Liverpool Feb 16 2005

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Do I sense an original miscount by Mr Foyle (J).
Yep, sorry. My scribbles of details were done in semi-darkness and I skipped a number at one point , therefore arriving an incorrect total on the night ; the error became apparent at the re-write.
John

Post by John »

johnfoyle wrote:He was quiet animated chatting with this lady
I think Elvis always has more time for "the ladies" :wink:
John

Post by John »

Mrs John (who refuses to join the forum and is too busy watching a kiddies film with the kiddies) overheard Elvis' conversation with the lady.
As he was signing autographs with his left hand she asked why he played guitar with the right hand. He replied he would probably be a better guitarist if he did use his left hand.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Hmmmm, thinking of what to wear to the Ryman. If Elvis is digging chicks, I'll be in line for some of that. :)

Maybe something purple. He seems to like purple lately. 8)
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Review: Elvis lives and he's sensational

PAUL SNOWDON
17 February 2005
Liverpool Echo

ELVIS still lives - and as a live act, he just gets better with every passing year.

Liverpool's Royal Court theatre was Elvis Costello's latest stop on a whirlwind European and American tour promoting The Delivery Man.

But there's so much more to a gig with Declan Patrick McManus than plugging a critically acclaimed LP.

Backed by The Imposters, featuring long-established pals Steve Nieve on keyboards and drummer Pete Thomas, Costello plucked some real gems from a back catalogue now numbering more than 300 songs.

Uncomplicated, Deep, Dark, Truthful Mirror and a new take on Everyday I Write The Book were early highlights, while Good Year For The Roses still lingers with raw emotion more than two decades after he first recorded it.

A lifelong Liverpool fan, Costello cheekily dedicated (I Don"t Want To Go To) Chelsea to Steven Gerrard and followed up with blistering versions of Mystery Dance, Watching The Detectives, Pump It Up, High Fidelity and, of course, Oliver"s Army.

He also had the audience spellbound with the moving anti-war song Shipbuilding, while the rocking What"s So Funny "Bout Peace, Love and Understanding still has tremendous power.

There was something to please all his fans in a sensational two and -a- half hour set.
legman open to offers

Post by legman open to offers »

Way to go guys, the pics are fantastic!

The setlist looks great, who's to complain when you get to see the live show? He's not going to play everything you may want, but what you hear still burns a great memory.

Cheers, loto
Now I'm the invisible man, and you can't see me.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Great pictures! Thanks guys.
Now im wondering why i didnt wait for EC in Copenhagen or Hamburg. :(
Had I only known it was that easy. Maybe the next time
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Didn't anybody get him to sign a part of their anatomy ?

Spooky, I think it's time to dust off that little backless number you've been saving for a special occasion...
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Hot damn! If it can work in Japan, it can work in Nashville! WooHoo! :D
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://girlonatrain.blogspot.com/2005/0 ... y-man.html

a girl, some trains and an MP3 player

Thursday, February 17, 2005

The Delivery Man

8.10 On Time

Not bad for an old git.

Two and a half hours of relentless Elvis. I can appreciate it's not everybodys cup of tea but, well, only the most curmudgeonly could've come away from the Royal Court feeling short changed by that performance. He takes you up, he brings you down, he shouts, he whispers, he barely pauses for breath. He dedicates "I Don't Want To Go To Chelsea" to Steven Gerrard. He does "Good Year For The Roses" as if he'd discovered it last week. At one point he sings through his guitar.

There were a couple of songs I didn't recognise.

Perhaps I should get round to listening to "North" all the way through?
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

so lacklustre wrote:You mean your mate Mr Bleasdale didn't take you!
Yeah. The bastard.

:lol:
Mikeh

Elvis and the guitar roadie

Post by Mikeh »

Is it my imagination or does Elvis treat his guitar roadie with total contempt?? At Liverpool he would hold his guitar out at the end of each song and shout "Come ON!" if it wasn't changed in 3.8 seconds. And, he seemed to change the set at will by shout out a song title to The Imposters and then snarl at the roadie for not getting the correct guitar on stage in time!
John

Post by John »

Mikeh, welcome.
Were you one of the guys waiting outside for autographs at Liverpool?
How many of the concerts on the current tour have you been too?

I thought Elvis seemed to treat everyone pretty well including his guitar man. He is undoubtably the driving force and the boss though.
Mikeh

Liverpool

Post by Mikeh »

Hi John, I am a new person to this forum, but and old EC fan. I have seen him at Liverpool and Manchester and have booked for Leeds in May. I wasn't waiting afterwards. Was half joking about the guitar roadie, though EC is clearly the boss, and why not? I have seen him 15 times now, starting in 1984 in Harrogate, solo with T Bone supporting.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This very late blog account has appeared -

http://haribomort.blogspot.com/2006/01/ ... court.html

with some great photos - including this -

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Elvis Costello & The Imposters - Royal Court Theatre Liverpool 16/02/05

Entertainer!!!

The amazing thing about young Declan is that he's never shit. He's different at times but never shit. This gig was stunning from the start - he opened with 'Blue Chair' which had me grinning like a wanking Jap and it never dipped from there. He played most of his new album 'The Delivery Man' which is easily in the list of his best 5 albums.

He played some great looking guitars - think my fave was the blonde Telecaster - I love the sound of a slightly distorted Telecaster!!

He played 2.5 hours straight then off, no encore. The last 1/2 hour was like being pummelled as hit followed hit after hit.

Absolutely fookin amazing!!!

posted by haribomort