Elvis & The Sugarcanes, Atlanta (GA), April 26, 2010

Pretty self-explanatory
FAVEHOUR

Re: Elvis & The Sugarcanes, Atlanta (GA), April 26, 2010

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Wow! Different Finger! Only played live once before that we know of, right, ANCT? March 7, 1981?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

FAVEHOUR wrote:Wow! Different Finger! Only played live once before that we know of, right, ANCT? March 7, 1981?
I read in Beyond Belief (issue 12, page 15) that it was also played January 20, 1981 in Nashville, but I guess there aren't any tapes for that one.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
FAVEHOUR wrote:Wow! Different Finger! Only played live once before that we know of, right, ANCT? March 7, 1981?
I read in Beyond Belief (issue 12, page 15) that it was also played January 20, 1981 in Nashville, but I guess there aren't any tapes for that one.

Oh, yes, the elusive Nashville show. You're right, no tape for that. but I'll take the reporter's word for it.

Dave
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-music-scen ... hillbilly/

Elvis Costello at the Tabernacle. Photo: Robb Cohen

http://projects.accessatlanta.com/galle ... abernacle/

Elvis Costello finds his inner hillbilly

April 27, 2010,

by Suzanne Van Atten

By James Kelly ( two credits? JF)

Throughout a 33-year career full of groundbreaking musical adventures, Elvis Costello has tried on many different hats. Some have been incredibly successful, such as the original “angry young man” persona whose first three albums are New Wave totems. The “crooner” years were a bit more erratic, ranging from the esoteric classics with the Brodsky Quartet to the dynamic and emotional collaboration with pop icon Burt Bacharach. Buried in these many guises was a brief stint as a Nashville cat, when Costello was “Almost Blue” and channeling George Jones. It wasn’t his best work, but it showed a deep and sincere respect for traditional country music.

Fast forward about 20 years from his last country endeavor, and Costello is now wearing a yellow straw fedora and playing a hybrid of bluegrass, country, and hillbilly music commonly referred to as “Americana.” With a band of the finest acoustic pickers in the world, their performance on Monday April 26 at Atlanta’s Tabernacle was a celebration of sound – soaked in Appalachian charm and so deeply American that even Costello’s English accent was virtually lost in the musical mix. Joined by singer songwriter Jim Lauderdale on rhythm guitar and harmony vocals, dobro master Jerry Douglas, Stuart Duncan on fiddle, and three other top-shelf musicians, Costello kicked off the night with an ode to the King himself – the iconic “Mystery Train”.

Working their way through selections from Costello’s most recent “Sacred, Profane, and Sugarcane” album and interspersing numerous unique covers, the band shined brightest in the jaw-dropping redone versions of Costello’s signature songs, turning “New Amsterdam” into an inspiring folk song, adding just enough gothic darkness to “The Delivery Man” to send shivers up your spine, and converting Costello’s pop tune “Every Day I Write The Book” into a slow and deeply emotional love ballad that left today’s “hot new country” in the dust with it’s witty wordplay and rich harmony vocals from Lauderdale and Douglas.

With so many highlights, the real surprises of the night were such rare jewels as the delightfully perfect bluegrass take on Velvet Underground’s “Femme Fatale,” a rollicking romp through the Grateful Dead’s “Friend Of The Devil,” which allowed Lauderdale to further show off his vocal skills, and the uptempo “Happy” by the Rolling Stones. And of course, in homage to Costello’s country idol, a sweet take of George Jones’ “Color Of The Blues.”

As he gradually and gracefully ages into a true ambassador of popular music, Costello seems totally comfortable in whatever niche he chooses to explore. The universality and power of his songs is seen in just how well they transform into different styles, a process which has been a staple of Costello’s shows for many years now. It is clear that he loves what he does, and his contagious joy is shared with his rabid fans. The insightful writer who once declared himself a “Brilliant Mistake” made no mistakes this time around, and he could easily be the next King of Americana.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Thanks to Jean for this.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Here's an MP3 of DIFFERENT FINGER from the show. The first and only time it's been played live in 29 years, according to the wiki:

http://www.mediafire.com/?i2dikdj0jmy
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Thanks for posting migdd!
blureu

Post by blureu »

Is this show hosted on Dime? Don't recall and would love to hear it. The recording sounds great.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

blureu wrote:Is this show hosted on Dime? Don't recall and would love to hear it. The recording sounds great.
Yeh, I was thinking the Same!
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

""[by migdd » Wed May 26, 2010 4:03 pm

Here's an MP3 of DIFFERENT FINGER from the show. The first and only time it's been played live in 29 years, according to the wiki:"

Big thanks from me too

[by blureu » Thu May 27, 2010 1:47 pm

Is this show hosted on Dime? Don't recall and would love to hear it. The recording sounds great"

too right ! According to the Wiki "an audience recording exists" and if proof were needed there's the CD cover artwork.

Here's hoping

Colin Top Balcony
migdd

Post by migdd »

Wish I could say I had a recording of this show. Hopefully one will surface.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

That's brilliant! Just looking at the planned setlist compared with wiki account of what was played & I see "Different Finger" isnt on there! They must 've tossed up an arrangement on the bus or at the soundcheck.

There's also quite a bit more chopping and changing as is common with Elvis' setlists it seems. Invigorating both for fans and the band alike. Proof that Elvis plays an audience and the band is flexible enough to adapt.

I remember seeing Jackson Browne about 4 years ago and they were selling a book of lyrics for the 20 or so songs on the setlist. "only 20 I asked, how do you know what he's gonna play ? " It's the same show was the reply, must be a drag playing the same set, same order, every night for 2 or 3 months.

So I woudn't read too much into the Dallas setlist although I accept there is less scope for variation when there's an orchestra or session players involved.
migdd

Post by migdd »

One thing that amazed me about the Atlanta show was that there was no band soundcheck or rehearsal. I arrived at the venue about two hours prior to showtime with the intention of walking around downtown Hotlanta to find a bite to eat. The tour busses pulled into the Tabernacle parking lot as I was pulling into my parking spot. I stuck around with a few other fans to see if we could catch Elvis as he debarked his bus. After a while, the band came out and entered the venue. Jim Lauderdale waved in my direction and smiled. No sign of Elvis. I went on my dinner break and came back an hour later. At that point, EC had just gotten of the tour bus and we waved him over for a handshake and autographs. He was very kind and accomodating, despite that fact that the show was scheduled to start in 40 minutes! (It ended up the show got a slightly late start by about 15 minutes).

He literally walked off the bus, got into his stage clothes and was onstage within an hour.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Ah yeah remember reading your account now..What a man. The recordings not your's is it ?
migdd

Post by migdd »

No, not mine. Have never done any recording. I'll leave that to the professionals.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

migdd wrote:Wish I could say I had a recording of this show. Hopefully one will surface.
The show is on Dime.