Elvis on Conan

Pretty self-explanatory
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

spooky girlfriend wrote: He was witty, polite, and talked quite a bit. Conan, as always, was hilarious. :)

Aw, now Im sad that I missed it. I tried to tape it and ended up with an interview of Nick of the "Newlyweds" . . . :(
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

Conan's show has an occasional feature called "Secrets," pre-taped pieces in which some celebrity sits in a chair with a drink and a smoke, and with a blank wall as a backdrop they confess some supposedly unknown and generally sordid (and made up) things about themselves. I've seen installments with William Shatner and Christopher Walken, and I'm sure there are others I can't remember.

Well, tonight it was "Elvis Costello Secrets." I wasn't prepared, since this was an unbilled appearance, so I didn't tape and can't recall all four of the revelations. I do, however, remember the last one:

I write about fifteen songs a day, every day. I record the great ones, I sell the good ones, and the rest I give to Phil Collins.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

OH MAN! I usually watch Conan EVERY night I work, but tonight we have the tv off, listening to Bowie! :shock:
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
bobster

Post by bobster »

tokyo vogue wrote:The last season of Buffy was disappointing and annoying. Nearly knocked me out of the fandom, it did.
Warning -- this one goes seriously off topic.

Well, individual results will vary. I agree, though, that the show did lose a little steam that last season -- fatigue was clearly starting to set in (esp. with creator Joss Whedon, who was heavily involved with creating the vastly underrated "Firefly", which will be back as a movie). And they were trying to respond to the response that the prior season was too dark.

Still, there were several really terrific episodes, one truly scary villian (Nathan Fillion as Caleb), and a very good final episode. (Though I'll admit it did feel a bit rushed -- another half-hour would have been good.)

I'm a loyalist at heart. 99% of the time I'll take a "bad" Buffy over a "good" Friends any day of the week.

Oh, and my favorite "Secrets" featured Tom Hanks. Just because it's so contrary to his image to seem him puffing away on that cigarette like a condemned man. I actually taped it that night, but thought I saw most of it.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

LessThanZero wrote:OH MAN! I usually watch Conan EVERY night I work, but tonight we have the tv off, listening to Bowie! :shock:
The good news is that these segments are generally repeated, although unpredictably.

The other good news is that the entire show will be on Comedy Central Monday (6 pm EST; as always, check your local listings). You'll know it's the right one if Steve Harvey is mentioned as a guest. The "Secrets" segment is relatively early in the show, soon after he sits at the desk.

There is no bad news.
Sometimes it delays it"
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I actually saw that, but I was so surprised and excited to see Elvis sitting there smoking (sort of) a cigarette next to a bottle of Jack Daniels that I completely didnt hear a word he said . . .

Ill have to try the taping thing again.
whtesde

Post by whtesde »

The Costello Secrets (or a transcript of it, rather) is up at the Conan website here
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Dammit! I missed it again. This is really starting to piss me off. I feel like the absent-minded professor . . .
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

Here they are - no need to bolt:

(picture EC with cigarette, shot glass and bottle of Jack Daniels)

Elvis Costello Secrets:

"I changed my name to Elvis Costello because my real name, Declan MacManus, just sounded too Jewish."

"Before I was a rock star having my clothes torn off by girls, I was a computer operator having my clothes torn off by robots."

"I write about fifteen new songs a day. I record the great ones, sell the good ones, and give the rest to Phil Collins."

"I love music, 'cause it brings people together. Music is what enables me, a human being, to communicate with you, a bleeping arsehole."
Sometimes it delays it"
Misha

Post by Misha »

Hungup...

Thanks for the tip...got it on tape today.

Kinda wierd seeing him smoking with the Jack there.....

Yaaay, Elvis Secrets!!
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

whtesde wrote:The Costello Secrets (or a transcript of it, rather) is up at the Conan website here
You can download the audio from here
http://www.geocities.com/L_Elvis_Cool_J/
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

bobster wrote:That "female guest" is none other than aka Eliza Dushku, aka Faith, the Vampire Slayer, said Bobster in his "Comic Book Store Guy" mode. (Let me now convene my minions in Elvis Costello-meets-Buffy fandom.)
and i missed the whole damn thing???? blast.

yeah, i know this is old. i'm catching up.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....