Elvis & The Sugarcanes, London (UK), June 27, 2010

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis & The Sugarcanes, London (UK), June 27, 2010

Post by sweetest punch »

Mike Compton has a London date for June 27: http://mikecompton.net/calendar.php
Supporting McCartney at Hyde Park?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Jeremy Dylan

Re: Elvis & The Sugarcanes, London (UK), June 27, 2010

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

This would absolutely make my year! I've got tix for HRC and adding EC and the 'canes to the lineup would make my London trip a EC Trifecta (Meltdown + HRC + Liverpool).
terryhurley

Post by terryhurley »

He now refers to it as "costello"
sweetest punch wrote:Mike Compton has a London date for June 27: http://mikecompton.net/calendar.php
Supporting McCartney at Hyde Park?
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

HRC are announcing the rest of the June 27 lineup tomorrow (Tuesday). Fingers crossed.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

I've just bought my ticket for Hyde Park. It would be great if Elvis is on the bill. I'm going because I want to see Macca as I've never seen him before one of the few greats about I've never seen. According to the HRC page on facebook the line up is worth waiting for.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

PAUL McCARTNEY
CROSBY STILLS + NASH
CROWDED HOUSE
ELVIS COSTELLO & THE SUGARCANES

How's that for a day of music! This means I'm now seeing EC three times in my London trip - twice with the 'canes. I'll have had to make an 'ALL HAIL LAUDERDALE' sign to hold up at Hyde Park.
sheeptotheslaughter

Forgot bout this thread before I started the one below. Must be all the excitement. Very good line up, not mad about Crosby Stills and Nash to be honest, quite like Crowded House and I've never seen them before. Should be a very good day out. Are we sure it's the Sugarcanes with him?
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

sheeptotheslaughter wrote:Are we sure it's the Sugarcanes with him?
Mike Compton has June 27 listed as an Elvis gig on his website.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

I'm sure Elvis & Stephen Stills are looking forward to catching up at the hospitality bar...
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

With this in the mix, I'm now seeing Elvis Costello, Richard Thompson, Brad Paisley, Gaslight Anthem, Ben Harper and Relentless 7, Pearl Jam, Stevie Wonder, Elvis Costello and the Sugarcanes, Crowded House, Crosby Stills & Nash, Paul McCartney and Elvis Costello and the Sugarcanes while I'm in London. That's all the gigs I've got booked in at the moment. Anyone got any suggestions for some others? I've got six days with nothing on left to fill (in town from June 15 to June 29).
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Neil.

Post by Neil. »

So, has anyone got anything to say about the Macca gig? And did Elvis join Macca for a singalong, at all?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Setlist from wiki:

Setlist
01. Mystery Train
02. Blame It On Cain
03. Good Year For The Roses
04. New Amsterdam / You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
05. Red Shoes
06. Friend Of The Devil
07. Everyday I Write The Book
08. Don't Lie To Me
09. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
10. Alison / Suspicious Minds
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The audience recording is available on Dime: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=310667
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

So what did we all think? Apart from the weird atmosphere engendered by half the crowd watching a bloody football game on the big screens, I loved it. It's my first Sugarcanes experience and it occurred to me afterward they didn't actually do anything from the record. But I was very happy with what we got... Mystery Train, Blame It On Cain, New Amsterdam, Red Shoes, PLU, Don't Lie to Me and Friend of the Devil were all tunes I was hanging out for.

Don't lie to me!

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sheeptotheslaughter

Thought it was a good show rather than great, Mystery Train,Don't lie to me and "devil" seemed to go down better with the crowd than the Elvis songs with the people around me.
Two of my party (morning red shoes and white "figure") stayed towards the back to watch the football and said Elvis probably got the least reaction from the crowd but that probably had more to do with people being more interested with England playing than anything else.
I did speak to a friend who hadn't seen Elvis for many years and he thought he was very good, and two people sitting next to me on the tube going home said he was "awesome"

But having said that, had a really excellent day out. The weather was wonderful, Mr Thumbs Aloft as someone called him on here recently was superb, apart from the strange patois he spoke every now and again. CSN were better than I thought they would be not being a massive fan and enjoyed Crowded House and Joshua Radin.
The only celeb I saw was Julian Lennon in the Hard Rock bar.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Enjoyed seeing Elv for the first time since 2005, especially as I'd not really expected to on this tour, and have drifted away from him somewhat after the last CD and continued non-touring here. But I was really happy to see the superb Sugarcanes providing god support, they really do sound wonderful. The football thing was totally outrageous. They put a silent screen on round the back of the sound rig purely to get people in earlier and drinking the beer, but it was abusive of EC. Oohs and ahhs as England scored and had one disallowed, etc., EC's audience turning round to see what was going on, everyone texting and looking up. For once it would have been nice if the beautiful game had never been invented (and of course the result underlined that!). I loved the way he looks now. Like Macca, as trim as you could imagine. His suit and hat were very classy. No banter at all, no footie refs, no jokes, just brief band intros and brisk about the business. I loved the way he walked off the stage.

It was a great event, especially as I got half-price tickets for me and the missus off ebay (England v Algeria proved to be a great time to bid!). Always loved Crowded House and really enjoyed seeing their classics for the first time. Am no huge C, S and N fan, but they still sound great, despite too many rock out solos from Stills (good though he is). Covers of Behind Blue Eyes and Ruby Tuesday were good.

Macca! What can you say? Saw him in Madrid 20 years ago, but this was just better all round. Fantastic band with the magnificent Abe Laboriel Jnr thumping the drums. The incredible catalogue mined to the max. So many highlights. Blackbird, Helter Skelter, Paperback Writer, etc. etc. and an incomparably over the top Live and Let Live (fire + fireworks):

Full glorious setlist here.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Great pics jeremy.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 60589.html

MTV Networks' High-Definition Music Channel Palladia Announces Fall Lineup of Exciting Live Music PerformancesSunday, September 5

"Hard Rock Calling 2010": Airs at 9PM*

Shot in London's Hyde Park in June 2010, the 2-hour highlight show features some of rock and R&B's best-known talent including Paul McCartney, Pearl Jam, Stevie Wonder, Elvis Costello, Ben Harper, Crosby, Stills & Nash, Jamiroquai and Crowded House. A 2-hour version will air the Friday after the Palladia premiere on September 10 at 11PM* on VH1's "Friday Night Alright."