Baseball's back

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

What should I do about Barry Bonds, who is now on the 15 day disable list with no timetable for return? Bench him?

I dont want to get rid of him ...
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

thanks, I think I already understood that. I am referring to a waiver and replacement, the waiver has gone but the player I had picked from the available list is not showing on my Monday line up, it just says --empty--
signed with love and vicious kisses
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

definately bench him. in some leagues there is a DL catagory. IF that is availible here you can pick up another player until you want to bring him back onto the activer roster. You will have to check. Otherwise you will have to wait it out. I took him off my draft sheet for that very reason.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

pip, unless you have someone who can replace his production (can't think of who that might be) and are prepared to go through the season with him taking a bench spot in the hope he eventually returns, it would make sense to dump him. From the estimates I've read, he will be out anywhere from half a season to the full season. Then there's the bad karma that comes with having baseball's biggest jerk on your team (though admittedly an incredible hitter, steroids or no steroids).

You may want to keep him on the bench for a little while, then dump him for another hitter when you see which of the undrafted players (and there are always a few) are having breakout seasons.

There is one DL spot in our league, I believe. So you may want to consider adding another player and keeping Barroids. But from the sound of it, he's not coming back for a long long while.

so lack, if Thomson, the Atlanta pitcher, is the player your are referring to, just select P rather than BN next to his name on your Monday lineup. That is the only empty position I see.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I guess Ill bench him for a little while and see what happens. I hate to just ditch him right at the start though, just in case ...
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

This is my pitching line up for Monday

SP J. Schmidt (SF - SP) SPPBench - - - - - -
SP C. Zambrano (ChC - SP) SPPBench ^@Ari 10:10 pm - - - - - -
RP J. Isringhausen (StL - RP) RPPBench - - - - - -
RP G. Mota (Fla - RP) RPPBench - - - - - -
P M. Clement (Bos - SP) SPPBench - - - - - -
P --empty-- - - - - - -
P B. Wickman (Cle - RP) RPPBench @CWS 8:05 pm - - - - - -
BN A. Leiter (Fla - SP) SPPBench - - - - - -
BN Ru. Ortiz (Ari - SP) SPPBench ChC 10:10 pm - - - - - -
BN J. Thomson (Atl - SP) SPPBench - - - - - -
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:This is my pitching line up for Monday

SP J. Schmidt (SF - SP) SPPBench - - - - - -
SP C. Zambrano (ChC - SP) SPPBench ^@Ari 10:10 pm - - - - - -
RP J. Isringhausen (StL - RP) RPPBench - - - - - -
RP G. Mota (Fla - RP) RPPBench - - - - - -
P M. Clement (Bos - SP) SPPBench - - - - - -
P --empty-- - - - - - -
P B. Wickman (Cle - RP) RPPBench @CWS 8:05 pm - - - - - -
BN A. Leiter (Fla - SP) SPPBench - - - - - -
BN Ru. Ortiz (Ari - SP) SPPBench ChC 10:10 pm - - - - - -
BN J. Thomson (Atl - SP) SPPBench - - - - - -
Select P from either Leiter's, Ortiz's Thomson's drop-down menu, confirm changes, and voila... Decent pitching staff.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Okay, got it now. It was a bit too easy for me to understand!!!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

For players who are on the DL that you want to keep, I confirmed that there is one "DL" spot reserved. This option will only show up for players that Yahoo! has designated as on the DL. If you put your player on the DL, you can pick another player up without having to dump anyone from your roster. But once that player comes back off of the DL, you will need to dump a player once you re-activate him. pip, I got your PM on this and am looking into your problem with Barroids.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Here are the full rules on placing a player on the disabled list. We have one DL spot in our league. For the player you want to designate for the DL, be sure to select the DL option for the FOLLOWING DAY'S lineup. Otherwise, it will not allow you to add a new player.

Eligibility for the DL

In order to be eligible for the DL position in Fantasy Baseball, a player must be on the real-life disabled list. Players that are day-to-day are not eligible for this position. Player injury notes are updated nightly based on official information.

In some cases, there may be a delay between the time that the player is placed on the DL and the designation appearing in Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Baseball.

Similarly, a player may be activated by their professional team on the day of a game. If a manager places them into their active lineup for that day, they will receive credit for all statistics earned by that player.

Placing a Player on the DL

When placing a player on the disabled list, please make sure to move him to the DL spot on tomorrow's roster. Since players added via free agency and/or waivers are not officially added to your roster until the following day, there must be an opening on that day's roster in order for you to add a player.

To move a player to the DL for the next day, just click the Edit Lineup link on your team page or the link showing the next day's date.

Once a player has been moved to the DL, you will be able to drop the resulting "empty" slot when adding a new player.

Activating a Player from the DL

Since a player on the fantasy DL does not count toward your active roster limit, activating a player is similar to adding a new player via free agency and/or waivers.

If you are currently carrying the maximum number of players, you will be prompted to drop a player when activating the player currently on the DL.

Once on the DL, a player may stay there for the entire season, even if he returns to real-life action. However, once a player comes off the real-life DL, you will not be able to complete any transactions until you remove him from your team's DL. You will, however, be able to make intra-roster moves (switching players between bench and active) regardless of a player's DL status.

You can also use your bench spots to house injured players. If you have no available DL or bench positions, or if your league doesn't allow them, you will need to drop the injured player from your roster if you want to pick up another player.

Adding a DL Player to a Team

Players can never be added directly to your fantasy team's DL. Instead, they must first be added to your roster and then put on the DL. So, if you have a full roster, you will need to drop a player before you can claim the new player.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I bet you wish you never started this!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Nah, once we get started, things should cool off. All of this stuff is just cut and pasted from the rules section of the Yahoo! site.

Besides, I think I've answered all of the major questions now. I can just do the Prime Minister's Question Time thing - "I refer the honorable gentleman to the answer I gave some moments ago..."
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I'm in no way up to the fantasy league, but dang it's nice to be watching baseball again, to say nothing of seeing the Sox up by one at Yankee Stadium at this early phase of Game 1. I barely care what happens this year; it's all icing. Winning would be nice, however...
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

If you are at least a casual fan, fantasy sport will make you much more aware of the other players in the league beyond your favorite team. This is good because you get a lot more out of watching the sport.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

One additional little note. If you look at your lineup for a given day, the ^ symbol for a pitcher (next to the abbreviation for the team he is facing) indicates that he is the projected starter for that game. This will help you figure out when it makes sense to rotate players in or out. Just remember - once you add a player to your lineup, he stays for all subsequent games unless you replace him.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I'm in the lead!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

BlueChair wrote:I'm in the lead!
Easy boy! Most teams didn't even have anyone playing yesterday.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

He gets easily excited :roll:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

RedShoes wrote:He gets easily excited :roll:
I'll leave that one alone! :wink:
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Im in 5th place!
Declanation

my idea of fantasy baseball

Post by Declanation »

My idea of fantasy of fantasy baseball would be watching the Yanks beat Boston in the World Series whilst getting an icredible blowjob from a very enthusiastic blonde with gargantuan hooters.

Sign me up for that.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Do you mean a blowjob from a blonde baseball player with a big nose?
selfmademug

Re: my idea of fantasy baseball

Post by selfmademug »

Declanation wrote:My idea of fantasy of fantasy baseball would be watching the Yanks beat Boston in the World Series whilst getting an icredible blowjob from a very enthusiastic blonde with gargantuan hooters.

Sign me up for that.
Oh, an all-around asshole, then, I see.
Who Shot Sam?

Re: my idea of fantasy baseball

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

selfmademug wrote:
Declanation wrote:My idea of fantasy of fantasy baseball would be watching the Yanks beat Boston in the World Series whilst getting an icredible blowjob from a very enthusiastic blonde with gargantuan hooters.

Sign me up for that.
Oh, an all-around asshole, then, I see.
Nah, just a typically classy Yankees fan.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Good point, actually. Like those other three paragons of class I saw sitting together in a Bronx box-- Regis Philbin, Donald Trump and Henry Kissinger. I.e., three other men who will not, anytime soon, be getting a blow job from this enthusiastic blonde.