Bruce Springsteen's "Magic"

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Came by UPS yesterday and looking forward to hearing it on a road trip which we will be leaving for in a few hours. :-)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

spooky girlfriend wrote:Came by UPS yesterday and looking forward to hearing it on a road trip which we will be leaving for in a few hours. :-)
Enjoy your trip spooky. Where are you off to?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

A trip to Knoxville, TN, ultimately, where Doc has a speaking engagement this weekend to pitch his software to a group of Physics nerds. I won't be in the room for that. :-) I don't think. :roll:

On the way, we will stop by my dad's house, who lives about 1 hour north of Chattanooga. Might stop through Chattanooga and try to see Jess for a few mintues if her schedule permits. Not a lot of driving to be done, but just looping around the Tennessee valley. My dad and stepmom live on a farm with NO internet access, so that is the only time I won't have on the net. In Knoxville, we will be at the Hilton and I can check in on things again.

Looking forward to a road trip with Bruce in the background.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Sounds good. Enjoy!
migdd

Post by migdd »

Have a great time on your trip Spooky! Is Jess enrolled at UTC (my alma mater)?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

:o Mine and Doc's alma mater as well! And yes, that's where she is.

She called yesterday to say that her roommates think she went sleepwalking in the middle of the night two nights ago. What am I going to do with that girl?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

spooky girlfriend wrote:She called yesterday to say that her roommates think she went sleepwalking in the middle of the night two nights ago. What am I going to do with that girl?
My son, who is five, is a sleepwalker. He gets up every night and has a little stroll around upstairs. I don't know what to do about it, if anything. I've been just bringing him back to his room and tucking him in again. Seems to work, but I have to think it could get dangerous if he tried to go downstairs in the dark.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Well, this is the same set of stairs that she already tripped and broke her foot on. I swear, she was fine when she left here a few months ago. Since then we've had a broken foot, kidney stones, and now this.

She lives on the third floor of an apartment building where the rooms are accessed on the outside, like a courtyard hotel sort of. So she comes directly out of her room to the outside and then down three flights of stairs right out into the big open world. They awoke the day after this incident with the apartment door wide open, a sweatshirt on a hanger that Jess had not worn the day before, and one of the roommates saying that Jess had asked them to leave the door open for her while she was gone.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Bruce is EVIL
signed with love and vicious kisses
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Bruce not evil. :-)

Bruce good. Sounds like Bruce from the 80s.

I like the pic inside the cd case with the medals on his chest. Almost as good as the ass covered album over 20 years ago. :-)

Oh yeah, and the music is excellent as well.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Even better than Bruce from the 80's -- Bruce from the 70's!

But I want to know who those old men are on the cover? It is hard to believe that could be the E-Street Band. :)
colrow26

Post by colrow26 »

Reckon its his best since Darkness on the edge of town - fave track at the moment, Devils arcade
...I want him to hurt...
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,306164,00.html

Bruce: Magic Refused Radio Play

Bruce Springsteen should be very happy. He has the No. 1 album, a possible Grammy for Best Album of the Year, for "Magic," an album full of singles, and a sold-out concert tour.

Alas, there’s a hitch: Radio will not play "Magic." In fact, sources tell me that Clear Channel has sent an edict to its classic rock stations not to play tracks from "Magic." But it’s OK to play old Springsteen tracks such as "Dancing in the Dark," "Born to Run" and "Born in the USA."

Just no new songs by Springsteen, even though it’s likely many radio listeners already own the album and would like to hear it mixed in with the junk offered on radio.

Why? One theory, says a longtime rock insider, "is that the audience knows those songs. Of course, they’ll never know these songs if no one plays them."

"Magic," by the way, has sold more than 500,000 copies since its release on Oct. 2 and likely will hit the million mark. That’s not a small achievement these days, and one that should be embraced by Clear Channel.

But what a situation: The No. 1 album is not being played on any radio stations, according to Radio & Records, which monitors such things. Nothing. The rock songs aren’t on rock radio, the two standout "mellow" tracks — "Magic" and "Devil’s Arcade" aren’t even on "lite" stations.

The singles-kinda-hits, "Radio Nowhere" and "Living in the Future" — which would have been hits no questions asked in the '70s, '80s and maybe even the '90s, also are absent from Top 40.

What to do? Columbia Records is said to be readying a remixed version of "The Girls in their Summer Clothes," a poppy Beach Boys-type track that has such a catchy hook fans were singing along to it at live shows before they had the album. Bruce insiders are hopeful that with a push from Sony, "Girls" will triumph.

I’m not so sure.

Clear Channel seems to have sent a clear message to other radio outlets that at age 58 Springsteen simply is too old be played on rock stations. This completely absurd notion is one of many ways Clear Channel has done more to destroy the music business than downloading over the last 10 years. It’s certainly what’s helped create satellite radio, where Springsteen is a staple and even has his own channel on Sirius.

It’s not just Springsteen. There is no sign at major radio stations of new albums by John Fogerty or Annie Lennox, either. The same stations that should be playing Santana’s new singles with Chad Kroeger or Tina Turner are avoiding them, too.

Like Springsteen, these "older" artists have been relegated to something called Triple A format stations — i.e. either college radio or small artsy stations such as WFUV in the Bronx, N.Y., which are immune from the Clear Channel virus of pre-programming, and where the number of plays per song is a fraction of what it is on commercial radio.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

boy the Board frenzy on this descended even faster than Bruce is descending the charts? no, the Rising Sucks, no nothin'. anyone still got it in heavy rotation? i like it; it was welcome and fun. but it has failed to stick to my ribs. what's up?
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

boo, ClearChannel is pure evil. They own Ticketbastard as well, so they have the whole market just about sewn up. If only I were an attorney general.

I saw the new album while I was shopping at A&P this past weekend. If they still have it when I go by on Saturday to get my Thanksgiving shopping done I will have to pick it up.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I still am enjoying the album very much. I think the consensus on it has been a lot stronger than for The Rising, hence less overall discussion. Once everyone has said "I like it" there's not much more to talk about!

What I like best about it is there are no clunker tracks. While some songs really stand out for me, they're all good. I don't think there are any huge lyrical surprises, but I feel like the Boss took some time with these.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

A bunch of new dates have been announced, so if Bruce missed your town on the last jaunt, this should open things up a bit:

Europe:

11-25 Madrid, Spain - Palacio de Deportes
11-26 Bilbao, Spain - Bilbao Exhibition Centre
11-28 Milan, Italy - Datch Forum
11-30 Arnhem, Netherlands - Gelredome
12-02 Mannheim, Germany - SAP Arena
12-04 Oslo, Norway - Oslo Spektrum
12-08 Copenhagen, Denmark - Forum Copenhagen
12-10 Stockholm, Sweden - Globe Arena
12-12 Antwerp, Belgium - Sportspaleis
12-13 Cologne, Germany - Köln Arena
12-15 Belfast, Northern Ireland - Odyssey Arena
12-17 Paris, France - Palais Omnisports de Paris-Bercy
12-19 London, England - O2 Arena

Back to the U.S. and Canada:

02-28 Hartford, CT - Hartford Civic Center Coliseum
03-02 Montreal, Quebec - Bell Centre
03-03 Hamilton, Ontario - Copps Coliseum
03-06 Rochester, NY - Blue Cross Arena
03-07 Buffalo, NY - HSBC Arena
03-10 Hempstead, NY - Nassau Coliseum
03-14 Omaha, NE - Qwest Center
03-16 Saint Paul, MN - Xcel Energy Center
03-17 Milwaukee, WI - Bradley Center
03-20 Indianapolis, IN - Conseco Center
03-22 Cincinnati, OH - US Bank Arena
03-24 Columbus, OH - Schottenstein Center
03-28 Portland, OR - Rose Garden
03-29 Seattle, WA - Key Arena
03-31 Vancouver, British Columbia - GM Place
04-04 Sacramento, CA - Arco Arena
04-05 San Jose, CA - HP Pavilion
04-07 Anaheim, CA - Honda Center
04-08 Anaheim, CA - Honda Center
04-13 Dallas, TX - TBA
04-14 Houston, TX - TBA
04-18 Ft. Lauderdale, FL - Bank Atlantic Center
04-19 Orlando, FL - Amway Arena
04-21 Tampa, FL - St. Pete Times Forum
04-25 Atlanta, GA - Philips Arena
04-27 Charlotte, NC - Bobcat Arena
04-28 Greensboro, NC - Greensboro Coliseum
04-30 Charlottesville, VA - John Paul Jones Arena
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Hooray Dallas!
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Hooray Greensboro! I've never seen Bruce and I am very, very excited about this.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Very good and funny review by Phil Hogan of Observer of the first night of the tour - Madrid. Sounds thrilling. Phil H is a big EC fan too. Once read a funny article about him meeting his hero and being totally in awe.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/s ... 87,00.html

Haven't got Magic, but this article reminds me I must.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
BlueChair

Re: Bruce Springsteen's "Magic"

Post by BlueChair »

USA Today has a close look at Bruce Springsteen's iPod. Evidently the man is more on top of some contemporary bands than I thought!
http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news ... teen_N.htm
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.