Thoughts on "Bespoke Songs, Lost Dogs, Detours & Re

Pretty self-explanatory
Veronica

Thoughts on "Bespoke Songs, Lost Dogs, Detours & Re

Post by Veronica »

I recently bought a copy of Bespoke Songs, Lost Dogs, Detours & Rendevous and while I haven't made it all of the way through (I skip around to hear certain songs), I really like what I've heard so far. Has there been any discussion/prior postings regarding this particular collection of EC songs? Many of them are unknown to me, but I like them as well.
I've also been enjoying the enclosed booklet/liner notes which are penned by EC...fun little tidbits of memories.[/i]
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

oooh, i am so happy to hear this! i too just purchased a copy (yay ebay) and it should be making it way to me soon.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

I got this a couple of months back from amazon.co.uk. A relative has borrowed it, yet to be returned. Grrrr. From what I remember I liked (most of) it. Also got "Good Year For The Roses" at the same time which I enjoyed far, far more than "Bespoke Songs...". The good thing about this is of the 17 songs on the album I've only heard about 9 or 10 of them covered by Elvis. The rest I've still to discover.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Well if we've talked about it it was a long time ago...

This is a great CD, IMO. Johnny Cash's version of HIDDEN SHAME, Robert Wyatt's SHIPBUILDING, and Roy O's COMEDIANS alone would be worth the price of admission, no question. But I *love* For Real's UNWANTED NUMBER (that whole soundtrack from GRACE OF MY HEART is awesome, btw!), and June Tabor's I WANT TO VANISH, among many others.

The range here is just remarkable, and the individual songs are gems on their own terms, for the most part. As a whole, it's a wonder to listen to, a huge affirmation of E's songwriting genius.

Enjoy!!
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

Thanks for reminding me - I got a pal to pick it up in the US because it was never released in the UK.

It's a superb album, just packed with great songs and brilliant performances. My favourite is also "Unwanted Number", which I had never heard before I got the CD.

Track it down and buy it, you won't regret it.
Four eyes - one vision
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

"Unwanted Number" is indeed the surprise highlight. The writing and the execution of it are perfect, and it's nice to see a girl-group song by EC the girl-group-groupie. "UN" reminds me of "Everyday I Write the Book" with it's sixties-style metaphor-heavy lyric.

Still haven't seen "Grace of my Heart" though.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Doc-- It's a good film; sort of does for (or to!!) The Brill Building what VELVET GOLDMINE did for Glam-- a fantasized history, and I like them both, as well as both soundtracks.

But the soundtrack is even better than the (quite good) film-- really, I kept it in my CD player for months. Great stuff, especially if you like that early '60s music with a burgeoning social/sexual consciousness. UNWANTED NUMBER is like a Neil Sedaka song about kids born out of wedlock ("They will bother me, from January to September"). Subversive and catchy as hell. And of course the film is also the source of GOD GIVE ME STRENGTH--GGMS is the centerpiece of the film-- and from that coulda-been-a-one-off collaboration, all of PFM!
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

My girlfriend just got back from Ireland, so I wanted to make her a CD of Irish and Irish-friendly artists. I got out Bespoke songs and put Christy Moore's 'Deportee' and Ronnie Drew's 'Dirty Rotten Shame'- two brilliant songs off this great compilation.
Veronica

Post by Veronica »

In the past 2 days I listened to the complete CD 4 or 5 times, and I just love all of it. Each song is so different but I can really imagine EC singing
(even those he never recorded himself). My favorites are by those artists who are unfamiliar to me. (Johnny Cash sounds like Johnny Cash.) But Tasmin Archer (All Grown Up), Mary Coughlan (Upon a Veil of Midnight Blue), Christy Moore (The Deportees Club) are unknowns to me, and I just love what they do with these songs. Plus Robert Wyatt (Shipbuilding), Roy Orbison, Nick Lowe, Chet Baker...they're all so good. I can tell that I'm going to wear out this CD.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I'll have to get this. For anyone who's never heard Wyatt's utterly plaintive version of Shipbuilding (the original recording, before PTC came out), you must get this CD. I still only have it on 45, but with a lovely sleeve (Stanley Spencer, Shipbuilders on the Clyde).
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Hmmm... I think I'll get it.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

There's an 'unofficial' companion to Bespoke Songs, called 'An Arm a Leg a Severed Head - more songs of Elvis Costello' that is also worth checking out. It's got Allan Mayes, Tracie, Georgie Fame, T Bone Burnett etc.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Where can I get a copy of that?
Veronica

Post by Veronica »

Was this available in the UK only? I can't locate it.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

It's a boot - so availability is limited. If you're interested, PM for more info.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

ReadyToHearTheWorst wrote:There's an 'unofficial' companion to Bespoke Songs, called 'An Arm a Leg a Severed Head - more songs of Elvis Costello' that is also worth checking out. It's got Allan Mayes, Tracie, Georgie Fame, T Bone Burnett etc.
Here's a piece about his comp.
http://www.geocities.com/anarmalegandas ... liner.html
Veronica

Post by Veronica »

Thanks martinfoyle!
snarling pup

Bespoke Songs - out of print?

Post by snarling pup »

Here's the full text of EC's liner notes:

http://www.rhino.com/features/liners/75273lin.html

Anybody know where to find this disc?
HungupStrungup

Re: Bespoke Songs - out of print?

Post by HungupStrungup »

snarling pup wrote:Anybody know where to find this disc?
You might find it at http://www.walmart.com
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The sleevenotes for this are no longer at the above Rhino link. Did anyone make a copy ? If so, would they please post them.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Thanks! I have the disc and wanted to use some of the notes for something and was just too lazy to scan the sleeve!