EC song soundbytes

Pretty self-explanatory
bambooneedle

EC song soundbytes

Post by bambooneedle »

What certain parts in particular EC songs do you especially look forward to? Do many EC songs 'climax'? I don't know, just asking.

Eg. Pills And Soap - Steve's piano combined with organ from 1.49 - 2.07. Related question - what exactly is that sound keeping the beat? Sounds almost like a handclap. Favourite singing is from 2.54 - 3.21 where EC layers it with his own backing vocal.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I love the bits where his voice seems to crack (if that's the right word) like in "Jack Of All Parades" at 3.34 or "The Letter Home" at 0.53.
I've been always wondering whether this is intentional or his voice just tends to 'crack' at some points, yet it only adds to the emotional depth of a song.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
anjabro

Post by anjabro »

I love the end of 'Riot Act', the final 'you can make me....' just sounds to me like he was meant to continue, but he's too exhausted/emotional to carry on singing..
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

for me, there is no better 'climax' in the Costello catalogue that that which starts with the ominous opening bass lines of Beyond Belief and builds through "I might make it California's fault be lost in Geneva's deepest vault, just like the canals of Mars and the Great Barrier Reef I come to you Beyond Belief" ...then crescendo's to "I've got a feeling I'm going to get a lot of grief. Once this seemed so appealing, Now I am beyond belief"

Great song in it's entirety that builds in such a way that I anticipate every phase of its progression. Nothing real deep at all. Purely visceral. And pure excitement.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The percussion at the start and middle of Lipstick Vogue 'gets' me every time. I was watching a DVD of the 1978 Rockpalast performance of it the other day and it was fascinating to see Pete doing it almost identically to the studio performance.
MistakenForLilies

Post by MistakenForLilies »

The bridge in 13 Steps Lead Down ("she stands and fails..."). The melody there is the only break in the intense, straight rock and roll and makes the song more interesting. The words probably make it the song's key passage.

Also the bridge in There's a Story in Your Voice ("far away...") because EC sounds like he's finally getting into the song. Also maybe because it's a welcome break from Lucinda William's overly-gravelly voice.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Two more come to mind:

1. The closing instrumental of "Home is Anywhere" from Blood and Chocolate. Big warm sound that I look forward to and always brings a smile.

2. This lyrical sequence from Episode of Blonde:
"I tried to keep a straight face but you know it never pays
He would stare into those eyes and then vacation in her gaze
She was a cute little ruin that he pulled out of the rubble
Now they are both living in a soft soap bubble
"

I love te way he sings this particular vignette.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
AlmostBlue

Post by AlmostBlue »

The very haunting keyboar dcrescendo in "Battered Old Bird." Steve seems to combine a backwards segment, mix tempos, keys, etc. It is quite wild. perhaps someone can explain it to me like I am a two year old.