Nottingham, Thursday 26 May

Pretty self-explanatory
Eamonn Singer

Nottingham, Thursday 26 May

Post by Eamonn Singer »

Is anyone else going to be at the Royal Centre tonight?

We can (I presume) expect a reasonably upbeat EC.

Prior to last night's European Cup Win, Johnnie Walker played "(I don't want to go to) Chelsea" on his BBC Radio 2 show, and dedicated it to all Liverpool fans. Other songs to look out for tonight to mark Liverpool's triumph might include "The Scarlet Tide", "Turning the town red" and maybe "Cry, Cry, Cry" for the AC Milan fans :wink:

Nick
Eamonn Singer

Post by Eamonn Singer »

Set list from Nottingham as Royal Centre was as follows:

1 Blue Chair
2 Uncomplicated
3 45
4 Welcome to the working week
5 Radio radio
6 Country darkness
7 Needle time
8 Shabby Doll
9 Temptation
10 The name of this thing is not love
11 Either side of the same town
12 (I don't want to go to) Chelsea
13 Sulky girl
14 Our little angel
15 Toledo
16 Tart
17 Almost blue
18 Nothing clings like Ivy
19 Complicated shadows
20 When I was cruel # 2
21 Watching the detectives
22 The Delivery Man
23 Monkey to man
24 Accidents will happen
25 There's a story in your voice
26 Man out of time
27 Shipbuilding
28 Hurry down doomsday (the bugs are taking over)
29 What's so funny 'bout Peace, love and understanding ?
30 Oliver's army
31 Beyond belief
32 Riot act
33 The Scarlet tide

Concert ran from 20.04 until 22.32 (2 hours 28 minutes)

Slight hiatus after the first two numbers where an onstage monitor was misbehaving and had to be fixed. EC went for a couple of acoustic guitar numbers to fill time while it was fixed. The overall sound improved considerably from that point onwards. EC and the band were dressed all in black except for EC's bright red (Liverpool FC colour) tie. Not much chat from EC, and lots of songs ran one into the other. EC referred to the Norwich gig in response (I think) to some heckling along the lines of "Lets be having you". He likened it to his first Welsh gig (in Aberystwyth, where someone in the audience had thrown beer (mild and bitter) over him.

When did Davey grow his beard ?

Nick
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I like that set list, getting jealous I'm not seeing him on this leg.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Miss Macbeth

Post by Miss Macbeth »

The sets are so much better in Europe. I'm jealous too! There are just some songs he don't play over here very often, I guess because he thinks we don't relate to them as well. Well, I'd love to hear a set like that over here. Maybe someday.
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

It was a great gig, he seemed very keen to play. No doubt the bizarre reaction from certain areas to the Norwich gig meant that an appreciative Nottingham crowd was a relief. Particular favourites from the night, and not quite as I expected, were 45 and Toledo, both of which sound perfect - the band gelled beautifully.
Saw him at Buxton in February, and as a performance, this topped it.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

What you've read about Norwich is a load of bollocks. Honestly it was great.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

Fishfinger king wrote:What you've read about Norwich is a load of bollocks. Honestly it was great.
I meant the media reaction, about which Elvis commented whilst onstage.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Hey Bad Amb, another Rufus fan!

That setlist is awesome. More TDM than Leicester. And some more exciting surprises like Riot Act. Basically, you gotta do what VG's mate is doing and see him 4 times in a week to getthe full measure of it.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

' Nothing Chimes Like Ivy' - must be from the same album that has 'Country Doctors'............

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/content ... ture.shtml

BBC Nottingham

Elvis Costello @ Royal Concert Hall 26/05/05

Review by Katie Hall

The classic singles steal the show as Elvis Costello plays a 150 minute marathon.

"I didn't always play such salubrious venues…"

Nottingham's Royal Concert Hall, filled with a seated audience of smartly dressed middle-aged couples, is a long way off from Elvis Costello's semi-punk beginnings, three decades ago. But he didn't have so many songs back then.

The two and a half hour performance was non-stop; not even the countless guitar changes could hold up the proceedings.

Elvis and his Imposters (including the captivating Steve Nieve on keyboards) moved from fast-paced pop, to blues, to rock and roll, and to acoustic ballads with seemingly effortless precision.

Slow and bluesy new album, The Delivery Man, provided the bulk of the set, with Nothing Chimes Like Ivy and Monkey To Man being the most memorable.

But the classic singles stole the show, which really got started four songs in with Radio Radio.

(I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea couldn't come too soon, actually getting the surprisingly subdued crowd to tap their feet.

The set closed on a high with an unforgettable combo of Shipbuilding, Peace, Love and Understanding and Oliver's Army, which would have been worth the ticket price alone.

And finally, demonstrating that his voice has lost no power over the years, part of new acoustic song The Scarlet Tide was performed beautifully without a microphone; transforming the grand venue into a picture of intimacy and moving the audience to a standing ovation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About Katie Hall

I'm a mild punk-rocker who has been enjoying the delights of Nottingham over the past three years in the ways that students generally do. My first love was Zappa the cat, named after his highness Frank. My second is my dad's vinyl collection.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.wireimage.com/GalleryListing ... 661&nbc1=1

Elvis Costello in Concert
May 26, 2005 - Royal Concert Hall
Nottingham, Great Britain

Including -

ImageImageImageImage