Tony Thompson RIP

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Tony Thompson RIP

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Just saw this on the cool Bowie 'wonderworld.com' site:

"Very sad news to report the death of TONY THOMPSON, one of the premier session drummers of the past twenty-five years, died on Wednesday in Los Angeles of renal cell cancer aged forty-eight years old.

The former member of Seventies disco funk band Chic, Thompson had worked with everyone from DAVID BOWIE to Madonna to Diana Ross.

Born in New York on November 15th, 1954, Thompson came to prominence on the late-Seventies disco scene, thanks to his funky, rock influenced big-beat style. After sitting in with LaBelle, Thompson met Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards, with whom he formed Chic in 1976.

Chic disbanded in 1983, and Thompson became an in-demand session musician, working with David on his Serious Moonlight World Tour throughout 1983 and the Let's Dance album.

From RollingStone news."

I shall have to go out and buy Let's Dance in homage (whaddya say, Noise?). I really regret my silly 18 year old principles preventing me from joining my mates at the Birmingham NEC on that tour, and Tony Thompson would have been one of the highlights of the evening. Lovely powerful, clean beat. I remember spending an entire afternoon aged 17 working out exactly how he did the drum part on Diana Ross's 'I'm Coming Out' (ooh Diana, I never knew you swung that way!) and playing along with it. Actually, I wasn't really up to it!

Two months younger than Elvis, and two days short of his birthday. Too young.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm going to have to listen to Let's Dance at some point tonight. Very sad. Maybe he and Stevie Ray Vaughan can meet up in heaven and jam.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I think Tony Thompson was also in the Power Station with the recently-deceased Robert Palmer. That would leave only the two Duran Duran guys left from that band.
Otis Westinghouse

Indeed so, and he also drummed on Like A Virgin! And he had no insurance:

http://www.undercover.com.au/news/2003/ ... mpson.html

Nice shot of him at the kit.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Same deal with Alejandro Escovedo, who is battling hepatitis C (I think that's the right one). No insurance and huge medical bills. It's very sad.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I say you're a good man, Otis. It's a fine idea. And his drumming is great on that record.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

cosmos wrote:Same deal with Alejandro Escovedo, who is battling hepatitis C (I think that's the right one). No insurance and huge medical bills. It's very sad.
That's why all musicians should live in Canada or Britain :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

He was a hot drummer....I think he also played with Led Zep at Live Aid....or another concert...he hit the drums hard....and swung at the same time.
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Yeah, he played with JP/RP/JPJ in Philadelphia 1985 at the JFK Stadium for a Live Aid benefit concert, and they even did some studio sessions in 1986...the rumour was that he may have joined the band, but then was in a car crash and nothing happened.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

It was him and Phil Collins on drums with Zep (took both of them to fill in for Bonham) at Live Aid. Good times.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

The new Uncut cd has a track from the Chic version of the Diana album. Incredible rhythm section, with Thompson's playing being its back bone. Just amazing.
Otis Westinghouse

I thought this month's was a Clash tribute CD! Was that last month or a different magazine. Where's the Mojo Bowie edition got to? Which track was that, by thhe way?
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I thought this month's was a Clash tribute CD! Was that last month or a different magazine. Where's the Mojo Bowie edition got to? Which track was that, by thhe way?
Ooops, your right its on the Mojo cd, and I'm Coming Out is the track.
Otis Westinghouse

That's the one I love (see above).
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Noise..ja that's right Phil was also there...he's pretty fucking groovy himself....when he just plays drums..
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I agree. Phil Collins is a really great drummer. I wish he'd stuck to that.
--William Shakespeare