Mary Margaret O'Hara

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
johnfoyle

Mary Margaret O'Hara

Post by johnfoyle »

From legendary producer Joe Boyd's latest newsletter -

My subsequent stop in Toronto revealed that Mary Margaret O'Hara will be re-releasing Miss America. I am very pleased about this, partly because it's a wonderful record and partly because Mary has promised to correct the cover copy that failed to credit me with co-producing most of the tracks. I had originally tried to sign Mary Margaret to Hannibal, but my proposal was trumped by one from Virgin. When Mary suggested I ought to produce it, Virgin snorted and said they wanted a proper 'commercial' production, not a 'Joe Boyd' record. They brought her and her great Canadian band to Rockville Studios in Wales and put them together with Andy Partridge of XTC, a man evidently unfamiliar with the concept of everyone playing together live in the studio. The Canadians rebelled, so they sent for me. We cut an lp's worth of tracks but my schedule and Mary's plans for finishing the record at a leisurely Ontario pace didn't gel, so it came out much later with Michael Brook credited as producer. Most of the tracks are the ones we recorded in Wales.

http://www.joeboyd.co.uk/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Margaret_O'Hara
Last edited by johnfoyle on Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who Shot Sam?

Re: Mary Margaret O’Hara

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

johnfoyle wrote:They brought her and her great Canadian band to Rockville Studios in Wales and put them together with Andy Partridge of XTC, a man evidently unfamiliar with the concept of everyone playing together live in the studio.
Yeah what's Andy Partridge ever done? :roll:

This guy sounds like a bit of an egomaniac.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Yeah what's Andy Partridge ever done?

This guy sounds like a bit of an egomaniac.
Agreed that hes not being very nice to Young Mr Partridge - but when youve produced the stuff that Boyd has you can probably afford to be a little snarky, as much as I love XTC, as a producer Boyd is indeed a legend.

Arnold Layne - Pink Floyd
Unhalfbricking - Fairport Convention
Five Leaves Left - Nick Drake
Liege & Lief - Fairport Convention
Just Another Diamond Day - Vashti Bunyan
Bryter Layter- Nick Drake
Stormbringer! - John and Beverley Martyn
Full House -Fairport Convention
Dancer With Bruised Knees -Kate and Anna Mcgarrigle
Shoot Out the Lights - Richard and Linda Thompson
Worker's Playtime - Billy Bragg
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
johnfoyle

Re: Mary Margaret O’Hara

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.believermag.com/

From Believer, July/Aug.'09-

Q: You only put out one full-length studio album, in 1988.

MARY MARGARET O'HARA: I now own that album, Miss America, 'I don't have a website of my own. Someone bought my name years ago and made a website. Someone made a MySpace page but I don't have anything to do with that, either. A friend applied to iTunes for me about a year ago, but they said to try somewhere else as they had to much of a backlog at that time. I guess I should have tried somewhere else, but I've just sat on it. So would you do me a favor? Include my Hotmail address (m2oh8@hotmail.com) in the magazine , so people who may want to buy Miss America can order it directly from me. I see it for sale on the internet and I don't know where these records are coming from. That would be great. I totally understand if it's out of the question... but what was the question?