Boston 2/27/04 --- video, and blurry images!

Pretty self-explanatory
wehitandrun

Boston 2/27/04 --- video, and blurry images!

Post by wehitandrun »

The show was very good. I was a bit sad that Deep Dark Truthful Mirror and Green Shirt were left off of the list... but "My Mood Swings"(i think thats the title, i never heard it until tonight) and "Pills and Soap" were brilliant.

Speaking of "Pills and Soap"- I have a 20 second clip of it for everyone to enjoy. Save it from here...
http://www.angelfire.com/music5/sweetbe ... 22704_.MOV

The night started when I met the wonderful board members at New Shanghai, and we ate some great food... as you can see.

We then apparoached the Wang Center with excitement...

I managed to take pictures, but I had to zoom in a bit, so they came out very blurry...

Sadly, after the show, they were not allowing any signings or pictures-with-elvis to take place. I'm sorry, discardedluck... they claimed he had to be scurried out to catch a plane. It was very upsetting. However, I got a grey tee-shirt with his face on it... so that makes it less painful.

Thanks again, discardedluck, for the tickets. I'm sorry I dont have a playlist, but I didn't know most of the songs as it was(I was the kid who wanted to hear "armed forces" played three times all the way through). It was a great show, and I had a wonderful time.

<3,
s.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Glad you had a good show.

I love the pic of the empty chinese food plate :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

I like that third pic especially, where Elvis caught fire.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Dude, you are a lot of fun. You must come to the Ryman next time he is here. We could really party.

I'm so sorry that you didn't get to meet Elvis and become his gimp/sex toy as you had secretly hoped. Perhaps on the next concert it will happen. I'm so glad you enjoyed the show. :)
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

where's the set list? hasn't someone posted it yet?????

i can't do it. it would take more brain cells than are currently active.

okay, i do want it all, but yes, 'twas bummed to not top off the evening w/ letting steve know that we think he carries the act. okay, that was my bud's response, but only because i gushed so over the professor earlier.

rocking horse road, and pills and soap - wow. most excellent w/ the quartet.

i'm wondering if steve's hands are in pain today. he attacked that piano often!

i'm off to continue looking for that set list. :)
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

maybe elvis didn't want to stand out in the cold dry air--maybe, just maybe he's protecting his voice for some upcoming special event....

or maybe he had to catch a plane.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

we decided that pip and mug had whisked him and steve away. at first, i thought, no, mug wouldn't run off and leave pip, but then i remembered - pip is one of my rivals for steve's attention. so, obviously, they took them away before i could get to them.

or, yeah, airplane.

another thought we had, was maybe elvis had zoomed off to see the mingus big band at the regatta bar in cambridge. he might have been able to make it over for the second half of their secong gig last night. (they're also there tonight for two shows).

but yeah, oscars. might have been more of a pull than us or even the mingus band.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

I'm betting he was off to LA for the Oscar show tomorrow. Probably some kind of rehearsal today or something. It's really too bad - it really caps off the evening to meet Elvis and company.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

mood swung wrote:maybe elvis didn't want to stand out in the cold dry air--maybe, just maybe he's protecting his voice for some upcoming special event....

or maybe he had to catch a plane.

hey! it is not your place to defend the guy who has millions of fans and money that could reach the moons of Saturn.

We were upset, as we should have been.

I was going to meet him at the runway where his plane was, but then we just went home.

<3,
s.
wehitandrun

Re: Boston 2/27/04 --- video, and blurry images!

Post by wehitandrun »

As I expected, Angelfire took down the video.

If anybody wants it, they can IM me... it's a small clip.

Orrr, much easier, if someone could let me know of a place to host it, I'd do it immediately.

Thanks.

<3,
s.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

um, I wasn't trying to defend him. I was just speculating as to why he didn't. I'm sorry he didn't come out for y'all.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Oh, alright, I apologize.

I read it as you having a mean/sarcastic tone.

<3,
s.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

it's ok.
I usually put one of those emoticons in when I'm being sarcastic, but not always. I'm really beginning to think he'll sing Sunday. You can convince yourself of anything, if you wish both hard and long....**

**edited cos I couldn't resist adding that. sorry.
Last edited by mood swung on Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Yup, he had to catch a plane, or thats what the people at the stage door told us anyway, when we arrived there approximately 10 seconds after the show was over . . .

We waited and watched them whisk him and Steve away anyways.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Okay, I am starting to recover from excellent music three nights running, plus a bunch of hours on the $10 Chinatown bus, and too many hours in my pointy shoes.

First: what a great bunch of folks on this board. My lovely e-pal Pip is now my lovely regular pal, and is at another computer here in my house as I type! I didn't cry at all at last night's show, and that is thanks to her.

Meeting MBA was a blast, and I'm sorry, dear, I didn't get to say g'bye, though I totally understood. Dang it was cold!! Was that really Robert DeNiro? I'm sort of a cultural idiot but I thought it looked like Martin Scorcese. (Actually I thought it was Leonard Bernstein but then I thought, hang on, I'm pretty sure he's dead..)

I'm sorry I didn't get to meet POV or the ever-erudite HS (thanks for those corrections/completions, I knew I could count on you!!), and I'm especially sorry my logistical failings prevented Veronica from having dinner with us last night. (Great food, it must be said...).

Poppet was the cats pajamas as ever, as was her pal, Mr. Jarvis Fontaine (of THE Fontaines, though no relation to Joan). Meeting out-of-towner Ice9 was a special treat. And WeHitAndRun is cuter than the proverbial button. Is your pal a convert now, WHAR?

The Joan Anderman review in the GLOBE is characteristically (for her, not the GLOBE) intelligent and on the mark, though I disagree about the best one-two punch: it was without question CAN YOU BE TRUE followed by MY MOOD SWINGS. I could have died happy after those two. Oh oh oh.

I have no technical knowledge of music whatsoever, but I thought Elvis had trouble with the frist two NORTH songs on both nights. Usually when his voice breaks it skillfully finds its way into some interesting part of the key, but there were a few moments when that was not the case in YOU LEFT ME IN THE DARK and SOMEONE TOOK THE WORDS AWAY. There were small moments of trouble in other NORTH songs, but for the most part theye were just breathtaking. He has written some very hard-to-sing tunes here!

Speaking of which (not that he wrote it) I have to save special praise for last night's rendition of YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE, which I can only describe as astonishing. It was perfect; my heart was racing throughout. A pal who I took (his first Elvis show!) informs me that Elvis P. often used to close with the song, which I didn't know. To me it was always just that gorgeous song from CAROUSEL. In any case, it was amazing. I was slack-jawed.

Thank you, Elvis, Steve, and B-skies, very, very much.

Signed, AstonishedMug
Last edited by selfmademug on Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I almost forgot! MR. John Fontaine is my hero. He was by far one of the funniest men I've ever met in my life. He needs to join this board, he is personality plus. His "quiet yet a genius when speaking" thing was awesome. "Smart Ass Cookie!"

But now I am confused. Can somebody just give me a who's-who of who was there lastnight (along with board-handles)?

I think I know who is who... Poppet is the lucky lady who came with John Fontaine, right? And Selfmademug- you were the articulate one who was there waiting for us, correct? So I'm guessing the quiet gal' with you is pip(edit: i put "spooky_girlfriend" here, not noticing where they were from). If so, she was really cool.

Who was the guy who got the Alabama Slammer? He was fun too.

It was nice to meet all of you. What a show.

<3,
s.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

I'm soooooooo happy that you guys enjoyed the Brodskys with Elvis. I thought the combination of them plus Steve plus Elvis was just fantastic. I was so glad I was able to attend one of these shows.

I wish I could have been there with you guys! And sorry, pip, I know Steve was looking forward to spending time with you, but Elvis made him leave. 8)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

selfmademug wrote: Was that really Robert DeNiro? I'm sort of a cultural idiot but I thought it looked like Martin Scorcese. (Actually I thought it was Leonard Bernstein but then I thought, hang on, I'm pretty sure he's dead..)
Someone is going to have to explain this :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

BlueChair wrote:
selfmademug wrote: Was that really Robert DeNiro? I'm sort of a cultural idiot but I thought it looked like Martin Scorcese. (Actually I thought it was Leonard Bernstein but then I thought, hang on, I'm pretty sure he's dead..)
"What if it was Leonard Bernstein?"
- MR. John Fontaine.

If you have voiceacting experience, add mystery/exhalation/patience.

<3,
s.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

wehitandrun wrote: - MR. John Fontaine.
That's MR. Jarvis Fontaine...
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

wehitandrun wrote:
BlueChair wrote:
I was obviously too overwhelmed about Elvis to pay any kind of real attention to who the guy was. Though now Im thinking maybe he was just referring to me, since, apparently, I bear more than a passing resemblance to Robert DeNiro . . .

:?
Last edited by pip_52 on Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Damn. I knew I was wrong somewhere.

JARVIS!

Wait, so I didn't meet Pip? I've been shunned. :cry:

<3,
s.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

wehitandrun wrote: Wait, so I didn't meet Pip? I've been shunned. :cry:

Course ya did-- she was the quiet but oh-so-cool one you mentioned. It was my 5-yr-old son who said she looks like Robert DeNiro (however since he has no idea who RD is, this is not really info to be trusted...).

So where the hey is the final setlist? Yes, DETECTIVES was part of it.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Yeah, I was sitting straight across the table from you. Sorry, didnt mean to be confusing, just vague and perplexing . . .
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Hah, aww, you pulled it off.

Ricky and I were trying to remember if you said that you were doing "Possession" or that you knew the person who was doing it.

<3,
s.