MacManus & McCartney

Pretty self-explanatory
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

How is his version of All You Need Is Love? Is it awesome?
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
King_of_Spain

Post by King_of_Spain »

LessThanZero wrote:How is his version of All You Need Is Love? Is it awesome?
I think it´s nothing special, a bonfire-camp version, except for the fact that he plays an electric -and not acoustic- guitar. It´s quite disappointing they only gave him five minutes to perform something at Live Aid, being KOA so recent.

Anyway, I have always had the idea he chose All you need is love as a kind of sarcastic commentary to what was the "altruistic" purpose of that event. I mean: like saying "with a bit more of good will and a real 3rd World Supporting policy this wouldn´t be necessary".

EC loves to act as a spoilsport at this kind of things, like at that Concert for Ireland, a whole celebration of Irish-ism, when he reminded everybody still there were "Many rivers to cross". You know: everybody is there, celebrating Who-knows-what, and then the killjoy appears to remind them there is no reason to celebrate so enthusiastically anything: you only have to work at it if you really want it.

I mean sometimes he seems to be the kind of guy you invite to your birthday party and takes a ruler off and shows you how old you are (one year, one inch) and the years you are still supposed to be alive... with a sarcastic smile and a slap on your back.
"Sometimes I name and number all the things you gave to me"
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

I loved his version of All You Need is Love. It was also easily the most inspired choice of Live Aid.

BC. I understand what you are saying. I really love Elvis's voice on his version of 'Please Stay' when his voice cracks several times. I think it's when he substitutes passion for trying to impress that i lose interest.
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
Danny

Post by Danny »

Jackson - totally agreed about the singing on That Day Is Done and Why Can't A Man Stand Alone.

He is actually a great rock singer - one of the unsung vocal heroes in my opinion - and it's great when he dares, and nails it - and in the version of "That Day" at the Linda McCartney tribute, he does nail it. But the studio version is excruciating.

He knows he's a great, strong singer - I was wowed by recent performances of Deep Dark Truthful Mirror and Either Side Of The Same Town at Sold On Song and at the Royal Festival Hall - but sometimes he doesn't nail it, and he shouldn't release stuff like that - that wonderful, warm voice becomes strained - a hell of a lot of PFM is like that I think - unlistenable. And what's annoying is that he's IS a great singer, but some may seize on these instances to condemn him, and say he's crap, when he's not. One of the North reviewers said he found the experience 'agony'.

If only he'd been a the RFH gig!
laughingcrow

what if the shoes were on the other feet...?

Post by laughingcrow »

KoS said:
I am deeply interested on knowing -if someone has any information- how the relationship between them both -Macca and MacManus- goes RIGHT NOW...
They haven't spoken since EC ran off with Paul's wife Patti and wrote that song about her....

Oh wait, that's the wrong people Im thinking of.
King_of_Spain

Post by King_of_Spain »

Listening to Back on my feet this afternoon I´ve had the clear (but maybe wrong) intuition that it´s quite easy to distinguish which part was composed by each one of them (the chorus is McCartney´s and the rest is Costello´s).

And what´s more, if you pay attention to the first line of the song you´ll realize it´s the same first line of The greatest thing !!! (several tones lower).
Last edited by King_of_Spain on Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes I name and number all the things you gave to me"
Elfslut

Post by Elfslut »

I read an interview somewhere with EC..that said pretty much the opposite...that the stuff you'd think was written by EC was McCartney and vice versa...

I'll have to dreg up that link....and post it..

I have to say one thing..I would have loved to have heard Paulie sing Shallow Grave...
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

It'd be kinda ironic, Paul singing about not lying in a shallow grave...after what happened and all....but I don't wanna bring that up again.

I don't believe it anymore, just like the whole conspiracy thing.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Yeah, but it would really be Faul writing about all that, right? LC, they dont want you to believe it! :shock: