HELP! Is there a NYC Record Shop that has National Ransack?

Pretty self-explanatory
cwr

HELP! Is there a NYC Record Shop that has National Ransack?

Post by cwr »

I know someone said they got it at Bleeker St Records, but after calling and being informed by them that they had "2 copies", I went there and was helped by an utterly clueless young clerk who COULD NOT understand what I was asking him for no matter how many times and how clearly I explained it.

Finally, after establishing several times that he was not retaining any of the title or artist information I was giving him (and not once attempting to look it up on their computer system), he went into some basement back room for about 30 seconds (where I am convinced he did little more than look at his watch for the same amount of time), he came out and said, "no, we don't have it." I don't know if they have it or not, but this guy was clearly not interested in helping me find it if they did... NOT interested in going back there, one way or the other.

Is there ANY other store in New York City that carries new vinyl that MIGHT stock National Ransack? I don't want to trudge around all over if there's no hope of finding it...
colrow26

Re: HELP! Is there a NYC Record Shop that has National Rans

Post by colrow26 »

Hiya, it was me who was lucky enough to find a vinyl copy of National Ransack!! I was in NYC for New Year and had a look around Bleeker Street records, bought a few cds then asked if they had the new Elvis release on vinyl. gotta say they were dead helpful and said yeah downstairs, made my own way downstairs to the vinyl collection and found a copy in the new release box!! The shop i was in was 239 Bleecker Street tel no 212 255 7899. Good luck!
...I want him to hurt...
colrow26

Post by colrow26 »

Hiya, it was me who was lucky enough to find a vinyl copy of National Ransack!! I was in NYC for New Year and had a look around Bleeker Street records, bought a few cds then asked if they had the new Elvis release on vinyl. gotta say they were dead helpful and said yeah downstairs, made my own way downstairs to the vinyl collection and found a copy in the new release box!! The shop i was in was 239 Bleecker Street tel no 212 255 7899. Good luck!
...I want him to hurt...
cwr

Post by cwr »

Yeah, thanks, but that's the same place I went to and (as I said above) they could not have been LESS helpful. Guy downstairs basically refused to expend any effort whatsoever to find out if they had it or not.

So I ordered one off eBay.

I love record stores and I'm sad to see them disappearing, but this is a classic example of how shitty staff can drive a willing customer straight into the arms of online retailers. Bleeker St Records blew the sale, and any future sale they would have had from me. I walked a long way to get there from where I was (after calling ahead to make sure they had it) only to walk away empty-handed. Not going back there again...
monkey2man

Post by monkey2man »

cwr,

i was around bleecker street today and, as i tend to do when i'm in that part of town, i stopped into bleecker street records. i agree that the help there (if you can really call it that) can be quite unhelpful. luckily, i was able to find a copy of the national ransack ep right in the 45 bin under elvis costello. sorry to say it was the only one i saw, otherwise i would've picked up another one and would've gladly sold it to you at price. maybe they'll get more in. wish i could've helped more.
cwr

Post by cwr »

Congrats on finding one in that awful store.

I never received my copy I ordered off eBay-- it was supposedly delivered to my work address, but no one can find it, so it was either stolen or mis-delivered.

I GIVE UP.

I will clearly never own this EP, and maybe that's a sign. Maybe I'm just through buying Elvis Costello records, just like he's through making them.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

cwr wrote:I GIVE UP.

I will clearly never own this EP, and maybe that's a sign. Maybe I'm just through buying Elvis Costello records, just like he's through making them.
A sad statement that pretty much sums up the state of the commercial record business in 2011. It makes me realize how much I miss the old time record shop. From a great song by Barenaked Ladies:

"Drove downtown in the rain nine-thirty on a Tuesday night,
just to check out the late-night record shop.
Call it impulsive, call it compulsive, call it insane;
but when I'm surrounded I just can't stop."

Record stores were a cool place to hang out, talk about music, learn about what's new, what's classic, look at albums, or "get lost" (? or something like that) as EC recently put it. My college (Univ. of Buffalo) had an amazing student-run record co-op that sold all kinds of stuff and was definitely a happening place to be. I love the digital universe for its infinite possibilities, diversity, and accessability, but the human contact is lost. Going to Best Buy to try to find, then buy a CD is downright depressing compared to the good old record shop.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

http://www.elusivedisc.com/

here's where i got mine...less than $10 with shipping!
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Would echo the Doctor's reminiscence- the shuttering of individual and distinctive record shops is sad. In my youth they often were my haberdasher, social club, escape from home and source of my narcotic paraphernalia as well as where I could find sounds and songs that captured my interest. In truth I could explore there. Miss that often these days. I am still fortunate that I live close enough to a college town that still features such shops[Rhino Records] so I have not had to go cold turkey completely.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Adam from Oz

Post by Adam from Oz »

I tried a couple of stores in San Luis Obispo and Paso Robles (California) in late December 2010 only to be told by the blokes behind the counter that it was "too expensive" for them to order, so they didn't order any copies to sell.
cwr

Post by cwr »

What are the odds that the National Ransack 7" will be on sale at the merch stand on the upcoming REVOLVER tour? Any guesses?
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

cwr wrote:What are the odds that the National Ransack 7" will be on sale at the merch stand on the upcoming REVOLVER tour? Any guesses?
Wouldn't surprise me, though it is one of the extras you get with a premium ticket to the shows...
The Deliveryman

Post by The Deliveryman »

connor,

Like ba posted above, http://www.elusivedisc.com still has the ep in stock for $6.99. I got my copy from them, and have ordered from them many times over the years, always with exceptional service.
cwr

Post by cwr »

I'd order from them, but I've already gone the mail order route previously, only to have my parcel stolen or misdelivered. I was trying to avoid relying on shipping a second time, since I've already bought it once...