Tower of Dogs

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
laughingcrow

Tower of Dogs

Post by laughingcrow »

It's the same...except with hounds! Only difference is you MUST give a reason for the swap. 2 goes apiece on the dog stack...go!

Bulldog
French Poodle
Hungarian Puli
Border Collie
Saluki
Golden Labrador
Great Dane
Irish Wolfhound
Alsatian
Borzoi
bobster

Post by bobster »

Out -- French Poodle...standard poodles are nice and reputed to be highly intelligent, but the little ones often reflect a rightwingers stereotype...no one even contemplated the idea of "Freedom Poodles". We actually had a poodle, a couple of poodles, they never had much time for me.

In -- Collies. The great dog, the dog that brought us "Lassie", the doggiest of all dogs. We also had a collie, George, who was the best dog I ever had....Did I mention that I can't watch "Lassie Come Home" without a tarp under me? (Border Collies are nice too, but why not have the real thing?)

Bulldog
Collie
Hungarian Puli
Border Collie
Saluki
Golden Labrador
Great Dane
Irish Wolfhound
Alsatian
Borzoi
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Sorry, I'm a cat man. Dogs are too much work. I have no horse (or should that be dog?) in this race.

My father's Siberian Husky was a sweetheart, though.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
bambooneedle

got speakers? spin out to this http://www.cyberscots.com/

Post by bambooneedle »

OUT: with Bulldogs, cos they're ugly bloody things.

IN: with the Scottish Terrier, one time famed subject of the 'bambooneedle' avatar that started it all on the Island board. :)

The updated list:

Scottish Terrier
Collie
Hungarian Puli
Border Collie
Saluki
Golden Labrador
Great Dane
Irish Wolfhound
Alsatian

Grrrr.... Woof!
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

You left out the Borzoi Bamboo!! Im taking out the Saluki as they look so pathetic and folorn!! In with the dalmation (we had one for 10 years -she was a darling)

Scottish Terrier
Collie
Hungarian Puli
Border Collie
Borzoi
Golden Labrador
Great Dane
Irish Wolfhound
Alsatian
Dalmation
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Only two goes? I demand five! Crow got 10 shots! I grew up with at least 2 dogs in the house, always neurotic pedigree types, so have lots of old friends to get in here.

Too many big, obvious dogs in here. And Collie + Border Collie is an outrage (the latter should at least have been a Bearded Collie, a king among dogs). Out with the Border Collie, in with an unmacho miniature, the regal Italian Greyhound. Ours was fabulous. The size of a cat, eternally scavenging for food, able to jump over a metre off the ground when he was about to be fed, and so clean and neat and intelligent-looking. No wonder the royalty and nobility of Europe were content to be painted or represented on their tombs with them, these are dogs with stature.

Scottish Terrier
Collie
Hungarian Puli
Italian Greyhound
Borzoi
Golden Labrador
Great Dane
Irish Wolfhound
Alsatian
Dalmatian
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Well I've got another obvious one, so I'll swap it for the ubiquitous Golden. I wouldn't know a Hungarian Puli if it bit me on the ass, and I hope one never does. But I grew up with a smart sheepdog with a sense of humor that wouldn't quit...

Old English Sheepdog
Scottish Terrier
Collie
Hungarian Puli
Italian Greyhound
Borzoi
Great Dane
Irish Wolfhound
Alsatian
Dalmatian
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Sorry if the dogs are too obvious for you...It was a quick whip round of the varieties, and I couldn't remember all the ones playing cards!

I think Collie is OK, cos if you google image search it, it shows a lassie type as the first load of pictures...border collie does the same, but shows a 'one man and his dog' type collie.

Otis, have as many goes as you want...I just didn't think this thread would last long enough and with enough contributors to warrant 10 :lol: ...but by all means!
Otis Westinghouse

Cool! No more complaints now! Was aware of difference between Lassie and regular Collie, but objecting to the preponderance of collies.

When I was 5 we lived in Cardiff with a Bassett that used to drool down the back of the car seat and onto my neck. We then left for Jersey and you weren't allowed to bring dogs in, so a while later we had to get a replacement. She was called Pumpkin and took an irrational loathing to my sister's husband-to-be. She'd sit on the stairs and emit a ludicrous low bark sound all the time he was in the house.

This one is pretty close.

Out with the Alsatian. Far too aggressive and scary. Alsatian Cousin preferred.

Old English Sheepdog
Scottish Terrier
Collie
Hungarian Puli
Italian Greyhound
Borzoi
Great Dane
Irish Wolfhound
Bassett Hound
Dalmatian
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Last edited by Mr. Average on Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Kudo's to Bamboo for the inclusion of the Scottish Terrier...mine a purebred male named Jake. His bestest friend and my other dog is a West Hghland White Terrier (Oscar), a wonderful pip of an animal with a hell of a personality not unlike mine...

Smart, emotionally charged, and frisky. Attitudinal. Pensive. Pouting.
And really cute. Oscar is the Alpha Male, and Jakey is much more passive, but a great pet. The Cliff Claven little-known fact for the day: The torgue pressure of the clenching jaws of the Scottish Terrier is, normailized for body weight, greater than that of a rottweiller. So don't piss off the lovable Scottish Terrier (nor his board champion, the great BambooNeedle). I see the link.

In with the Westie, out with the Hungarian Puli.

Old English Sheepdog
Scottish Terrier
West Highland White Terrier (Westie)
Collie
Italian Greyhound
Borzoi
Great Dane
Irish Wolfhound
Bassett Hound
Dalmatian
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

How do i add a picture?
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Click the Img button under the Subject line, enter the image url and hit the Img button again. You can also just put [img]before%20the%20url%20and[/img] after it.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

i am NOT a dog person.

that being said, in the past five years there has been exactly ONE dog i have loved.

His name is Murphy. A friend time-shared him because she adored him. He is well mannered. He is friendly. He is HUGE and fluffy.

He's a Bernese Mountain Dog.

My high school buddy loves bassetts. I have only known her bassett hounds, and they are the dumbest dogs i have ever met. and their little legs! they weigh tons, but because their legs are so damned short, you're supposed to carry them up and down stairs. yeah, right. and they slobber. blechy slobbery things. (you are welcome to love them, i cannot.)

therefore, bassett out. bernese in. (see http://www.berner.org for pix)

Old English Sheepdog
Scottish Terrier
Collie
Italian Greyhound
Borzoi
Great Dane
Irish Wolfhound
Bernese Mtn dog
Dalmatian
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
Otis Westinghouse

Like a lance through my heart...

I need some consolation, so will oust the Great Dane (fun, comically enormous things that are always gentle giants, but lack some of the interest factor of a wolfhound, or the might Deerhound [another one of my parents' ex's]). In goes the Weimaraner. We also had one of these, around the time I got into EC. Immortalised in the Blue Monday (remix) video too!

Old English Sheepdog
Scottish Terrier
Collie
Italian Greyhound
Borzoi
Weimaraner
Irish Wolfhound
Bernese Mtn dog
Dalmatian

noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Out: Scottish Terrier
In: Mutt

The Scotty's out because I had one as a child and it was a mean dog. I'm sure everyone else's Scotty is wonderful; I'm not slamming the breed in toto. But I have to remove one, and that's the breed I dislike most. Certainly, I don't wish to offend my friends bvamboo and Mr. Average, whose Scotty's are assuredly wonderful.

The Mutt comes in because every mutt I've ever had was loyal to a fault. My current dog is a border collie/chow/black lab/german shepherd/who knows what else and she's the best dog i've ever known.

Also, pure bred dogs = inbred dogs. The gene pool is too shallow on this tower.

Old English Sheepdog
Mutt
Collie
Italian Greyhound
Borzoi
Weimaraner
Irish Wolfhound
Bernese Mtn dog
Dalmatian
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

So, if you've got an Alsation x Labrador offspring...that's usually called a cross.
When does a cross become a mongrel/mutt?
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

laughingcrow wrote:So, if you've got an Alsation x Labrador offspring...that's usually called a cross.
Over here it's a mutt. Okay, sometimes called a 'mix' but that's still just a nice word for mutt. I totally agree, of course, about how great mutts can be, especially in this day of in-bred pure-breds. I love all these dogs but a mutt from the pound is likely what I'll get, eventually!!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I think you get mutts after two crosses breed, but don't quote me on it.

my favorite mutt

I want to get her a retired greyhound companion, but the Mr. doesn't.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Chrille wrote:Click the Img button under the Subject line, enter the image url and hit the Img button again. You can also just put Image after it.
cool...this is my fave..The Char Pei along with Eddie from Frasier!Image
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Maybe a cross is the result of two seperate breeds...and a mongrel/mutt is the result of more than 2 or undefinable breeds.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

when i was a kid we had a dog born of purebred stock.

except it was a cross breed, so a mutt.

pekinese mother, labrador father.

i knew the facts of life. this had me wondering ALOT. :)

decent dog, funny looking, would have been a great dog if we'd known to train him. stupid family.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

That lab must have had a sore back....and as for the pekinese... :lol:
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Interesting to read about noise and Mr. Average's histories with the scottish terrier. I've never owned one though we did have a dog that looked a lot like this hogawart (I doubt ours was a pure breed):

Cope, you could pick that dog up by its skin, spin it around at 4G and watch it stretch.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I just can't believe no one picked up on my pun about Scottish Terriers--"I'm not slamming the breed in toto." What would Dortothy say?
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare