19 Watching the detectives
20 The Delivery Man
21 The Butcher's Boy [Trad.]
22 Monkey to man
23 Don't lose your grip on love [Brinsley Schwartz]
24 Alison
25 Suspicious minds
26 Mystery Dance
27 Why don't you love me (like you used to do)
28 I can't stand up (for falling down)
29 High fidelity
30 You really got a hold on me [William "Smokey" Robinson]
31 (What's so funny 'bout) Peace, love and understanding ?
32 Oliver's army
33 Pump it up
34 The Scarlet tide

Concert ran from 20.05 until 22.28 (2 hours 23 minutes)

EC played "Don't lose your grip on love" sitting on the edge of the stage, then slipped into a front row seat for Alison and Suspicious Minds.

According to EC it was 50 years to the day since Mr Dave Bartholomew released "The Monkey".

Crowd was warm and was up on its feet from Suspicious Minds onwards. The Scarlet Tide was song mostly off-mic as it usual on this tour.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Great setlist! Seems unusually well-paced.

I love the Butcher's Boy. Hope he plays that again next week in Denmark.
What this world needs is more silly men.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Fabulous. Wish, like VG, I'd gone to this as well as Leicester! Nice inclusion of two IB songs, and very unexpected Radio Silence, which I would love to see live. I don't recall him playing that (in London, at least) on the WIWC tour. I wonder if it's been played at all on this. Is anyone keeping tabs? Maybe I should resurrect my 2002 habit of tracking the total number of songs played on the tour.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

He played Radio Silence in Grand Prairie, Texas on March 15, which has been torrented on dimeadozen.

(They also played King Horse, Clown Strike, Brilliant Mistake, Hurry Down Doomsday, New Amsterdam and Love That Burns that night. I'm gonna listen to my downloaded disc next week after seeing him twice in Denmark this weekend. Don't wanna spoil any surprise arrangements.)
What this world needs is more silly men.
Otis Westinghouse

Better seek out that torrent...
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Birmingham was a superb show. The Symphony Hall is a purpose built hall with great acoustics.

Elvis and the boys are really on top form. Their playing is incredibly tight and they really are enjoying themselves on stage. I would say that was the best Imposters show I've seen (even including the Hammersmith show which is a favourite for sentimental reasons. Sorry Muggy :wink: )

Elvis didn't talk a great deal. Early into the show someone shouted for Alison. Elvis replied that at his age he had to do the songs in sequence. Then he made a couple of comments about Tony Christie being No 1 (in the UK) with Is This The Way To Amarillo? and how he should have come out on stage with a big frilly shirt.

He introduced Brilliant Mistake as a song from our new album (interesting use of the word "our" in this context).

He was wearing a dark blue suit, pink French cuff shirt, checked tie and the boots.

I got Steve's set list but gave it to someone else although I know Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down wasn't on it.

After Alison/Suspicious Minds the crowd gave him a standing ovation and this was the cue to stand and dance. He was speaking to the band a lot to decide the next song. I also remember Shipbuilding was on the setlist but didn't get played as it would have spoiled the tempo.

Pump It Up also included Ain't That A Lot Of Love and Subterranean Homesick Blues and Needle Time added two lines of Yer Blues.

All four of the boys came out after the show. All four were chatty.

I said to Davey that he was bankrupting me this year. He asked me how many shows I'd been to. I told him it was the fifth time I'd seen them this year so far and he said I should buy 4 shows and get one free. I asked him to put that to Elvis and he laughed. I'll take that as a "No" then.

Someone told Pete that Elvis was following William Hague [the former English Conservative Prime Minister] on stage on Wednesday 1st June at the Hay Festival. Pete said "You've got to be kidding. Elvis will go ape". Actually it's not true but we wondered if Pete would say anything to Elvis :twisted:

When Elvis came out he had changed into a black shirt, black tie, black overcoat and hat and was wearing black boots. He was happy to sign things and have pictures taken with him.

I asked Elvis what era The Delivery Man is set in. He laughed and said he'd been working on the songs since 1999. Then he said it was a very interesting question. Elvis said that he hadn't really given it too much thought but said the place where it was set was ficticious "like Brigadoon".
He then repeated it was a very interesting question.

Elvis was also asked why he wasn't coming over to England with Emmylou Harris. Elvis replied "Because no one's invited us." adding "Because no one with the right amount of money has asked us". I was going to suggest we have a whip round!

Eamonn Singer said on a different thread about the shows that may happen next year. I also understand that one of the reasons Elvis is doing so many Imposters shows this year is to help fund an orchestral tour next year which will obviously be very expensive.

Steve said he didn't know anything about a proposed orchestra tour (although he was unlikely to admit it to us!!!). The utterances I heard were of possibly being Il Sogno as the first part of a show with Elvis and Steve playing the second part with the orchestra. This would partly tie in with what Elvis told me last year when he said he didn't feel that he had properly toured North and would like to do songs from North with an orchestra.

We followed Elvis and Paddy out of the building and they walked off into the night. Me and my friends watched as, although we were thinking of going that way to our car, we didn't want to appear like we were stalking them!

A great night.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

William Hague [the former English Conservative Prime Minister]
Wrong - 12 pints-a-day Willy never got that far.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Hague
Otis Westinghouse

verbal gymnastics wrote:I said to Davey that he was bankrupting me this year. He asked me how many shows I'd been to. I told him it was the fifth time I'd seen them this year so far and he said I should buy 4 shows and get one free. I asked him to put that to Elvis and he laughed. I'll take that as a "No" then.
Not that I'm stalking you or anything, VG, but which was the fith? My file on you says Brighton, Hammy, Leic, Brum. Did I miss one?

Nice account!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Not that I'm stalking you or anything, VG, but which was the fith? My file on you says Brighton, Hammy, Leic, Brum. Did I miss one?
Warwick on 13th February. As Blur sung "We've got a file on you". Under the Freedom of Information Act can I request copy of this file? :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

I see! How did it compare?
Eamonn Singer

Post by Eamonn Singer »

Verbal wrote:

"Someone told Pete that Elvis was following William Hague on stage on Wednesday 1st June at the Hay Festival. Pete said "You've got to be kidding. Elvis will go ape". Actually it's not true but we wondered if Pete would say anything to Elvis "

I was that someone and turns out that I was right. See the Hay Festival thread for confirmation that WH did indeed speak just in front of the stage prepared for EC and the Is, 20 minutes before they went on. Did Elvis go ape ? The Monkey anyone?

Nick