Group Song Focus: "Psycho"

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
wehitandrun

Group Song Focus: "Psycho"

Post by wehitandrun »

I love this song.

Who wrote it?
When was it written?
Why didn't E.C. put it on "Almost Blue?!
What album was it originally on?
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

i've got it, by what i'm guessing is the original performer, on a compilation from the UK of tunes covered by Elvis.

can't remember the name of it. got it on half.com. it's at home, or i'd go look at it and type in the info.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

I have it on the Rykodisc reissue of Almost Blue. I can remember playing it for my dad. After it was over, he just looked at me and shook his head.

I used to know who wrote this song, but I can't remember now. Some down home boy...
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

I ain't never heard EC's version, but I adore the original by Jack Kittel.

That'll be the brilliant Good Year For The Roses: the original versions of songs covered by Elvis Costello you're trying to remember, Poppet.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I have the studio version Elvis recorded during the Almost Blue sessions. It is sort of fuzzy, but I'm guessing that'll be fixed on the reissue.

I keep hearing that a "Leon __" wrote it.

*edit: Leon Payne
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Plaything, your new signature/tag line/artwork thingy, while seizure-inducing, is fun and lovely!
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.cmt.com/news/articles/148483 ... hnny.jhtml

In one case in particular here, an architecture student more or less ushered in the modern era of mass murders. Charles Whitman was a former Eagle Scout, ex-Marine and model student at the University of Texas in Austin who one night in 1966 killed his mother by strangulation and stabbed his wife to death. The next morning, he packed up his Marine footlocker with guns and ammo and food and survival tools and equipment and marched off to school. At UT, he hauled his gear up to the top of the 28-story UT library tower -- then the tallest spot in Austin -- locked the observation deck doors and went to work.

He was a superb sniper and started picking off people as they walked or bicycled to class. No one initially knew what was happening as death rained down from the sky. Before cops finally broke through to the roof and shot him down, he had killed 16 people, wounded 30 more and forever traumatized a university campus and a city.

In San Antonio, news of the tower shootings greatly affected Leon Payne. He was a blind songwriter and singer who had written the great country standards "Lost Highway" and "They'll Never Take Her Love From Me," recorded by Hank Williams. Payne's "Psycho" is unlike anything else he wrote and indeed is very much unlike most other country songs ever written. It's been recorded a few times, most effectively by Elvis Costello, who cut it live at Hollywood's Palomino Club and released it as the B-side of "Sweet Dreams" on a UK-release single. It also appears on his album Almost Blue.

The dark tale is told matter-of-factly -- which only accentuates the horror -- as the song's pace gets faster and faster, and Costello's voice grows darker and darker. It's the story of the frenzied Whitman of the night before his calm sniper spree. And it ends with the chilling line: You think I'm psycho, don't you Mamma/Mamma, why don't you get up?

"Psycho" remains the most chilling song I have ever heard. It can still make the hair on the back of my neck stand up. And that, my friend, is the indicator of a good and powerful song.

http://www.rockabilly.nl/references/mes ... _noack.htm

In 1968, Eddie recorded "Psycho" for the K-Ark label. This bizarre song, about a serial killer, was virtually unknown then since the original fifties version by its composer, Leon Payne (yes, the "I Love You Because" guy), had - understandably - never received any airplay. Since Eddie's version it has become a cult favourite, covered by, among others, Elvis Costello.

A 'net search tells me it appeared on this compilation -

Eddie Noack
Psycho
Compilation CD: Wavy Gravy
BEWARE CD 001999

....which doesn't seem to be available anywhere.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Great song, great ec performance.

Many thanks John for this post.....never knew this story and it make the song even more chilling..
corruptio optimi pessima
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

EC's live version of Psycho is also on a great compilation called From Hell to Obscurity. Apart from that track, this album is also worth getting for the great duet performance of My Girl by Loudon Wainright III and John Hyatt.

I think it is well and truely out of print, but I am sure it could be found with a bit of looking around.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Yes, indeed a fine compilation, there are a few pricey copies available at gemm.com.
Elvis also did a fine acoustic version at the Fundamental Frolics show in 1981, which was released on the soundtrack album.
http://www.elviscostello.info/disc/offi ... rolics.jpg
It can be found on the Great Unknown bootleg set.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

PlaythingOrPet wrote:That'll be the brilliant Good Year For The Roses: the original versions of songs covered by Elvis Costello you're trying to remember, Poppet.
Da! bunny comes thru w/ the goods!

tks dear.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Have to say I haven't heard this. But after EC's creepy performances on "I Want You" on last year's tour, it would be interesting to hear what he might do with the Talking Heads' "Psycho Killer". :D
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
clairequilty

Post by clairequilty »

johnfoyle wrote:http://www.cmt.com/news/articles/148483 ... hnny.jhtml

In one case in particular here, an architecture student more or less ushered in the modern era of mass murders. Charles Whitman was a former Eagle Scout, ex-Marine and model student at the University of Texas in Austin who one night in 1966 killed his mother by strangulation and stabbed his wife to death. The next morning, he packed up his Marine footlocker with guns and ammo and food and survival tools and equipment and marched off to school. At UT, he hauled his gear up to the top of the 28-story UT library tower -- then the tallest spot in Austin -- locked the observation deck doors and went to work.

He was a superb sniper and started picking off people as they walked or bicycled to class. No one initially knew what was happening as death rained down from the sky. Before cops finally broke through to the roof and shot him down, he had killed 16 people, wounded 30 more and forever traumatized a university campus and a city.

In San Antonio, news of the tower shootings greatly affected Leon Payne. He was a blind songwriter and singer who had written the great country standards "Lost Highway" and "They'll Never Take Her Love From Me," recorded by Hank Williams. Payne's "Psycho" is unlike anything else he wrote and indeed is very much unlike most other country songs ever written. It's been recorded a few times, most effectively by Elvis Costello, who cut it live at Hollywood's Palomino Club and released it as the B-side of "Sweet Dreams" on a UK-release single. It also appears on his album Almost Blue.

The dark tale is told matter-of-factly -- which only accentuates the horror -- as the song's pace gets faster and faster, and Costello's voice grows darker and darker. It's the story of the frenzied Whitman of the night before his calm sniper spree. And it ends with the chilling line: You think I'm psycho, don't you Mamma/Mamma, why don't you get up?

"Psycho" remains the most chilling song I have ever heard. It can still make the hair on the back of my neck stand up. And that, my friend, is the indicator of a good and powerful song.

http://www.rockabilly.nl/references/mes ... _noack.htm

In 1968, Eddie recorded "Psycho" for the K-Ark label. This bizarre song, about a serial killer, was virtually unknown then since the original fifties version by its composer, Leon Payne (yes, the "I Love You Because" guy), had - understandably - never received any airplay. Since Eddie's version it has become a cult favourite, covered by, among others, Elvis Costello.

A 'net search tells me it appeared on this compilation -

Eddie Noack
Psycho
Compilation CD: Wavy Gravy
BEWARE CD 001999

....which doesn't seem to be available anywhere.

This all may be true. But have you heard Ed Gein's rendtition of "Happy Together"?

Killer !!!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Theres's an alt. version on Nashville and More as well I believe...
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

There most certainly is.

The released live version from the Palamino on the B-side of Sweet Dreams is heavily overdubbed. The live version itself was pretty good. In my view it was spoilt by the work in the studio.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I remember hearing this song for the first time around 1983-84 on two seperate compilation tapes I was given by different friends. One had the Elvis version and the other a version by an Australian band called the Beasts of Bourbon. (I liked the Elvis version better - the Beasts of Bourbon version is good, but more toungue in cheek - EC's delivery has more than a hint of realism, he really gets into the character).

One of the Foyles might know who learned the song from who. But I think the Beasts of Bourbon were a support band for Elvis on an earlier Australian tour.
Last edited by Boy With A Problem on Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis supposedly first heard the song during a visit to a U.S. radio station in the late 1970s. He was allowed select tracks for airplay and , during a trawl through the stations library , stumbled upon a version of the song. Whether it was the Kittel or Noack version is unclear; the Noack version was , however , referenced as the source in E.C.I.S. at the time.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.austin360.com/music/content/ ... payne.html

Portrait by Paul Milosevich/NASHVILLE SONGWRITERS FOUNDATION

Payne should be among first to be honored

By Michael Corcoran

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Sunday, November 26, 2006

The first group of Austin Music Memorial honorees should include Leon Payne (1917-1969), who learned to play music as a means of supporting himself at the Texas School for the Blind.

This town has an international reputation as a singer-songwriter hotbed, but while such Austin-associated artists as Willie Nelson, Lucinda Williams and Lyle Lovett are well-known, the man who penned the song their current Nashville record label is named after is not. Payne wrote "Lost Highway," a hit for Hank Williams in 1949 and a lyrical influence on Bob Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone."

After the Alba-born Payne, a student at the School for the Blind at 1100 W. 45th St. from age 5, graduated as an 18-year-old in 1935, he drifted from town to town and was billed as "The Texas Blind Hitchiker." Proficient at guitar, keyboards, trombone and drums, Payne played in Bob Wills' Texas Playboys in 1938. Legend has it that after several days in Wills' tour bus, a restless Payne often asked to be let out on the highway where he would thumb his way to the next gig.

From such experiences came those unforgettable lyrics:

"I'm a rolling stone, all alone and lost/ For a life of sin, I have paid the cost/ When I pass by, all the people say/ 'Just another guy on the lost highway.' "

After playing for Jack Rhodes and his Rhythm Boys, fronted by his stepbrother (who would later write "A Satisfied Mind"), Payne formed his own band in the late 1940s. Possessing a smooth vocal croon, he had a No. 1 hit in 1949 with "I Love You Because," written for wife Myrtie, the former classmate at the School for the Blind he reconnected with and married in 1948.

But after Williams cut "Lost Highway" and "They'll Never Take her Love From Me," Payne started becoming better known as a songwriter than singer. Carl Smith hit big with Payne's "You Are the One," Jim Reeves had a No. 1 hit with "Blue Side of Lonesome" and everyone from Ernest Tubb to Al Martino made a crossover standard out of "I Love You Because." Elvis Presley recorded the tune at one of his first Sun Records sessions in 1954.

Payne wrote only a handful of hits, but the 1971 album "George Jones Sings the Great Songs of Leon Payne" is a brilliant display of the overall depth of his material.

Leon Roger Payne suffered a heart attack in 1965 that forced him to stop touring. He had a second heart attack on Sept. 11, 1969, and died at age 52. He was made a charter member of the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1970.

Payne is buried at Sunset Memorial Park in San Antonio, the city where he lived the last few years of his life. And with the upcoming Austin Music Memorial comes the opportunity to recognize Austin's first great country songwriter in the town where he fell under music's spell.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

haha.. reviving whar threads are we, Mr. Foyle? :lol:
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Bump!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Here's a refreshingly uncomplicated reaction to this song -

http://anonsnse.blogspot.com/2007/12/yo ... -mama.html

Sunday, 16 December 2007

parmaviolet ( The ramblings, comments and wants of a fashion and aesthetics obsessed girl. (narcissm the ok type) ) blogs

you think im psycho dont you mama?

(extract)

the title comes from the only song by elvis costello i actually like. My dad is a huge fan of him so im contantly hearign elvis costelllo stuff and i have to say where i used to hate it its now growing on me. My favourite has to be the aformentioned , but the lyrics are are just plain creepy,
johnfoyle

Re: Group Song Focus: "Psycho"

Post by johnfoyle »

Leon's daughter Myrtie Le Payne has a Myspace page -

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... 7e08346895

Leon Payne was my father and his song writing was his life. Blinded at the age of 6, he began writing songs at an early age. As his brothers, sisters and Mother picked cotton, he would sing and hum songs that would later become hits for him. His first band that he called his own, was Leon Payne and His LoneStar Buddies. I have completed the writing of the book about Daddy and it will be released soon.

In my book, I try to talk about many of the songs Daddy wrote and the stories he told me while I drove him to his gigs. I hope ya'll enjoy the book as much as I enjoyed writing it. I began writing this book because of the many stories I had heard that were not true and to show the diversity of his song writing. He definitely was not prejudice in his writing, he in my opinion was the FOREFATHER for alot music, whether it be hillbilly, country&western, rockabilly, and yes, even psychobilly.

LOST HIGHWAY - Lost Highway was written by Daddy while in California. He was trying to get back to Texas to see his sick Mother; and he couldn't hitch a ride to save his soul! While waiting for the Red Cross, who finally helped him get home, he wrote: LOST HIGHWAY!

PSYCHO - Psycho was written in 1968, after we went to an Alfred Hitchcock movie and parts of the movie was explained to Daddy. Of course, he and Mama being blind, parts had to be explained, especially if the parts scared the beejesus out of me. LOL We got home he called his friend Johnny Cash and was telling him about the movie, and when he got off the phone he wrote Psycho. The scene that got to him was when a head rolled down a staircase. I have read that Daddy wrote it after the University of Texas sniper Whitman, this is not true. I have also read that Daddy committed suicide after writing, this for sure is not true.

THE SELFISHNESS IN MAN - This song was written after Whitman, the sniper at UT. It is a beautiful song, that George Jones recorded shortly after Daddy's death.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This would appear to be a reference to ( surprise, surprise) Psycho ; I don't remember a similar sequence in Torn Curtain (1966) but then I haven't seen it in years.