Recently viewed films

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Those sound pretty interesting, Blue. Especially the Young People Fucking. Funny how many different circumstances lead people to end up together.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

We're hosting a Movie Night on Friday, theme: Movies about the Future. I picked Brazil and Sleeper.

I told my friends the refreshments would be beer and microwave popcorn, and now they're accusing me of trying to off them.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

miss buenos aires wrote:We're hosting a Movie Night on Friday, theme: Movies about the Future. I picked Brazil and Sleeper.
Good choices. I think I'd pick Logan's Run, for camp value and its gratuitous shots of a half-naked Jenny Agutter.

Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I'm sure those weren't gratuitous...

Expository! Absolutely expository!

Anyway, I saw Wild Hogs on dvd over the labor day weekend, and I have to say the beginning and the end were pretty darn funny. Glad I didn't see it in theaters, but it had it's (adam sandler-esque) moments.

We also saw the Simpsons movie a while back - I was vaguely disappointed. The best part for me was the previews for a something with Steve Carell as a single dad that's coming out maybe at Christmas? Dan in Real Life. Looked very very promising to me.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Ive seen too good films recently. The interesting and entertaining Eastern Promises and Ben Afflecks Gone, Baby, Gone.

The latter is almost perfect - like a taut more down to earth and less hysterical version of Mystic River. Who would have thought that - to me it seems like Ben Affleck is the brain behind the good things in Good Will Hunting
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Apparently Gone, Baby Gone won't be released here. Too close to the Madeleine McCann case, and the girl bears a resemblance. Do the parents end up being proven guilty in the film, someone else, or do we never find out?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6992601.stm
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
miss buenos aires

Saw Delirious last night, with an unexpected cameo by EC. (Unexpected because, apparently, I've been spending too much time away from the board.) There's a great line where Steve Buscemi, playing a paparazzo, says, "Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a picture of Elvis Costello without his hat on?" So true...
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Apparently Gone, Baby Gone won't be released here. Too close to the Madeleine McCann case, and the girl bears a resemblance. Do the parents end up being proven guilty in the film, someone else, or do we never find out?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6992601.stm
Nope - its not like the misfire 'Freedomland'. It's not that close to the Madeleine story at all...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Tarantino's Death Proof is dreadful. Weak, unsympathetic characters doing really stupid things and taking two hours to do it. What really bogs it down is that , occasionally , there is a effort to flesh out the roles which only serves to show up the rest. Technically it's interesting in it's evocation of cheapo film making and an astonishingly long take in a diner in the second half. The sparse audience I saw it with this evening ( a rugby match was on TV at the time which probably didn't help) were stone cold silent for the duration. A friend sat next to Quentin at a Dublin preview last week and told me he spent the time looking around at people's reaction; they loved it, whupped it up , the usual sycophantic gratis-crowd reaction ( you'd never guess I'm miffed at not getting a invite , would you?) .

Bacharach, Williams & David's Baby It's You is used nicely in both segments , Smith's 1969 version followed by a character singing along to a unheard version on a iPod.
Otis Westinghouse

Finally got to see Atonement. I loved the book, couldn't put it down, a truly gripping and thrilling piece of writing. I wouldn't want to have the thrill of the book spoilt by the film, so would advice anyone to read it first, but it was a good enough account. Pretty faithful to the book. Well acted, McAvoy in particular. Knightley not as annoying as she might be. Lovely eyes and face in general, but the pouty mouth is too much. She's a bit vacant. And she needs to eat more pies. It looked good, but it all felt a bit superficial, knowing the depth that lay behind each element in prose.

Got my tickets to see Control when it opens here on Friday. I don't think I've ever done that with a film before, the way I would with an anticipated CD, but I've never anticipate a film in quite the same way before. Taking my teenage son, who is the age I was, almost, when I fell for the strange and wonderful new beast on the NME cover that was Joy Division. They looked and sounded like no-one else, and although I was too young to be into punk when it happened. I was the perfect age for this, and nothing can quite beat being into an incredible new group as their story unfolds (all too briefly, as it turned out).
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Bollocks to poxy Atonement - the solacklustre clan went to see Run Fatboy Run, surely in the frame for an oscar or two. Actually it was much better than expected, a pretty formulaic romcom, but with lots of funny bits.
signed with love and vicious kisses
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Saw The Darjeeling Limited, the latest film by Wes Anderson, earlier this week. I know there's a lot of polarized opinion of Anderson and his work, but I've always enjoyed his films so it was an easy decision to go see this one, which I've been excited by for some time.

Owen Wilson, Jason Schartzman and Adrien Brody are more believable as brothers than I thought they would be, and while there are quirks and charicatures abound in this one, it's a bit more believable than Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou which was kind of out there. There's also a lot more emotion to the story, which kind of takes you back to the emotional core of Rushmore.

Like any Wes Anderson movie, the visuals are stunning - the filming was all done in India, so we get to soak in the beautiful scenary for an hour-and-a-half. The soundtrack is also great, a mix of Anderson's usual Kinks, Stones and other miscellenia plus music taken from the films of Merchant & Ivory.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Finally got around to watching Children of Men last night, and was a bit disappointed. Liked the futuristic nightmare premise, liked the look of the film, liked Clive Owen, but I felt that they didn't really take the idea anywhere. Lots of action, realistic car chases and shootouts, people chasing each other around, but that's about it.
miss buenos aires

BlueChair wrote:Saw The Darjeeling Limited, the latest film by Wes Anderson, earlier this week. I know there's a lot of polarized opinion of Anderson and his work, but I've always enjoyed his films so it was an easy decision to go see this one, which I've been excited by for some time.

Owen Wilson, Jason Schartzman and Adrien Brody are more believable as brothers than I thought they would be, and while there are quirks and charicatures abound in this one, it's a bit more believable than Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou which was kind of out there. There's also a lot more emotion to the story, which kind of takes you back to the emotional core of Rushmore.

Like any Wes Anderson movie, the visuals are stunning - the filming was all done in India, so we get to soak in the beautiful scenary for an hour-and-a-half. The soundtrack is also great, a mix of Anderson's usual Kinks, Stones and other miscellenia plus music taken from the films of Merchant & Ivory.
I'm a little meh on Wes Anderson, but Adrien Brody and Jason Schwartzman are major eye candy for me, so I can put up with some preciousness for that.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0889136/

Saw Kings , a Irish film about the emigrant experience in London. It was excellent , constantly involving, entirely believable. Donal O'Kelly is astounding in it , dominating every scene he is in. Thing is, he's a regular, daily customer of my shop. I was aware he acted, usually theatre, some TV soaps etc. When this film opened a few weeks ago I saw his face in the poster and mentioned to him one day that l looked forward to seeing it. He grinned and muttered something about it being 'grim stuff'. I assumed he'd have a small role . What I saw floored me - a performance , all stubble 'n fat face 'n starey eyes , that soars over everyone else. I'm seriously expecting to be tongue-tied next time he appears in. The film has been selected as the Irish entry for the Foreign Language Oscar . Come next year you could all be hearing much more about this.
Otis Westinghouse

Sounds great, thanks for tip. Can't think who Donal O'Kelly is.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Anyone see The Wicker Man? Not the original, but the fairly recent remake with Nicolas Cage? What an incredible train wreck of a movie! From the ludicrous plot (a sort of misogynist fever dream) to the idiotic dialogue to the heavy-handed imagery to the performances themselves, which are just terrible across the board (though none worse than Cage's), it's the sort of movie that you can't help but continue to watch, even as it descends further and further into farce. The best bad film I've seen in a long long time.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Clearly, you don't get the Sci Fi channel.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I like the orignal Wicker Man but I haven't seen the remake, in fact I've avoided it.

Saw Stardust today , a reasonable family fantasy flick with an excellent supporting role from Robert De Niro, also a fun cameo from Ricky Gervais.
signed with love and vicious kisses
colrow26

Post by colrow26 »

Anyone seen "Rendition"?
...I want him to hurt...
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

yes - the actors are sleepwalking and its toothless as f...
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Last night we saw our favorite movie, A Nightmare Before Christmas, in 3D. Loads of fun.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Saw "Into the Wild" - thought it was great - very emotional, very moving and containing many home truths - will have to read the book now.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
miss buenos aires

pophead2k wrote:Last night we saw our favorite movie, A Nightmare Before Christmas, in 3D. Loads of fun.
We're going to see that on Halloween!
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Saw Lars & The Real Girl this afternoon. It was a nice, cute, quirky film. Ryan Gosling plays a character who has trouble connecting socially with people until he orders (via internet) a human looking sex-doll. She is a real person to him. The small town he lives in all play along with the rouse, because he is such a nice guy. Eventually the town folk treat her as real too.
The film reminded me of The Station Agent, not only because Patricia Clarkson is in it, but the humor and look of the film was similar. Mr. Gosling did a fine job also
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain