RIP Ossie Davis

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
El Vez

RIP Ossie Davis

Post by El Vez »

Actor/writer/director/activist Ossie Davis was found dead in his hotel room last night. He was 87. This is incredibly sad as I had such admiration for him as an artist and a conscience. His work on stage, camera and in the political arena with his wife, the great Ruby Dee (they also wrote a book, In This Life Together), was unparalleled and he was just the classiest, coolest man. Rest In Peace.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

He was just on television recently to receive a Kenney Centre Honour. He looked old and frail, though it looked like his wife was in worse shape.

Sad, yes, but 87 is very old and his life was full of many accomplishments and a huge legacy.

RIP
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

The world is a little less special when people like Ossie, Carson and Sontag leave us.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Ossie, Carson & Sontag...They did "Teach Your Children" right?

But seriously folks, Ossie was one of the great ones. Great actor, great guy. See his introduction to "The Autobiography of Malcolm X."
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

The intro was also the eulogy that he read at Malcolm X's funeral.

I almost cried when I saw this. He was like everyone's grandfather...the man who really HAD been through it all, and lived to teach the young black folks about it. I feel like I've lost a relative.
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

ossie davis will be definately missed.

I just got the criterion collection edition of Spike Lee's Do The Right Thing where he playes The Mayor, which is a kind of sage in tattered clothing, alongside to Ruby Dee's Mother Sister. he was great, so cool, so real, he could never be anything but great.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl