtuoso at storing wounds" – but so has the two-way tug which is the genius of his singing: a worldly socialite’s Sunday charm and the lingering, trembling vulnerability of the former matinee crooner. Nobody could persist like that into old age and stay aloof from ridicule.

Fortunately, of course, Sinatra’s records remain to outshine his vulgarly tarnished myth. EMI’s reissue of 18 digitally remastered Capitol Sinatras has been timed to coincide with his series of London concerts this week, and the voice which the faithful will hear in person will be a shadow of The Voice of those LPs: cut between 1953 and 1961, they are a chronicle of singing that must electrify anyone who only knows the revolting nostalgia of ‘My Way’.

When he moved to Capitol in 1952, Sinatra was facing a crisis: dumped by Columbia, the swing era he was reared in already gone, his career seemed in tatters. It was From Here To Eternity and the advent of the long-playing record that saved him. The first two collections, Songs For Young Lovers and Swing Easy, were light, amiable records with the singer still the big band vocalist in songs like ‘All Of Me’, still impersonally mannered in ‘Like Someone In Love’. But what came next was unprecedented, the first albums to turn the medium to the singer’s advantage.

In The Wee Small Hours took the daring step of running 16 slow ballads side by side, and the result was some of Sinatra’s most profound and involved work. The songs were uniformly superb, and in his flawless delivery – every phrase articulated with noble precision, every legato shift and taking of breath finely judged – Sinatra paid them the highest due. When the material was as fine as Lorenz Hart’s lyric for ‘It Never Entered My Mind’ – "Once you told me I was mistaken/That I’d awaken with the sun/and order orange juice for one/It never entered my mind" – Sinatra told the tale with deceptive simplicity; but when it was ‘When Your Love Has Gone’ a whiskery jazz novelty even in 1955, he made it the loneliest prayer for comfort.

Sinatra followed with Songs For Swingin’ Lovers, and his mastery was unchallenged. It might not be the best of his Capitols but it’s the best remembered. If the concept was already old-fashioned in 1956, with rock going through its birth squeals, the execution sounded so effortless, relaxed, intimate... and it blended perfectly the knowing fidelity of ‘Our Love Is Here To Stay’ and the Broadway exuberance of ‘Old Devil Moon’. As Sinatra turned 40, his voice and his confidence were at their most assured.

Those two records encapsulate the different styles which were deepened and amplified over the later records for Capitol. Both were arranged by Nelson Riddle, Sinatra’s most frequent principal and a man whose hackwork for other singers (most notoriously, Ella Fitzgerald) was mysteriously transcended by his writing for The Voice. For Close To You he set ballads to a string quartet, and Sinatra sang as gently as if the songs would break; for the aching Only The Lonely, a full orchestra played even more slowly than on In The Wee Small Hours.

But two other arrangers urged Sinatra into his most extreme work. With Billy May on Come Fly With Me, Come Dance With Me and Come Swing With Me Sinatra clung on to his big band roots: in these brash, brassy arrangements (although Fly has some ballads, including a gorgeous ‘Autumn In New York’) the high-stepping tempos are shouldered by a voice still in complete control. ‘Something’s Gotta Give’ and an impetuously fast ‘The Song Is You’ are irresistible pieces of barnstorming.

Arguably, though, it is the two records with Gordon Jenkins that cut deepest of all. Where Are You? programmes a dozen of the most desolate ballads in colours dominated by Jenkins’ huge waterfall of strings and a Sinatra who seem to be bowed in pain. Few records have summoned the emotive charge of ‘I’m A Fool To Want You’ or ‘Autumn Leaves’. Yet, incredibly, No One Cares surpasses it. It was subtitled ‘Ballads In A Lonely Mood’, but the treatment given a song like ‘Here’s That Rainy Day’ is something much darker than that. Even Sinatra’s detachment fails him when the record climaxes on the numbing ‘None But The Lonely Heart’.

What’s striking about hearing these records one after another, hearing a considerable chunk of the best popular songs ever written, is how the Capitol Sinatra always put the song first. He was the great interpretive singer because he offered so few embellishments, expecting a classic melody and lyric to sustain a singer’s energy; on the few occasions where he tried to perform like a jazz singer (‘I Concentrate On You’ from Swingin’ Session) the results were uncomfortable. Once Sinatra had decided how a song was to be, it stayed that way: comparing the versions of ‘Last Night When We Were Young’ from In The Wee Small Hours (1955) and September Of My Years (1965) shows the conception of the song remaining constant.

What changed was the material itself. As Sinatra grew older, his instinct for a good song declined to the point where he eventually succumbed to wooing the ‘60s pop audience. That decline is manifest in some of his last records for Capitol. But in the LPs indicated above (to which Nice ‘N’ Easy and A Swingin’ Affair can also be added), where Sinatra had songs that had a mystery to fathom and a detail to uncover, he was matchless.

What such records will mean to a contemporary audience depends on what that audience wants to listen to in its music. Sinatra’s records are rhythmically square, sung by a man who was even then entering early middle age; and there are preciously few ‘swingin’ lovers’ today. But if you find yourself moved by a singer’s voice, you will need to hear the best of Sinatra; and the best is on these records.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

While Elvis tours with Zimmy , Ms Krall is promoting her 'Best of...', including some European dates. So says her drummers' site.

http://www.hamiltonjazz.com/calendar.html

Sept
22 JH; w/ Diana Krall, Monterey Jazz Festival, Monterey, CA
24 JH; w/ Diana Krall, NBC Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Burbank, CA
26 JH; w/ Diana Krall, Viejas Concerts in the Park, San Diego, CA
28 JH; w/ Diana Krall, Private Fundraiser, New York Public Library, New York, NY
Oct
13 JH; w/ Diana Krall, Meyerson Symphony Center, Dallas, TX
16-17 JH; w/ Diana Krall, European Promo Tour, Details TBA
18 JH; w/ Diana Krall, Bruce Parkinson Show, London, England
19-24 JH; w/ Diana Krall, European Promo Tour, Details TBA

Nov
26 JH; w/ Diana Krall, Concert, Sao Paolo, Brazil
26 JH; w/ Diana Krall, Concert, Rio de Janiero, Brazil
Dec
2 JH; w/ Diana Krall, Concert, Sao Paolo, Brazil
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

There was quite a relaxed, humorous interview with Diana on the BBC radio 4 arts review programme covering quite a range of topics: women in music, family life, etc.

You can hear it for 7 days

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/frontrow/

- its the Tuesday show and the interview starts about 6 mins into the programme.

Diana relates some recent advice that Barbara Streisand gave her regarding performing at The Hollywood Bowl ( 'Just suck it in and stick those boobies out') and there is a extract from 'Only The Lonely ' (and very tasty it sounds) from the 'Best of..'.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Reading the credits in the booklet I see that “The Heart of Saturday Nightâ€
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Diana will be signing copies of the new CD at the Bay/ Bloor Indigo Books in Toronto - perhaps EC and the twins will be around.

She's also on CBC's The Hour tonight, and CTV's Canada AM tomorrow.

Date: Wednesday, September 19th
Time: 12:15 p.m.
55 Bloor Street West
Toronto, Ontario
For further information: Michelle Easton or Sandra D'Ambrosio, Edelman
Public Relations, (416) 979-1120, michelle.easton@edelman.com,
Sandra.d'ambrosio@edelman.com OR: Jeremy Cammy, Indigo Books & Music Inc., (416) 300-0799, jcammy@indigo.ca
Last edited by scielle on Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Maybe I'll pop by on my lunch break.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

....or you could download this recording.

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=163114
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I was interested to see a rather silly mistake in the credits for the DVD with some editions of this . 'Temptation' is listed as a Elvis Costello song. However we don't get the Get Happy !! song - what we hear and see Diana and co. performing is the Tom Waits song that's on GITOR.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Another neat , compact interview with Diana - and she sings also!

Listen again via this - Diana is about 32 minutes into the programme .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/comedy/looseends.shtml

Saturday 20 October 2007

Diana Krall on this week's Loose Ends.

Clive Anderson presents with guests:

Grammy award winning jazz vocalist Diana Krall has recently released "The Very Best of Diana Krall" on Verve Records. Diana talks about her career and plays "A Case Of You".

' I just recorded , like , twenty tunes , solo piano in a studio' she says at one point.

Diana's song performance is very breathy , semi narrated , due to her cold. Very 'Tom Waits' ....very sexy...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

More Diana on BBC radio ; listen again via this-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/parki ... l?focuswin

Parkinson's Sunday Supplement (2 hr)
Broadcast on Radio 2 Sun 21 Oct - 11:00

This time just in conversation ( except for a brief, impromptu version of 'Mud, Glorious Mud', about 1.24 in), about 1 hour and 2 minutes into the show.

She mentions that 'we' ( ie. Diana, kids 'n hubby) will be in the U.K. in November.
colrow26

Post by colrow26 »

Very interesting, if EC is coming to he UK in November will he be playing any solo shows? or TV perhaps? Jools Holland usually starts up again in November so we may see him on that???
Heres hoping
...I want him to hurt...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Ms Krall has arrived in Brasil for some shows ; presumably Elvis 'n the 'Carny Kids' are in her party -

http://ego.globo.com/ENT/Noticia/Gente/ ... 34,00.html

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Here's the Babel Fish translation for those who speak English:

Diana Krall already is in Brazil. The Canadian singer, who will make two shows in São Paulo and one in Rio De Janeiro, arrived at the São Paulo capital in Saturday, 24, and is using to advantage to know a little of the city. In the weekend, the diva visited store and restaurants of the region of the Gardens, noble quarter of São Paulo. Surrounded for seguranças, Diana was well discrete and it was not bothered with the boarding of the photographers. It is housed in the Emiliano hotel, one of most luxurious of the city. SHOWS The first show of Diana Krall in Brazil goes to happen in this monday, 26, in the São Paulo Room. In day 28, it travels for Rio De Janeiro, where presents in the house of shows Alive River and, in day 2 of December, it she returns to the São Paulo capital for a gratuitous presentation in theVilla-Lobos Park. In the repertoire of the singer, who is one of the great names of the world-wide jazz, they will be musics of its last album, "From This Moment".

FAMILY Diana Krall would come to Brazil with the husband, the musician Elvis Costello, and the children, the twin of eleven months, Dexter Henry Lorcan and Frank Harlan James. However, the plans had had that to be cancelled because one of the boys was sick. It arrived at the folloied country of three musicians. She reads in the EGO more notice on celebrities.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Great.

http://www.hellomagazine.ca/news/200711 ... clusive/1/

28 November 2007

Canada's queen of jazz Diana Krall has opened her heart about life with husband Elvis Costello and their twin sons Dexter and Frank in an exclusive interview with HELLO! magazine. Since the boys arrived on the couple's third wedding anniversary last December, the multi-talented chanteuse says her outlook on life is better than ever.

"I'm happier, more joyful," reveals the 43-year-old jet-setter, who is on tour in South America with her new family until mid-December. "I'm working as hard as I ever have, and I'm still managing to be a very involved parent, as is my husband."

The New York-based singer looked radiant as she was photographed for a five-page fashion spread in HELLO! magazine modelling designs by Michael Kors, Christian Louboutin and Diane von Furstenberg at Toronto jazz hotspot The Courthouse.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Top that Elvis !

Show by Diana Krall congestion region of the Park Villa Lobos

Around 12 thousand people, according to estimates by the military police, took the morning of Sunday 12/02 to see the singer and pianist Diana Krall in action, this time without having to pay dearly for a ticket. The Canadian came in the Park Villa-Lobos, in the area west of Sao Paulo.

According to the Traffic Engineering Company (CET), which monitored that area, the large movement of vehicles caused congestion in the region. The sluggishness, however, was not measured. Yet according to the CET, after the end of the show, around the 13:30, traffic in the vicinity of the park was still loaded.

Translated by Google

From: http://g1.globo.com/Noticias/SaoPaulo/0 ... LOBOS.html
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://musica.uol.com.br/album/diana_kr ... abrefoto=8

Diana Krall

Parque Villa-Lobos 2/12/07
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

A 10-pg feature on Ms. Krall from the Nov. issues of Jazziz has been posted on the ShoreFire website. It is actually just as much about Oscar Peterson, as it is about Diana with some EC & twins tidbits thrown in for good measure.

http://www.shorefire.com/media/Jazziz.N ... _90125.pdf

Here's the text version -

The Importance of Being Oscar

"SORRY I’M LATE," says Diana Krall. "I was busy being mommy."

These days, Krall is busy with both kids and career. Her sultry image, established for many fans by the soft-focus glamour shot on the cover of her 1997 smash Love Scenes, was retouched in a major way on December 6, 2006, when she gave birth to twin sons Dexter and Frank. After that kind of life-changing event, many performers would step out of the limelight for a year or two. Not Krall.

She spent much of this summer on an extended tour, with Dexter and Frank in tow. In addition, she helped assemble The Very Best of Diana Krall, a compilation drawn from a catalog that has grown to 10 full-length albums released since 1993 (see page 36).

And she’s hard at work on a new recording that will likely include contributions by longtime collaborators, including Claus Ogerman, who arranged and conducted the orchestra heard on her 2001 offering The Look of Love.

In a wide-ranging conversation, Krall reflects on early inspirations, the album that led to one of her most significant creative breakthroughs, the challenges of celebrity (which have only grown more acute since she married singer-songwriter Elvis Costello in 2003), the fan favorite she resists performing these days, and her aptitude for singing sad songs even though she’s never been happier.

Still, she’s most energized when talking about pianist Oscar Peterson, whom she lauds in a commercial for Lexus...

JAZZIZ: Your Lexus commercial is just as much a commercial for Oscar Peterson...

Diana Krall: I was pleased working with the people at Lexus — because they didn’t tell me anything. They didn’t direct, other than to ask, “What is it you want to do?â€
johnfoyle

Re: The Very Best Of Diana Krall

Post by johnfoyle »

Browsing a Diana Krall forum , I find a reviewer who has listened rather closely to one of her releases-

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/soft ... scenes-dts

Tom Andry writes -

(extract)

Diana Krall's vocals are what this album is all about. Not once in the 56 minutes of playback are her vocals overshadowed by any other element in the album. Her voice is clearly the most important aspect in any song at any time. Listen closely and you'll hear her swallow between passages. Listen really closely and you can hear her mouth reposition between notes.
johnfoyle

Re: The Very Best Of Diana Krall

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.al.com/entertainment/birming ... xml&coll=2

Mellow, cozy and over too soon

Sunday, April 06, 2008
MARY COLURSO
News staff writer

Diana Krall - golden mane, black cocktail dress, sexy stilettos, sparkling jewelry - performed Saturday night at the Alys Stephens Center's Starlight gala.

The Canadian singer and pianist, 43, seemed a bit stiff and formal at first, but Krall warmed up considerably about halfway through her 75-minute set.

Playing jazz with an excellent trio must loosen the vocal cords, and the inhibitions. After renditions of songs such as "I Love Being Here With You," "Let's Fall in Love," "Let's Face the Music and Dance" and "You Call it Madness (But I Call It Love)," Krall admitted to recent facial surgery and worry over stitches in her mouth.

She must have felt a sympathetic response from the audience; soon enough, Krall was charming her listeners with tales of her childhood (highly influenced by her parents' classic records) and talking about her husband, Elvis Costello, and their 16-month-old twins.

Any fears about Krall being an unapproachable diva dissolved with her humorous anecdotes, and the rest of the concert took on a friendly and mellow tone.

It progressed, elegant yet intimate, through tunes that included "Exactly Like You," "If I Had You" and "I'm Walkin'."

Krall isn't a showy vocalist who overwhelms the ears with glory notes; her singing is dusky, subtle and understated. Look closely during Saturday's 7 p.m. performance, however, and you could see her emotional response to the lyrics - feeling the song instead of merely projecting it.

Same goes for Krall's sensitive touch on the keyboard, and the way she interacted with her band members.

She was well matched with three standout players: guitarist Anthony Wilson, drummer Jeff Hamilton and bassist John Clayton. Each had several opportunities to solo, rising to the challenge with vitality and precision.

Quibbles? Well, just one. Krall's show felt brief for its $125 ticket price, benefit or no benefit. Perhaps time does fly when the enjoyment level is high, but her single encore - "Gee Baby, Ain't I Good to You?" - seemed to arrive much too quickly.

E-mail: mcolurso@bhamnews.com