Elvis to Play Hillary Clinton's Birthday Bash, NY, Oct.25th

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071026/pl_ ... irthday_dc
Costello, who sang "Happy Birthday Mrs. President" and delivered raucous versions of hit songs including "Pump it Up," was joined by actor-comedian Billy Crystal, former President Bill Clinton and several members of New York's Congressional delegation.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/26/us/po ... llary.html
Mrs. Clinton, whose birthday is today, celebrated with a concert featuring Elvis Costello and the Wallflowers. Former President Bill Clinton introduced her to the audience; the couple mostly delivered their typical campaign remarks.

At one point, Mr. Costello drew applause for defending the notion of questioning authority as an act of patriotism.

At the end, he led the audience in serenading Mrs. Clinton with “Happy Birthdayâ€
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

At one point, Mr. Costello drew applause for defending the notion of questioning authority as an act of patriotism.
Can't wait to hear him question authority when Hillary is in office.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

It's not going to get to that. If the Dems nominate Hillary they are toast, again.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
And No Coffee Table

"Happy Birthday" video (preceded by a bit of Bill Clinton talking):

http://video.ap.org/v/Default.aspx?part ... us&f=NYPLA&
alexv

Post by alexv »

Sam, if I were a betting man I would bet the mortgage on Hillary becoming our next President. It is a certainty that the Democratic nominee will be our next President, and I don't see Hillary losing the Dem's nomination. I thought Bill was our best President since Ronnie, and although I am not a Hillary fan, and she ain't no Bill, I think it's time for the Dems to get back in power, and it warms my heart to think of Bill back in the mix.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

alexv wrote:Sam, if I were a betting man I would bet the mortgage on Hillary becoming our next President. It is a certainty that the Democratic nominee will be our next President, and I don't see Hillary losing the Dem's nomination. I thought Bill was our best President since Ronnie, and although I am not a Hillary fan, and she ain't no Bill, I think it's time for the Dems to get back in power, and it warms my heart to think of Bill back in the mix.
I just think that the people who are most motivated to vote (and who vote most regularly) hate her. For me, she doesn't have the kind of personality that engenders a lot of passion or makes people rush out to the polls. She could have a tough time in fairly conservative states like Ohio and Florida. The idea of a Hillary Clinton presidency fills me with marginally less dread than a Giuliani or McCain presidency, for example, and I find that depressing. Same crap, different packaging.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
alexv

Post by alexv »

I see your points, but i think a couple of things will put her over the top: first, I think this election is strikingly similar to the Carter/Ford election. Nixon made such a mess of things that there was no way that any Republican candidate could win, and thus the Presidency would go to whatever candidate got the Democractic nod. That was Carter, er Jimmy. I think Bush's tenure has been as incendiary, for different reasons, as Nixon's and there is no way any Republican can overcome the negative climate created during Bush's tenure (not all of it of his own making). So, whoever wins the Democratic nomination will win. Which brings me to the second point. What's Hillary's competition? Obama? too young, too soon, and if viewed on the merits not ready to be President. In fact, what has this guy done? Edwards? In my view, he's too bland and doesn't want it enough. So, by default, Hillary,unlikable as she admittedly is, will win, despite the voter reservations you talk about. She is very shrewd, and has the massive desire to be President that is the single most important trait in a successful candidate. And she has the money, which is the second. And she is a woman (barely) and darn it, it's time....it's time....it's time (to get us back to the EC thread).
alexv

Post by alexv »

Why is it that my posts get duplicate numbers? How am I expected to enter Elite Poster status when two of my posts count as one? Moderator?
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

He should have done a Marilyn Monroe impersonation, complete with lipstick and wig......

alexv - its a conspiracy by the secret board elite to keep them - well - elite!
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

alexv wrote:Why is it that my posts get duplicate numbers? How am I expected to enter Elite Poster status when two of my posts count as one? Moderator?
Are they actually duplicating, or are you referring to the number 534? Cause that's your total number of posts, not a number that pertains to that particular post. The number will change on all your posts every time you post.

How many posts could a poster post if a poster could post post?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
And No Coffee Table

http://www.spiegel.de/international/wor ... 58,00.html
You don't ask a lady her age. At least that's how gentleman rocker Elvis Costello was brought up. "I thought it was impolite," he says, taking another sip from his coffee mug.

But this is different. Everyone knows her age, everyone talks about it, even she doesn't deny it. Besides, this party is for a good cause -- to finance a presidential run. So be it then: "Good wishes to the senator for her birthday," says Costello. "Let's hope that pretty soon someone brings back the music into the White House."

That someone is standing nearby, beaming in one of her many black pantsuits, combined with a silk blouse and a single string of pearls: Hillary Clinton, her hair teased into a sugary sculpture, her face as shiny as a polished Golden Delicious apple.

The entire audience -- 3,900 friends, fans and assorted cohorts -- jumps to its feet. Led by Costello and the rock band The Wallflowers, they drag through the obligatory rendition of "Happy Birthday." Only the punch line is different: "Happy Birthday, Mrs. President!"

[...]

Costello, himself already 53, plays a few songs, including "The Scarlet Tide," which was featured in the 2003 movie "Cold Mountain," and the 1977 classic "Alison." The guests dance in the aisles, with Clinton leading the way. Cell phone cameras click everywhere.

The Wallflowers join Costello on the stage, which is subtly decorated with silk curtains and lattice-work. Their lead singer is Jakob Dylan, son of Bob Dylan, who's sitting up front. It feels like a class reunion of the 60's.
And No Coffee Table

http://shorefire.com/blog/2007/10/peace ... llary.html
"Peace, Love & Understanding" never gets old to me, the song and the sentiment. Last night (and what a thrilling, exciting night!) at Hillary Clinton’s 60th Birthday Party at the Beacon Theater, Elvis Costello just tore that song up backed by the Wallflowers, the first time I’d seen him in a triple-rock-guitar lineup. An electrified Elvis followed that with a manic two-chord garage rock workout on Pump It Up. But let's back up a second from these encore songs.

Costello, on an off-day from his tour opening for Bob Dylan, was the hand-picked headline music at Hillary's birthday, with the Wallflowers opening and Billy Crystal hosting and joking. Starting his set, E.C. bounded on stage with an acoustic guitar and launched into Red Shoes to loud cheers, and then proceeded with a passionate Either Side of the Same Town (one of my favorite of his recent songs), a staccato and propulsive Veronica, and an accusatory River in Reverse. He pulled out a song called, I think, Sulphur to Sugarcane, identified as an old political number (don't quote me), into Alison, and then, finally, an apropos, chilling reading of The Scarlet Tide*, a song that always brings a tear to my eye. The Clintons were among the first to jump up from their seats to lead a standing ovation and, later, were incredibly gracious and laudatory in their public remarks that followed the music. It was a great set which I was very happy to see, since I haven't made it to any of the current solo gigs.

Finally, at the close of the night, Costello and the Wallflowers sang Happy Birthday, with Elvis Costello putting on a wonderful Elvis Presley croon and inserting "Happy Birthday Mrs. President," an update of the famous Marilyn Monroe line.

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

some nice photos here:

http://wonkette.com/politics/hillary.s- ... 315545.php

http://wonkette.com/photogallery/hillar ... hbirthday/

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 747812.ece

http://www.denverpost.com/celebritybuzz/ci_7288366

Setlist from wiki:

01. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
02. Either Side Of The Same Town
03. Veronica
04. The River In Reverse
05. From Sulfur To Sugar Cane
06. Alison
07. The Scarlet Tide
08. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - with The Wallflowers
09. Pump It Up - with The Wallflowers
10. Happy Birthday - with The Wallflowers, as "Happy Birthday, Mrs. President"

Account from listserv:

Elvis came out all alone after a really funny Billy Crystal and some
Democratic party guy and the Wallflowers. He was all in black with the cool
silver boots. He sang Red Shoes, Either Side of the Same Town, Veronica,
an old song from the 1930's (Sulpher in the title), River in Reverse (and
perhaps I'm forgetting a few others - sorry) Allison and the Scarlet Tide
and then, the Walllfowers came back out and they backed up Elvis on PLU and
Pump it Up. Elvis did a bit of chatty banter and told a story about seeing
Arnold Swartzenegger in a fancy restaurant and wondering what he could say
to him and about how the twins could run for President because they were
born here but Arnold can't... He also said he related to Bill Clinton
because he's in the same profession as his wife...
Then Bill and Chelsea came on stage and Bill gave a speech, including
saying how great Elvis is and how they are friends... then Hillary spoke and
praised Elvis again (as "one of the all-time great rockers" or something
like that) and then Elvis and the Wallflowers came out and Elvis sang "Happy
Birthday Mrs. President" .
Elvis sounded wonderful - he stepped away from the mike a few times - I
love when he does that, but sadly there were quite a few knuckleheads in the
audience who talked through most of the evening.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
migdd

Post by migdd »