Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Just heard on tv that Riquelme might sign a contract with Spurs within days.
Amazing footballer, on a good day one of the most outstanding players in the world, but somehow seems to have problems with getting on with clubs' coaches.
Gili, Jackson, what do you reckon ?
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Well let's hope he gets on with Jol's successor!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Robben's off to Madrid as well. £24 million.

And it looks like we won't get Alves from Sevilla. Just as well - the numbers Sevilla were throwing around were ridiculous (40 million Euros). Belletti, the Barcelona left back, is supposedly joining instead, for 5 million.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

As well as Heinze? Looks like that will be the outcoime of the whole sorry affair. Such a great addition to the team in his first season, shame it turned out that way.

Bellett's probably better than Alves anyway!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:As well as Heinze? Looks like that will be the outcoime of the whole sorry affair. Such a great addition to the team in his first season, shame it turned out that way.
Yep, Real got out their big shopping cart and threw both Heinze and Robben in there. Hope they have a good physio!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Death to Ben Olsen! Fiery car wreck! Foot in a blender! or at least some McDonald's coffee up close and personal!

oops.

sorry. it just slipped out.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I'm totally embarrassed at the pathetic goings on at my football club. We finally look like we are getting somewhere and we shoot ourselves in the foot after losing two fucking games (although it's much much deeper than that and far more political). It's ridiclous. Every successful side of recent years has had a strong manager - Shankly, Clough, Dalglish, Ferguson, Wenger and Mourinho etc. So what does Levy and co do? Completely humiliate and undermine ours. Notwithstanding an amazing run of victories (starting with Manure and Arse :shock: ) there is no way I can see him lasting the season. Everyone knew he was expected to deliver more this year, so why pile more pressure on the bloke.

You will always be a hero to me, Martin. You turned our club around and got things back on track after the Santini debacle (instigated by Levy). Sometimes you get it wrong abd sometimes you're a little too loyal - but doesn't every coach make mistakes? But how we can consider getting rid of you is beyond me. You are the coolest manager in the prem and they treat you like shit. I'm just praying you don't tell the wankers to stick their job. God knows that you wouldn't be looking for a new one for long. Damien Comolli can piss off as far as I'm concerned.......and he can take the likes of Ghally and Essou-Ekotto with him......people forget that he is the one spending the cash - not MJ.
corruptio optimi pessima
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Bellett's probably better than Alves anyway!
I saw Alves at WHL last year and I have to say (on the basis of the two legs) that there is no way he is worth the kind of cash Sevilla were asking for. He's also a nasty cheating little scrotebag fuck (no offence meant). IMHO there is no way any club should be paying megabucks for full-backs.

It's good to see Chelsea using their common sense and not being held to ransom. It can only be good for English football.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

That's a really unfortunate situation with Martin Jol. I really like the guy a lot. He deserves better treatment.

BTW, look what I made. This is a project I've been working on with an Arsenal supporter for a little over a year now. We've covered almost the entirety of Europe (just added Turkey and Russia last night, with Greece to be added within the week). As a cartography and football nut, this is right up my alley, but it's taken a lot of research.

http://www.footiemap.com/

The England map, which was the first one, is in bad need of an overhaul (on a larger scale), which is a project we hope to get to before the end of the year.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:...
http://www.footiemap.com/

The England map, which was the first one, is in bad need of an overhaul (on a larger scale), which is a project we hope to get to before the end of the year.
Looks fab so far, but don't forget that Tyneside is more than just the Black & White scum:
http://www.southshields-sanddancers.co. ... l_club.htm

http://www.gateshead-fc.com/
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Otis Westinghouse

Blimey, Cambridge includes not only Conference Cambridge Utd but the even more lowly Cambridge City and the Histon Hornets! If you go to Cambridge City, locate the blue icon to the right of the name and take a couple of steps upwards, and you're at my front door!

What an incredible undertaking! You stars and nutjobs. Well done.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Blimey, Cambridge includes not only Conference Cambridge Utd but the even more lowly Cambridge City and the Histon Hornets! If you go to Cambridge City, locate the blue icon to the right of the name and take a couple of steps upwards, and you're at my front door!

What an incredible undertaking! You stars and nutjobs. Well done.
I can see your house from here! ;-)

Thanks. Yes, with England things have gotten a little out of hand. There are so many club tags and balls on the map that you can hardly see anything. That's why an overhaul is so badly needed. Currently we cover the top six divisions in England. Erik the Arsenal supporter maintains that country, not me.

The big holes remaining IMO are Mexico and Argentina, but to some extent we are at the mercy of Google maps, and they seem to be taking their sweet time filling in detail there. Now that we have it all set up, with our administrative technology it's pretty easy to carry over from one season to the next and not have to do too much work. Setting up a new country, especially something like Greece or Russia, where you are dealing with not only a foreign language but a foreign alphabet, is a bit more of a challenge.

The thing I love about it is that you can see how football-mad some cities and parts of the world are - 13 clubs in the top two Greek divisions are located in Athens, there are 7 in Istanbul, and 25 or so just in greater London. Then there's Italy, which I had to take over for another guy who threw in the towel. That's been a bit of a challenge.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Will just look at this for a little while. Satisfying reading.

:D :D
Otis Westinghouse

If only Portsmouth had got the goal they deserved...

At least Arsenal managed to beat the Svensters, but sodding Van Perise got nul points. good job I didn't make him captain.

Come on you Spurs!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:If only Portsmouth had got the goal they deserved...
Yep. Shame that useless tosser Ashley Cole cleared off the line.
Otis Westinghouse wrote:Come on you Spurs!
:shock: :shock:

You really are a masochist!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

United were the beneficiary of a lot of luck and one really bad call by the ref. Otis, I await your moral outrage that Webb got the handball decision wrong. We need to be consistent with these things, you know.

Rio is garbage. He kept that one from Berbatov from rolling over the line but was otherwise very shaky.

PS - WTF is wrong with Chris Eagles' hair? Looks like he got in a fight with a lawnmower and lost.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I thought the handball was dubious, and the ref got it right (last week was a dubious penalty to Chels and should not have been given but not as b&w as the media made out). I'm gonna hate Nani, great goal but otherwise spent the game rolling around whenever anyone went near him.
Utd will get into gear once Roni & roo ( & saha) come back but will struggle for goals when they are without them. Still think utd will win prem. Bale looked good on debut, still not sure what JM sees in Huddlestone and also not sure what pos Keane is meant to be playing.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:I thought the handball was dubious, and the ref got it right (last week was a dubious penalty to Chels and should not have been given but not as b&w as the media made out). I'm gonna hate Nani, great goal but otherwise spent the game rolling around whenever anyone went near him.
Look a pretty clear handball to me. I can imagine what Fergie would be saying if it had been them denied a penalty in a similar fashion. No big deal. Refs make mistakes. They only get nationally persecuted when it goes against Liverpool.

Webb was poorly positioned to see it, but I think his assistant should have caught it. Looked like it went off Brown's upper arm. Here's the thing I don't get. If a defender, between the attacker and the goal, slides to clear a goal-bound shot away and in doing so puts himself in a position to block a shot with his arm, how can that not be considered intentional? If he weren't on the ground, the ball would not have hit his arm.

Bale has a bit of a caveman look about him. Like Tevez.
Otis Westinghouse

Absolutely clear on the repeted MOTD2 replay that it was chest not arm, and linesman had a clear view. Great goal. Three points, phew.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

I agree with Otis that it wasn't handball and with everyone else that Jol is being treated atrociously.
Now, as a faithful Gooner, I need to lie down.

PS Bale looks to me like a young Sicknote.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Agree with SLL about Nani. How he got Player of the Match is beyond me :? . That should have gone to Bale, who looked very good. Once he learns to stop running into blind alleys, he could be the bees nuts.

Spurs very unlucky and deserved more. Not long until we get Dawson, Kaboul, Lennon and King back. Might be too long for MJ though :(

Overall, this match emphasised to me how ridiculous the MJ witch hunt has been. Before Jol, we always went to OT and capitulated.

The Arsenal match is set to become an exceptionally important game for us now.
corruptio optimi pessima
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I saw about (kiss, kiss SoL) 6 different angles on that handball thing. In all but one, it appeared to hit him on his pec, but the one showed it hitting his arm at pec level. I wouldn't presume to say that is or isn't a handball. I do presume to say that the white stripes are confusing (who is player Y anyway? or was that a psi?) and it would be a lot cooler if the pumas were facing the roosters.
Otis Westinghouse

Player of the match for that sweet strike! Agree totally about MJ. Alan Green reckons the writing is on the wall and Levy et al's minds are made up. Arseholes if so.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:I do presume to say that the white stripes are confusing (who is player Y anyway? or was that a psi?) and it would be a lot cooler if the pumas were facing the roosters.
You mean on the Tottenham shirt? They're chickens. ;-)

Yeah, what's the story with the white stripes down the back of the new ManU shirt? Skunks United.

I need to get me one of the new dayglo Chelsea away shirts. Perfect for a nighttime stroll around town or some light construction work. Hell, you could probably see me from outer space in that thing.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I am not and never will be a jersey girl, but them Gals aways - sweeeeeeet.