Johnny Cash Tribute Concert/Calling Cosmos

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
mood swung

Johnny Cash Tribute Concert/Calling Cosmos

Post by mood swung »

no, I wasn't there, but Cosmos was supposed to be....details, man!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/artic ... id=2024872

-Edited By Jonathan Cohen. November 11, 2003, 10:40 AM ET

Family, Friends Salute Johnny Cash In Nashville

It was an evening of standing ovations last night (Nov. 10) at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, as performers from the worlds of country and rock gathered to pay tribute to the late Johnny Cash. The concert will be broadcast Saturday (Nov. 15) on Country Music Television.

The evening featured heartfelt renditions of Cash songs performed by friends and family of the entertainer, who passed away in September. Gracing the stage were family including daughters Rosanne and Laura Cash and son John Carter Cash, plus such luminaries as Kris Kristofferson, Hank Williams, Jr., Brooks & Dunn, Willie Nelson, Travis Tritt, John Mellencamp, Sheryl Crow, Larry Gatlin, George Jones, Marty Stuart and Rodney Crowell. Actor Tim Robbins was master of ceremonies.

There were obvious pairings, such as Kid Rock and Hank Williams, Jr. on "There Ain't No Good Chain Gang," Tritt and Stuart on "I Walk the Line" and Nelson and Crow singing "If I Were a Carpenter."

Among the more unusual pairings were Nelson and Kristofferson (the remaining half of the superstar quartet the Highwaymen -- which also featured Cash and the late Waylon Jennings), with George Jones and Hank Williams, Jr. for "The Highwayman." Brooks & Dunn joined Carlene Carter to perform "Jackson," the best-known of the duets Cash sang with his late wife June Carter, who died in May.

The show opened with the Fisk Jubilee Singers singing "Ain't No Grave Can Hold My Body Down," followed by Rosanne Cash performing a poignant version of "I Still Miss Someone." Crow offered a poignant take on Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt," which Cash covered to great acclaim on his final studio album, "American IV: The Man Comes Around."

Marshall Grant, one of the original members of Cash's backing band, the Tennessee Two, got choked up when he talked about first meeting Cash and guitarist Luther Perkins at an auto body shop in Memphis.

"When we went in to record for Sun Records, we were going call ourselves the
Tennessee Three, but [label head] Sam [Phillips] said 'I think it should be Johnny Cash and the Tennessee Two.' That was when Johnny Cash was born, because before that, everyone called him J.R.," Grant remembered.

Former Vice President Al Gore was eloquent in praising Cash, whom he said "spoke for the people who had no one to speak for them" before he read the lyrics to Cash's song, "Man in Black."

Offering messages on tape were CBS anchor Dan Rather, who acknowledged Cash's affinity for the downtrodden, and evangelist Billy Graham, who spoke to Cash's spiritual side. U2's Bono and Whoopi Goldberg also offered taped messages.

Larry Gatlin was the only performer who played an original song not recorded by or with Cash. "The morning Johnny passed I tried to go back to sleep after I got the call," he said, "but I couldn't, so I did what John did and I wrote a song about my feelings."

-- Vernell Hackett, Nashville
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

They didnt invite me :(

Maybe they didnt get my postcard . . .
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Like me, the "g" is silent.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

It was a very nice service. Done with a lot of class. The standout performances included John Mellencamp doing a knockout "Hey Porter", Dave Matthews and Emmylou Harris via videotape doing "Long Black Veil", Kris Kristofferson, Willie Nelson, George Jones, and Hank Williams Jr. doing "Highwayman", a very trim Steve Earle doing "Folsom Prison Blues", Rosanne Cash doing "I Still Miss Someone", Rodney Crowell doing "Understand Your Man", Marty Stuart doing "Rock Island Line", Hank Jr. doing a great "Ring of Fire", and Sheryl Crow doing a very moving version of "Hurt." Travis Tritt did a nice version of "I Walk the Line" as well. Kris Kristofferson played a GREAT version of "Sunday Morning Coming Down." Randy Scruggs did a rocking "Passing Through."

There were taped messages from Whoopi Goldberg, Billy Graham, Bono...and I know I'm forgetting some people.

Al Gore was there and gave a moving speech.
Marty Stuart and Kris Kristofferson gave great spoken tributes.

Marshall Grant, who was Johnny's original bassist in the Tennessee Two, was the highlight of the evening. He spoke for what seemed to be about a half hour. He talked about the beginning of Johnny's career, Sun Records and Sam Phillips, and being on tour. "I Walk the Line" was originally a ballad. Sam Phillips talked them into cutting a fast version, the version we all know. Johnny and the Tennessee Two found out that he released the fast version, and they were pissed. Sam told them if the fast version didn't hit, he'd release the slow version. About a month later, Marshall said that they were on tour, and they scanned the radio dial and heard the fast version on 13 different stations at once. Needless to say, the fast version stuck. Tritt's version of "Walk the Line" was more like the ballad Johnny wanted to put out.

Tim Robbins was eloquent as master of ceremonies.

The only disappointment was no statement or musical tribute whatsoever from Dylan, but I kind of expected that. As with TV tapings such as this, all the really good stuff (Marshall Grant) will probably be cut out so that they can get Kid Rock and Sheryl Crow on TV.

It started at about 7:45 and ended after midnight.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Good on you, cosmos. Sounds like a great night. Must have been pretty special.

It's okay pip. They didn't invite me either. :?
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

And there was a rumoured "surprise guest" that was supposed to be there. Speculation was Dylan, Keith Richards, Pearl Jam, Springsteen, or Dave Matthews. But it was just a rumour.
Last edited by cosmos on Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

From the sounds of it, the last Johnny Cash tribute concert (the one on TNT several years ago, where Johnny actually performed at the end) was better, at least in terms of the lineup, but I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the show, cosmos!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Yes, BC.....the lineup was kind of a touchy subject. It was picked by the family members. And they did extend invitations to Bono, Springsteen, and Dylan. The performers who were there all had relationships with Johnny (except maybe Kid Rock). Mellencamp inducted JC into the Rock Hall of Fame, for example. Steve Earle recorded with Johnny. And so on and so forth. But some fans did complain about the lack of "star power" at the memorial.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I guess more of my beef was the amount of "new country" artists. I wonder if much of that had to do with it being broadcast on CMT.

Brooks & Dunn need to go away :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Brooks and Dunn were not very good at the memorial. They were boring! I was not impressed at all, but then again, they were there because they were friends with Johnny.