Lipstick Vogue

Pretty self-explanatory

How is Elvis' singing on "Lipstick Vogue"?

awesome
100%
pretty awful
No votes

Total votes: 20

BlueChair

Lipstick Vogue

Post by BlueChair »

Okay, wehitandrun... we know you're a vocalist and everything, but I think you'll find that most of us disagree with you when it comes to "Lipstick Vogue"

Just to be sure, let's poll it.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Obviously people will disagree, that's why it's called an opinion.

But, I'm sure you know that, and just want to humiliate me... so lets do it. Even I'll disagree with myself.

<3,
s.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I have no desire to humiliate you at all... but I also don't think that your assumed position as vocalist means that your opinion counts more than the rest of us, and that's kind of the impression I got :)

We all like to sing.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

That was the point I was attempting to make to Noise, and I got the same impression from him as you got from me. I was not saying "i sing a lot! listen to me!" i said "i too am a vocalist."

Yeah, we all love singing.

EDIT: if my intentions were any different, i would have scanned a picture of my E.C singing dictionary. :lol:

<3,
s.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

It doesn't get any better.
I'm one of the old guys who had Lipstick Vogue reach from the depth of the vinyl grooves the very first time the stylus plowed through it as it placed its aural fingers firmly around my throat, never to let go.

Disclaimer: I am not a vocalist. I vocalize, but not to music. Thus, more appropriately, I am an orator. An orater who sometimes orates to music whilst driving, showering, praying, and doing things when and where I am fairly sure that no one is listening.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Bit of a one-sided affair methinks...bias has a lot to answer for though.

I tried to be as objective as possible...but the thing is with me, is my appreciation of art (any form) lies in the transferrence of emotion from artist to observer. This vocal delivery does that in oodles.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This song has so much going with it. It was one of the first Costello tracks to really make me realise how different he was. Even now I listen to Pete Thomas`s drumming and think of how well it compares with a lot of the jazz drumming I`ve been listening to lately.

Of course , the song has an edit that made me get a second copy of the vinyl , presuming my first copy was scratched. I now know that the way the lines `Get to the slot machine/Almost dead on arrival` run together `cos Nick Lowe couldn`t be bothered combining takes in a correct manner , a prime exmple of his `bash it out`production technique.

Incidentally when Pete was auditioning for the houseband on Ally McBeel ( I know - the cheek of them to even make him!) he asked a friend for advice on what he should submit as an example of his work. `Give `em the start of Lipstick Vogue - that should do it! ` was our mutual friend`s brief and spot-on reply.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Great stuff johnfoyle. Great stuff.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Charlie Sedaka

Post by Charlie Sedaka »

This is real silly stuff. All cos Mr Hit and Run say Lipstick Vogue is rubbish innit. It's the best record he make in 1978 i think.
Sorry, got distracted - I was poring a dirty book as if I was playing the piano.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Nothing less than awesome!

P.S. Mr. Average, are you funnin' me? :wink:
I'm not angry anymore....
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Charlie Sedaka wrote:This is real silly stuff. All cos Mr Hit and Run say Lipstick Vogue is rubbish innit. It's the best record he make in 1978 i think.
I never trashed the song or the album.

I said the delivery could have been better. My opinion.

<3,
s.
Charlie Sedaka

Post by Charlie Sedaka »

may be your opinion.....my opinion is that u is wrong :lol:
Sorry, got distracted - I was poring a dirty book as if I was playing the piano.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Charlie Sedaka wrote:may be your opinion.....my opinion is that u is wrong :lol:
Okay.

<3,
s.
AlmostBlue

Post by AlmostBlue »

best thing I have ever heard.. but it was a live performance.. I am not sure about the 1978 studio version..
it certainly was a highlight for the Attractions - the drum solo.. the bass riff.. wow!