Thoughts for the nation of Poland

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
pophead2k

Thoughts for the nation of Poland

Post by pophead2k »

Such horrible news today. Poland's contributions to western civilization are too numerous to mention. My thoughts are with our Polish friends.
invisible Pole

Re: Thoughts for the nation of Poland

Post by invisible Pole »

Thank you, pophead. Your words and thoughts are much appreciated.
This is a horrible tragedy for Poland.
And they were all going to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the massacre of thousands of Poles by Soviet NKVD forces in nearby Katyn woods.
Sad beyond words.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
migdd

Post by migdd »

An almost unthinkable trajedy at what was supposed to be a time of healing. My thoughts go out to our neighbor in Eastern Europe.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Indeed. My deepest condolences to everyone in Poland. Devastating tragedy.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

It is too early for me to absorb it all-too many associations[Katjin Woods, ghettoes] generations of promise wiped out and now yet again a new generation decimated. This land is haunted.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

It's not just the president and the 10 or so other top brass singled out in the papers - it's everyone else who was on that plane. The country's intellectual elite. Political and social activists, top thinkers, basically some of Poland's most influential leaders. My family in Poland - who were far from ever being supporters of Mr. Kaczynski - are genuinely concerned about the void in leaderships that has resulted from this, at all levels of public life.
I left the country for Canada as a kid in '93, but what I gather from family and friends is that it's going to take an inordinately long time for Poland to dig itself out from under this tragedy.