Great underrated EC classics

Pretty self-explanatory
Jackson Monk

Great underrated EC classics

Post by Jackson Monk »

The top 50 EC songs had me thinking about the ones that I love that hardly get a mention.....here's a few from 77 up:

Sneaky feelings
Living in Paradise
Two Little Hitlers
Men Called Uncle
White Knuckles
Town Crier
Invisible Man
Worthless Thing
Next Time Round
The Big Light (great fun!)
Last Boat Leaving
Who Do You Think You Are ?
All Grown Up
Just about Glad
Distorted Angel
Toledo
My Little Blue Window
You Turned to Me

Any other unsung heroes??
corruptio optimi pessima
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

No time to do a list, but I have always loved "Heathen Town."
Four eyes - one vision
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

There are an awful lot of my favs there Jackson ! :D
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
migdd

Post by migdd »

That Day is Done remains one of my all time fave EC tunes. This story of a ghost visiting his own funeral still sends chills down my spine when I can get a quiet moment to really listen to it. EC's rendition of the song with the Fairfield Four is fantastic!
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

White Knuckles is my favorite Trust song. I love the last minute.

<3,
s.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Erm let me think....ALL OF SPIKE (apart from Veronica)!
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Spike is probably my least favorite of the LP's right now.

I've always liked up to God's Comic, but I guess I wasn't patient enough for the rest(well, besides Pads Paws and Claws).

Do you reccomend giving it another chance?

<3,
s.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Psycho!! I love that song!!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Veronica is just about perfect. But it's not unknown. Maybe that's what he meant.

Spike and Mighty Like a Rose used to mean more to me than they now do. I think I slightly like Spike better than MLAR. But the tracks that I adore on both right now wouldn't make a complete album. It's not that I DON'T like the songs (other than Broken). I do, some very much. But they don't do it for me as albums anymore.

I think it's because I'm such a fan of the Attractions and I just prefer them backing him to anyone else. But I like both of them more than KOA, PTC, North, Juliet Letters, Kojak Variety, Painted From Memory, GCW, and For the Stars. (those are in order by the way, from favorite to least. Up to and including North, I like most of the way through. After North, I can only take selct tracks. And For the Stars is horrid).
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

For The Stars would have been awesome if Elvis had done the lead vocals :)

I felt a sense of astonishment when I heard Elvis & Steve perform "No Wonder" and "For The Stars" at the Massey Hall show last week. These songs I kind of thought were whatever suddenly sounded awesome.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

BlueChair wrote:For The Stars would have been awesome if Elvis had done the lead vocals :)
Probably true.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

wehitandrun....hell yes, I can't get enough of this album,my dad's LP of this twas the first EC record I heard.

I'll try and explain why this record is cool for me...excuse me if it seems a little disjointed, but how can you say in words what a song means to you?

..this town... - just listen to the opening synth - it's amazing...unlike anything else. brilliant lyrics, great beat, best song on it.
Let Him Dangle - woulda been a hit, shoulda been a hit.
Deep dark truthful mirror - woah, bit introspective and cool, some great metaphorical stuff, hey and Bruce Thomas used it as an example to have a pop at him! :lol:
Veronice - what is there to say that hasn't been said, but I love the way the lasy veronica sounds like a desperate cry!
God's comic - funny stuff, really great live! Not really one you can hum along to, but it's like a precursor to episode of blonde.
Tramp the dirt down - anti-Thatcher, so it's gotta be good! :lol: very very cynical, but great. How many other people sing about dancing on people's graves!
Stalin Malone - really great piece of music, this is one of those ones that you initially kind of ignore, but the tune suddenly hits you while you're in the queue at the library. Listen to it with the words for added effect!
Satellite - really nice song, really well sung, some good imagery, nice composition. He was 'doing' Bacharach with this one, except he forgot to use flugelhorns :lol:
Pads, paws and claws - groovin! Great bass line, Hey, he might be a fake, but Paul can play! :lol:
Any Kings Shilling - one of my favourites, everything about this song means a lot to me. Gentle, celtic undertone...magic!
Coal train robberies - ''repoooorts are coming in, duh nanana, of a coal traaain roobbery!'' Ace! This song rocks.
Last boat leaving - see Any Kings Shilling, very emotional song. Great.

Miss Macbeth and Chewing Gum are okay...but they're my least favourites. I love everything else on this album.

PLUS...the reissue acoustic versions are brilliant, with an ace recording of an old Brindley Schwarz number and a Swinging Blue Jeans number on there!!!!!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I just listened to the bonus disc of Spike again yesterday.. fantastic.

Spike and Punch The Clock are two albums that I was first familiarized with through the Rhino reissues. I got into the bonus discs first thanks to the stripped-down renditions of the songs, but ultimately fell in love with both albums. I'm hoping the same will happen with Goodbye Cruel World.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Hey, I forgot to mention that a great thing about Chewing Gum is when EC sings...

''KINKY BEAST''

always brings a smile to my face!

Blue, do you prefer the demos or the produced spike/PTC?...I prefer the album versions on both accounts (for PTC, mainly cos I think the TKO horns are wicked-cool)
King of Confidence

Post by King of Confidence »

I always liked Romeo's Seance on JL. Nobody ever seems to mention it.

Good call on Toledo; pretty much the only track from PFM that I play.

And I'll second Heathen Town.

And I kind of like King of Confidence.