The Day the music died

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
LessThanZero

The Day the music died

Post by LessThanZero »

Does anybody else miss JWOL?
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I was listening to KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic, and they played two songs in tribute to John. "Cleanup Time" from Double Fantasy and Toots & The Maytal's version of "Give Peace A Chance", which is awesome.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

That day I took a punch to the gut from which I have never recovered. It was several years before I could listen to his songs again without being overwhelmed, and for that loss alone The Rat Bastard Murderer Whose Name I Shall Never Utter should rot in hell.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

What are you guys talking about? Is it a radio show?

Learn me....
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Uhh.

John Lennon died on this day in 1980.

I agree, the way LTZ brought it up is kind of cloudy, but yeah...
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

:oops: Duh!!!!

I should have read the second post more clearly...lol
Last edited by laughingcrow on Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

I was 17, and I remember that when my mom told me, I thought for a moment that she must be talking about some other John Lennon. I also remember that I nearly passed out. He was the first icon of my childhood to die. I don't remember a time when The Beatles/Lennon were not a part of my consciousness. I grew up on them. My elder brother's Rubber Soul is the first music I remember listening to.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

Please remove the Rat Bastard's name. It burns my eyes and sullies the thread.

I miss Dr. O'Boogie terribly. The world misses him terribly. We are all diminished by his absence.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

"Imagine no possessions..."

"Was it a millionaire who said imagine no possessions...?"

I love it when geniuses argue in song.

When John Lennon died, I was 8 years old. I remember hearing "Nobody Told Me" for a few weeks on the radio and it seemed so fitting when I heard the announcement on Dec. 8. I remember when Elvis died not thinking it was any big deal. Of course, I was 5, so his passing may not have meant much because of my youth. But when Lennon was killed by the rat bastard (I won't even capitalize it), my family was deeply affected. Not my parents so much, who never much got the Beatles until later, but all my older brothers and sisters were devistated. And I remember our music teacher crying with us that day and singing Yellow Submarine and other songs.

I think Dennins Leary said it best:

"...not one bullet hit Yoko Ono?...
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

noiseradio wrote: I think Dennins Leary said it best:

"...not one bullet hit Yoko Ono?...
Hmmm.... don't you think that kind of thing just dignifies, and maybe perpetuates, any of the largely ignorant anti Yoko sentiment there's been? I just tire of it, and it's no less of an insult to the man.
bobster

Post by bobster »

I was in finishing my first quarter at UCLA, reading the Duchess of Malfi or John Donne or something else from the first Norton Anthology and I got a call from an old classmate -- a real rock music geek who never really adjusted right to much of anything. Huge Beatles fan. Huge. Enormous. More enormous than healthy, truly.

Anyhow, he was so upset, I felt I had to remind him that he didn't actually know John Lennon, and thought to myself that it was odd to be so moved by the death of anyone, no matter how talented, that you don't know. Especially just one person. (I doubt my friend was anywhere near as upset when Bhopal happened, or when word of what had happened in Cambodia came out, for example.)

Of course, as I studied with the John Lennon's music playing the background all night, I got a few lumps in the throat myself. I still think about that day fairly often.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Well, Bamboo, I guess we have different senses of humor.

Was John Lennon a freak?
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Poppet

my memories of the day

Post by Poppet »

this is a reply to bobster:

pal, i was DEVASTATED. i had been staying up late to listen to double fantasy on my local radio station. i had my headphones on, laying in bed in my darkened room, blissing out to the tunes awaiting nirvana.

and before they played it, they said Lennon had been shot. and was dead.

i'd been a beatlemaniac for a while at this point. totally in LOVE with the fab four. he was gone? dead? some *&^((*&%& (no words can describe) killed him???

it was two days before my 17th birthday.

i didn't know him personally, but his music, his life, had a great influence on me. 'Instant Karma' is still my favorite song, for the sentiment and emotion expressed. It NEVER fails to bring me around.

(and the next day at school all my friends came and found me at some point during the day to see if i was okay. it was touching.)
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

it was cold and i left class to climb in my 65 dodge. they were playing a lennon song on my am car radio. i stopped at a convenience store, or whatever we called them then, and when i climbed back in the dj said "now we're gonna play another john lennon song and to the asshole who called in and requested 'happiness is a warm gun', you're not funny". i thought "what the hell is going on?". the next evening, the event consumed the 30 minute national network news and i sat in front of the 12 inch black and white weeping until i headed off to my stats final. i was precisely on the A/B border going into the test and i got a C in the whole damn class, so i must've got a 20 on the test. i was completely blurry and disinterested. it was only like 4 problems and i remember writing across one "i just don't know where to begin." those around me didn't seem to care that much and i felt extremely lonely. i studied each of their faces for hours on my 45 sleeves in 64 and 65.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I was 16 years old. I was at home and I walked past the tv and heard the report. I don't remember exactly what they said, but then I remember the screen went totally black except for the birthdate and date of death of John Lennon. It felt so cold. I just stood there and stared at the screen for I don't know how long.

Seems hard to believe it's been that many years ago.
Misha

Post by Misha »

Hey Poppet,

Happy Birthday!!!
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

noiseradio wrote:Well, Bamboo, I guess we have different senses of humor.
Well no, actually I don't mind jokes about bullets, especially when they concern Japanese women. But just not Yoko, cos, you know, John Lennon was bigger than Jesus.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

No, that was the Be Sharps:

"Bart: "What did you do, screw up like the Beatles and say you were bigger than Jesus?"

Homer: "All the time! It was the title of our second album!"

Here's John on the subject:

"I'm not saying that we're better or greater, or comparing us with Jesus Christ as a person or God as a thing or whatever it is. I just said what I said and it was wrong. Or it was taken wrong. And now it's all this...I wasn't saying whatever they're saying I was saying. I'm sorry I said it really. I never meant it to be a lousy anti-religious thing. I apologize if that will make you happy. I still don't know quite what I've done. I've tried to tell you what I did do but if you want me to apologize, if that will make you happy, then OK, I'm sorry."

By the way, I like how you tried to twist the Dennis Leary quote into a thinly-veiled suggestion that I'm anti-Asian. Really good work with the propaganda. You might look into writing speaches for Bush.
--William Shakespeare
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I'm bigger than Jesus.....

seriously, he was 5'9 and I'm 6'1. What a short arse, cool beard though.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

laughingcrow wrote:I'm bigger than Jesus.....seriously, he was 5'9 and I'm 6'1.
LC - you've confirmed what I've suspected all along - you're bigger than JC and EC :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Noise & Bamboo, I like you guys and I'm afraid you're both getting way off course with the real issue......which is that Denis Leary stole all of his good material from the late, great Bill Hicks! Seriously, Leary was a bland standup out in Boston till he started copying Hicks' mannerisms and material. And this wasn't the "Good writers borrow, great writers steal" kind of theft either. In the late 80's, one of Hicks' signature bits went something like this....

"The fact that we live in a world where John Lennon is murdered yet Barry Manilow CONTINUES to put out fucking albums! Goddammit, if you're gonna kill somebody have some taste! I'll drive you to Kenny Rogers' house. Get in the car, I know where WHAM! lives."

The joke is that the only reason Leary got famous and Hicks didn't (least in his lifetime) is because there really is no cure for cancer.
Last edited by El Vez on Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

verbal gymnastics wrote:LC - you've confirmed what I've suspected all along - you're bigger than JC and EC :lol:
Jarvis Cocker is actually quite tall, 6'1" or something like that.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Mr. Vez,

You are entirely correct. Bill Hicks was a real original. And the Yoko joke is clearly a rip off of the one you quote. But can't we imagine a world where both Yoko AND Barry Mannilow were struck down instead of Lennon? In my imagination, we do! Why can't Bill Hicks and Dennis Leary be friends?

Bamboo,

All this pissing on each other is getting tiresome. We've been snippy with mostly little cause. Know that most of what I've typed (especially on this thread) was typed with a broad grin. (Smirk?) Let's go back to the good old days of planning to exchange burned CDs and not following through. What say you?
--William Shakespeare
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

moment of weakness, bamboo--strike now. NOW. he's lying about that "broad grin" crap. get him. he's a rock star, with a penis the size of a fence post.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Oily, shame on you. Just when the spirit of Christmas was coming alive on the board and you go and trash it. :lol: And how would you know about the size of his penis? :o