Your Top 25 Albums of the '00s (and Top 10 of 2009)

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jackson Monk

Re: Your Top 25 Albums of the '00s (and Top 10 of 2009)

Post by Jackson Monk »

Christopher Sjoholm wrote:"The Huston Kid" is a solid, sound record. A favorite of mine. Some very intelligent, and I think honest, writing on that record.
I'll give it a go then! 8)
corruptio optimi pessima
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

I hope you enjoy it. It is Crowell's autobiography up to that time in a song cycle form and it is quite harrowing and compelling.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Jackson Monk wrote:It's just a hunch, but I'm guessing you're a Rodney Crowell fan? :|
He occupies a rarefied group of Americana singer-songwriters that I find incredibly compelling - along with John Hiatt, Jim Lauderdale and dare I say it EC, who these days I think of more as an Americana artist than a pop singer.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Jackson Monk wrote:
Christopher Sjoholm wrote:"The Huston Kid" is a solid, sound record. A favorite of mine. Some very intelligent, and I think honest, writing on that record.
Let us know what you think. Obviously, I rate it extremely highly, but people I've gifted copies to have generally responded very favorably.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Ok - will do. Have just ordered from Amazon along with Crowded House's new record.
corruptio optimi pessima
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Jeremy Dylan wrote:
Jackson Monk wrote:
Let us know what you think. Obviously, I rate it extremely highly, but people I've gifted copies to have generally responded very favorably.

What a great record!! I shall be ordering more of his stuff for sure. Heartbreaking and uplifting all at once. The beautiful, understated production makes it sonically pleasing and the musicianship is top notch.

The wonderfull thing about this site is how much it has introduced me to great artists I would never normally have tried. Thanks Jeremy and Christopher. 8)
corruptio optimi pessima
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Pleased to read that you liked Jeremy's suggestion. I have been listening to Rodney for far too many years going back to the mid 70's when he was a member of Emmylou Harris's Hot Band and having his idiosyncratic songs played on other artist's records. "The Houston Kid" is filled with pain and a wry reflection. I loved what he did with his former father in law's "I Walk the Line[revisited]" turning it into a commentary on how that song meant so much for him as a young man.

His last effort "Sex and Gasoline" has failed to engage me but Jeremy's prior listing of "Fate's Right Hand" and "The Outsider" are both strong efforts continuing his searing self reflection and self assessment. I am probably more partial to "Fate's Right Hand".

His early solo records are filled with many examples of a country variant of power pop and merit being sought out, unfortunately many are out of print- a favorite for me is "Ain't Living Long Like This". He has an album from the 80's "Diamonds and Dirt" that may be one of the best records that came out of Nashville, that decade. You can also hear material of his on many of his ex-wife's, Rosanne Cash, solo records from that same decade.

He has a very literate way with a lyric that has always engaged me. Hope you have a fun time working your way through his catalog should you choose to do so.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Ain't Living Long Like This is a cracker of a tune - somewhere between The Race Is On and a peak-period Stones track.

'I lived for trouble and I found it son
Straight down the barrel of a loaded gun'.

SEX AND GASOLINE took a long time to grow on me, but after I saw him play the tunes live, it really clicked and I enjoy it a lot, especially the title track. I wished he'd take up the production reigns again though. Apparently there's a new record in the can - no word on a release date yet.