Advice: Young Kids and Music Education - Piano and/or Guitar

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
AlmostBlue

Advice: Young Kids and Music Education - Piano and/or Guitar

Post by AlmostBlue »

I thought this may be the best place to ask the question. When you have a couple of kids, most of your focus in on their education and upbringing. Since they both can play recorder, and play by ear, we were wondering if guitar lessons are out of the question, possibly instead of piano (ages 7-10). I have heard about "bass ukulele," and I have seen some comprehensive guitar lesson DVD's . Somehow I think they might be more motivated if we break the mold and not do piano.
Any suggestions.. and any learning material.?
thx
!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I have a 12 year-old son who just begged for an electric guitar for Christmas. We obliged. We also gave him a couple of books that helped him become familiar with notes, etc. over the Christmas holidays. He was so excited and read the books cover to cover.

With our schedule so hectic right now, we talked to him and decided that he would first of all "get to know" his guitar on his own before we explored lessons. He knows how to read music from school and is a quick learner anyhow. He sort of has a knack for self-teaching anyway. He's done rather well and for Valentine's day, rather than a bunch of candy, I got him another book that is full color pictures of chords that he can study. He was thrilled.

But every child is different. Talk to them and explore options. :) Let us know what you come up with.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm not sure I entirely understand your question, Almost.

Both the guitar and piano are much different than the recorder, obviously. Piano is an easier instrument for children aged 7 to 10, but there are smaller sized guitars intended for children. I wouldn't recommend a bass ukelele :D

I think it's important for kids to have a musical education. I took piano lessons from the age of 7 to about 13 or 14. Most people give up after a few months. Others are essentially forced to continue and practice often by their parents.

When I was about 15 or 16, I taught myself how to play the guitar with an old acoustic that was lying around the house.

While most kids (especially teenage kids) immediately want an electric guitar, it's actually much better to start out on an acoustic guitar. Most guitar players and teachers alike will tell you this. Since electric guitars have a much smaller body and neck, and less resistance on the strings, it is easier to learn quicker, but when it comes time that they want to attempt acoustic, it will prove more difficult. The switch from acoustic to electric is much easier.

Then again, if all they want to play is electric, than electric is probably fine.

As I said, there are 'junior' sized guitars that are usually available pretty cheaply that are ideal for young people to start with.

I'd check out this site:

http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa072401a.htm

I would be happy to answer any further questions you might have about this.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

My daughter is 13. She wanted a guitar so I bought her a cheap acoustic just to see if the interest would last. She really stuck with it and was doing okay and asked for an electric. I got her a basic Squire Strat that was inexpensive and still waited to see if her interest would last. She has gotten really good. She's much better than I was at 13. It helps that I play and have been teaching her but she has a good ear and picks up alot that I didn't think she could so quickly. My point is that I let her deside if she wanted to do it and stick with it. If she hadn't I would have saved some money. lol. ANyway, let them try it and see how it goes. Then you can deside if it is worth the time and money to go from there.
AlmostBlue

Post by AlmostBlue »

thanks for all of the advice - I learned quite a bit from the comments