EC sings live in Bournemouth

Pretty self-explanatory
laughingcrow

EC sings live in Bournemouth

Post by laughingcrow »

Is anyone going to the Bournemouth EC gig??? Verb you said you woz going yeah?

C'mon UK-ites I want to know who's going so I can book my ticket! Of course, if you think that I'm best avoided then that's fine (and completely understandable), please disregard my plea.

I just heard Diana Ross has gone to prison...at least she'll be able to sing Behind Closed Doors with conviction now.
BlueChair

Re: EC sings live in Bournemouth

Post by BlueChair »

laughingcrow wrote:I just heard Diana Ross has gone to prison...at least she'll be able to sing Behind Closed Doors with conviction now.
Unfortunately her sentence is only for a few days.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

LC - I'm definitely going.

I think there's going to be some more UK dates announced though so perhaps people are waiting for those to filter through. Has anyone else already got tickets? I kept mine from the original show.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I just got tickets, happy to make arrangements to meet if possible nearer the time.
signed with love and vicious kisses
verbal gymnastics

SLL - can we trade stories about Billy Bragg? Only three weeks to go!
John

Post by John »

Have a great time all you folks lucky enough to be going tonight.
Please give us a full report tomorrow.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

More UK dates to come?......oh boy oh boy!! *happy dancing*
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Crow, BWAP, SoLack, Verbal - I hope you guys enjoy yourselves tonight. It has only been two weeks since Memphis and I'm already itching for the album which is scheduled to be released in September. :evil:

I want more Elvis and I want it now!

Anyhow, enjoy EC and his music. Full reports will be expected! :)
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Slightly strange show tonight and at 1hr 40mins quite short for an EC gig. He played a few of the new songs and also did Scarlet Tide on his own with his miniature string thing which was good, and only did one North track! He also served up some good oldies including a New Amsterdam/You got to hide your love away medley, Inch by Inch, Suit of Lights, Party Girl, Home Truth.
He was very reticent and didn't talk at all until third encore when he introduced Scarlet Tide by mentioning the oscar nomination and that he's got one thing to say about that - "fucking hobbits!".
Went with BWAP and got to meet VG and friend briefly before and after the show where he kindly gave me the set list that he had swiped, cheers mate.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

That's really odd, SoLack. But everyone on listserv seems to be saying basically the same thing. It's really too bad that the show was so short. It was well over two hours at the Ryman in February. EC and the band were so hot in Memphis - maybe it was the atmosphere.

I heard that the ticket sales weren't all that great. Is that true?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

It wasn't sold out, but it must have nearly been and the atmosphere was quite good for a sit down show it just seemed that EC was doing the show because he had to rather than because he wanted to. Having said that it was still good and I enjoyed it and was kinda glad that he didn't revert to a North tour show because I don't think he could have matched the London gig last year (2 1/2 hours).
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Yeah, that's quite a short show compared to his other recent gigs. Elvis played 36 songs here in Toronto. "New Amsterdam/You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" must've been cool though!

Perhaps EC is tiring of the stripped down tour and is ready to rock again. I wonder if the shows in Portugal will be just as short.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Although it was just him and Steve he was rocking a fair bit.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

http://listserv.aol.com/archives/costello-l.html
-Peter
Never have I looked forward to an EC show so little. He's been moaning
about the way UK audiences received North tunes. The promoters seemed to screw up and the concert had to be postponed last year, I'm sure due to
poor sales. Tonight there don't look enough people to fill this peculiar
and large space and there aren't. I'm sure he'll be moody, having to
come to the UK merely to honour this gig. Bad vibes all round.

But I'm right and I'm wrong. EC did not say a word to the audience until
the third encore. No 'How are You?' no 'this here song' and I loved it.
And instead of seeing EC try to breathe life into North (which,
incidentally, I love) we get something special, namely, what I think is the
first ever EC/SN treatment of the new songs. EC opened with the song
which features the line about 'sometimes I almost feel' followed by Suit
of Lights ( a song I think he brings out when feeling under-valued)
followed by Party Girl. We had New Amsterdam featuring Hide Your Love
Away, we had Indoor Fireworks, Home Truth and loads of 'hits' and not a
single spoken word. But he was playful with us in Inch by Inch and a
couple of others. He sang really well. Other new songs included Country
Darkness (brilliant), one about Ivy (at the piano) The Delivery Man,
Monkey Man and may be one or two more, Scarlet Tide (ukulele), Dark End of the Street. It was a fantastic show and at about 1 hour 40, better
than some of those slightly overlong shows.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Peter wrote:we get something special, namely, what I think is the
first ever EC/SN treatment of the new songs.
Unfortunately for Peter, that is not true. Many of the latter North American dates (Vancouver, Toronto, and Chicago in particular) got several new songs, including "Needle Time", which is the track he is thinking of, and the other tracks he mentioned at the bottom.

Oh well, not to take anything away from Peter's experience... glad he and others enjoyed the show.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

EC did not say a word to the audience until
the third encore. No 'How are You?' no 'this here song' and I loved it.
According to Nick on the eclistserv
he was Mr Geniality himself at the stage door after the show, blaming the
lack of chat and the relative brevity of last night's set on a throat
problem.
verbal gymnastics

Mrs VG has kindly set up the internet at home for me to post this review such is its importance :lol: .

It was a very strange show. Elvis did not say a single word to the audience until he said "Steve Nieve" after Steve left the stage and he thensolo performed Nothing Clings Like Ivy" as the final song of the main set.

He only spoke once more as he spoke about the Scarlet Tide. He did not say Good Evening, Good Night, Thank You. Nothing. It was very strange. I've never seen anything like it.

My initial thoughts were that something had upset him - the audience perhaps which was a bit subdued. There was also no sound check before the show. The show was not sold out.

The show contained some new songs; Needle Time (which opened the set), Nothing Clings Like Ivy, Monkey to Man, The Delivery Man, Country Darkness and She Pulled Out The Pin as well as Scarlet Tide and the closing Dark End of the Street. He also threw in some gems such as Party Girl, New Amsterdam/YGTHYLA, and Suit of Lights.

The show was very short by Elvis' standards - 90 minutes with the main set being an hour.

I got Elvis' setlist which is now owned by SoLacklustre (can you scan it?). It was written as a short set.

It was therefore with trepidation and a degree of pessimism that we went to the stage door...

...but that was a completely different story.

Elvis came out and was charm personified. He was in a happy mood and pleased to sign autographs, tickets, posters, anything and was happy to pose for photos. The flyer for the show said "Elvis Costello with Steve Nieve performing songS from NORTH and other favourites". Elvis joked that it should have read "song from NORTH" as he only performed When It Sings.

Elvis explained that he had a throat infection which hampered his voice. This would explain why the set list was written so briefly. He said he was basically deciding songs depending on what his voice could handle.

I asked him if he was touring the UK later this year as he had a new album to promote. He immediately corrected me and said he have two new albums out this year (guess that answers that one then!). He also told me that he still does not feel he has toured North properly and wants to play shows with a full orchestra. He said the beauty of TJL and North was that he could play them with an orchestra. I guess that means any shows would also include the Brodsky Quartet.

Paddy also let slip that Elvis would be on Later With Jools Holland later in the year but didn't/wouldn't(!) elaborate further. So if you've got any BBC contacts...

Apparently Elvis is now off to Sardinia which I overheard from the sound engineer. He also said Elvis would be touring with The Impostors around October/November but wasn't sure if the tour would be starting in the UK or the US.

Elvis was wearing the obligatory black suit (but with an open necked patterned shirt). Steve wore a black suit and tie.

Elvis met the fans with his also obligatory black leather jacket for you completists!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Well, I should have known that you would fill in the gaps of the story somehow, VG. :wink: And thanks to your Mrs. for letting you have internet time at home.

I suppose the throat problem explains the brief show length. Still a shame - Elvis fans are always left wanting more, even when the show is long. :)
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Glad you got to talk to him vg, I find it intriguing that he didn't mention the throat problem during the show, I also thought that he sung When It Sings very well, and the only time I noticed hhis voice being slightly dodgy was during Shipbuilding. Anyway here is the setlist, hop it works as my photos only seem to work for some on here.
http://sp3.fotologs.net/?u=solacklustre ... 71.jpg&c=f
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Not for me, as ever. Interesting reading about the difference between his wordlessness on stage and his genial nature afterwards. Great news about Later (which I see is back with us next Fri, with David Byrne among others) and UK dates in the future. He's toured here the last two autumns, so why not again? How about a tour based on the NY July approach, alternating an orchestra night with an Impostors one?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Howard Tate is due on Later this friday as well, http://www.bbc.co.uk/later/ , will he do Either Side Of The Same Town ?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

"and I had a sore throat blah blah"

"pssst.... Elvis, can't you just hurry up and release the rest of the reissues all at once?"

Great report btw, Verbal.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Can anyone make out what those two words say before and after "You Turned"? The first looks like House... This House Is Empty Now? Might have been appropriate...
Last edited by bambooneedle on Sun May 02, 2004 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Desperate to see pics? Richybaby's got a couple.

http://www.fotolog.net/richybaby/
Eamonn Singer

EC Sings live in Bournemouth

Post by Eamonn Singer »

The setlist from Bournemouth can also be seen on the EC homepage here:

http://www.elviscostello.info/pic/memor ... emouth.jpg

As for what it says, the words in square brackets appear to be "Shot, House, You turned/ ????] Shot would be Shot with his own gun, House would be This House is empty now.

Can anyone suggest the word after "you turned" or in the line after next before Deep dark. It begins with R or D. Is it Dark End of the Street ?

Eamonn