RIP Johnnie Johnson

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

RIP Johnnie Johnson

Post by BlueChair »

Johnnie Johnson, the blues pianist who will probably always be best known as a player on most of Chuck Berry's hit recordings has died at 80.

ST. LOUIS, Missouri (AP) -- Johnnie Johnson, a rock 'n' roll pioneer who teamed with Chuck Berry for hits like "Roll Over Beethoven" and "No Particular Place to Go," died Wednesday. He was 80.

Johnson died at his St. Louis home. The cause of death was not immediately known, said publicist Margo Lewis. He had been hospitalized a month ago with pneumonia and was on dialysis for a kidney ailment, said John May, a friend and fellow musician.

Though he was never a household name, Johnson and Berry's long collaboration helped define early rock 'n' roll. Johnson often composed the music on piano, then Berry converted it to guitar and wrote the lyrics. In fact, Berry's "Johnny B. Goode" was a tribute to Johnson.

After he and Berry parted ways, Johnson performed with Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, John Lee Hooker and Bo Diddley, among others. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2001 in the "sidemen" category.

"He left the indelible imprint of his sound," May said. "He was able to transition through any musical style because he just loved to play music."

Berry was on a plane returning from a visit to Europe on Wednesday and unavailable for comment, a spokeswoman said.

Johnson was born in Fairmont, West Virginia, and began playing piano at 4. He moved to Chicago after World War II, where he played jazz and blues in clubs. He moved to St. Louis in the early 1950s, forming his own R&B band, the Johnnie Johnson Trio.

When a band member became ill on New Year's Eve 1952, Johnson hired Berry to fill in.

Johnson and Berry parted ways in the early 1970s, and in 2000, Johnson sued Berry, seeking a share of royalties and proper credit for what Johnson said were more than 50 songs the men composed together. A federal judge dismissed the suit in 2002, ruling that too many years had passed since the disputed songs were written.

The lawsuit contended that Berry took advantage of Johnson's alcoholism, misleading him into believing that only Berry was entitled to own the copyrights "and reap the monetary benefits."

Johnson is survived by his wife and children.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bobster

Post by bobster »

I knew of Johnson, but hadn't realized that he might have cowritten those songs. That would make him a pretty damn important person in rock and roll history.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Don't forget Johnie's work with Rat Dog and Bob Weir.... :o
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

It was just a couple years ago I saw Johnnie playing w/ Chuck Berry in the Duck Room at Blueberry Hill. He played VERY well, amazing for being in his upper 70's, which is more than I could say for Chuck -- and he stole the show.

Seem to recall a legal scrap between him and Chuck. Johnnie claimed he had written many of Chucks songs but never received the appropriate royalties. Anyone know more about that?