Your Album To Pass Down...

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
wehitandrun

Your Album To Pass Down...

Post by wehitandrun »

If you could recommend one album above all others to an 18 year old E.C. fan... what would it be?

This one album should be your ESSENTIAL life-defining record... and I know you have them. :o
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Interesting question. I'm not sure that I would necessarily recommend my "life-defining" EC record to an 18-year old. I'd suggest This Year's Model instead. The livewire quality of that record really appealed to me at that age, and if that doesn't sell an 18-year old on EC, nothing will.

For me, EC's greatest artistic achievement (to date) is Imperial Bedroom, but I suspect that a lot of it would elude your average 18-year old.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Oh no, I didn't mean EC album... I just meant in general.

I was hoping to find some new great music, as I found "Squeeze" recently.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

'This Years Model' - no contest even considering other artists!
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Well the album that did it for me when I was 20 was "Abdullah Ibrahim Live At Sweet Basil vol. 1". Sadly it's not available on CD, so I'm planning to copy my LP to CD this weekend. I'd listened to American & European Jazz before, but Ibrahim's African/Ellington/Monk influences were the first time I really loved a jazz record.

It's still my desert island disc.

If you want to go out and buy/download a recommendation, it would be one of the great Al Green albums from '71-73. Start with "Call Me" - you'll soon want the rest. I found all 4 LP's on sale on my 21st birthday, and bought them all with the 10 pounds my mum had given me. Surely the best present a mother ever gave to her son.
maria

Post by maria »

Dark Side Of The Moon. I'm not sure it's life defining for everyone, but at the time this was for me. Recently, having fended off waves of self consciousness and a sense of being very uncool (those who don't recall should know that it was kind of vital to hate all this when the "New Wave" struck, where I was anyway) I listened to it again after a gap of about 25 years and thought: god, it's not half bad at all"
oh I just dunno where to begin
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Rubber Soul, if they don't have it already.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
migdd

Post by migdd »

John Hiatt's Bring The Family.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

London Calling - Clash

The Boatman's Call by Nick Cave
corruptio optimi pessima
Pov

Post by Pov »

Quadrophenia
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

jesus of cool - nick lowe. or harvest - neil young. MAIT was important to me as well. interesting question. I have an 18 y. o. son. he rarely takes my advice. I think if you hand someone a record and tell them it Changed Your Life or whatever you just put too much expectation on it. I loved these records because they were so anti-everything that was a part of my experience then. the late seventies were a dismal time here. two radio stations. the am one played disco and the fm one played skynyrd. and of course there was country music, which was full of Porter Wagoner look alikes. so these records were like air to me.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

I'd have to say that the defining CD for me was "Reality of My Surroundings" by Fishbone. I was an angry little black girl who loved rock but was afraid to admit it--that album was so fierce and hard that it opened the door for me to explore other artists...funny enough, EC was one of them. ROMS has to be one of the best albums of the 1990's...I sure do wish Fishbone would get their shit together and give us some more good music...
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
Bob And Charlotte

Post by Bob And Charlotte »

Dylan´s Blonde on Blonde.

Doesn´t mattet if youre 18 or 81.

At some point on the life of a music enthusiastic, this album will be at the top....
Who Shot Sam?

Re: Your Album To Pass Down...

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

wehitandrun wrote:If you could recommend one album above all others to an 18 year old E.C. fan... what would it be?

This one album should be your ESSENTIAL life-defining record... and I know you have them. :o
Ah, I see. If you asked me today, I'd say either Joni Mitchell's Blue or Dylan's Blood on the Tracks.
RedShoes

Re: Your Album To Pass Down...

Post by RedShoes »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Ah, I see. If you asked me today, I'd say either Joni Mitchell's Blue or Dylan's Blood on the Tracks.
I'd have to agree with <i>Blue</i>....I remember when I bought that album I simply couldn't stop listening to it. So powerful.

Of course <i>Blood on the Tracks</i> is good too, but it didn't affect me quite as deeply. It's almost like the male version of <i>Blue</i>, so it doesn't move me in quite the same way.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

I'm pretty old, so I can't say there is just one album that has defined my entire life. Here are a few that have had great meaning for me in various stages of my life.

Rubber Soul--Beatles
Moondance--Van Morrison
Skylarking--XTC
The Times They Are A-Changin'--Bob Dylan
American Graffiti soundtrack--this, and the Beatles essentially defined my childhood. Yeah, and the Archies record I had.

John Hiatt's Walk On is doing it for me right now.

There are many others. Those are the ones that come to mind at the moment.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

I have tried to pass on a lot of my stuff to my daughter (13). So far this is what she has accepted.

The Clash: London Calling
The best of The Cure
Liz Phair: Exile in Guyville

um

well

um

I guess that is about it so far.
tallulah

Post by tallulah »

Was also going to say Liz Phair EXILE IN GUYVILLE and also possibly BLACK LETTER DAYS by Frank Black and the Catholics. Also their self-titled record is really excellent.

BLUE by Joni Mitchell is another great one.
Last edited by tallulah on Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And I was happy to be alive, in a magic world.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

-Gillian Welch, Time (The Revelator)
Out of all the wonderful albums to be released within my lifetime (so far!), this one has had the most sustained impact on me. It has this achingly gorgeous lullaby quality to it and yet it is not bland or "soothing" in the traditional sense. David Rawlings is a genius at every instrument he plays and the lyrics have this diamond-like precision that is a marvel to me. Also, I find Gillian Welch's voice to be impossibly haunting and evocative.

-Bob Dylan, Time Out of Mind
Nursed me through my first 100 heartbreaks. I tend to skip over the even-numbered tracks a lot and I think that Love & Theft is the better, more consistent record of Bob's latter day renaissance. Still, songs like Not Dark Yet, Love Sick and Highlands are among the man's very best recordings.

-Randy Newman, Good Old Boys
Splurge for the Rhino double disc reissue . To my ears, this is the most brilliant English-language album ever made.
Last edited by El Vez on Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Also Bossanova by the Pixies....damn coolness at it's height!! 8)
corruptio optimi pessima
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

Animal Tracks the third album from the Animals, for youth. Later, Rickie Lee Jones debut, for coming of age.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

How could I forget Johnny Cash's Unearthed? I know, it's a compilation, but it's incredible stuff.
clairequilty

Post by clairequilty »

Beatles White
Figure 8 - Elliott Smith
goodbyegirl

Post by goodbyegirl »

The first one that comes to mind is:

The Monkees--Headquarters

Listened to it on vinyl as a child and then on cd while rocking my little girl to sleep at night. Still enjoy it from start to finish!
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

As for others, no one album had defined my life... however, the following are a few of the albums that at various times in my life, really did leave a big impression on me:

Herb Alpert and His Tijuana Brass "Going Places" - my first album
Not an album, but Traffic's EP "Coloured Rain"
The Beatles "Rubber Soul"
The Cream "Wheels of Fire" (gold studio album)
Mothers of Invention - "Mothermania"
Alice Cooper - "Love it to Death"
Iggy and the Stooges - "Raw Power"
Jerry Garcia, Vasar Clements and Peter Rowan - "Old and In the Way"
The Clash - "Give 'em Enough Rope"