LIVE 8

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

He was good on Jonathan Ross, he's a great orator, and a nice combination of deadly seriousness without taking himself too seriously. It was inevitable there'd be something to mark the 20th and I'm with Blue that the change of emphasis is good this time, but if only some of Mike's line-up were involved!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Mike Boom wrote:I see Pink Floyd are re-uniting with Roger Waters for this - at least that will be worth seeing.
If only Syd would turn up :wink:
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

If only Syd would turn up
Now, THAT would be worth seeing - I can just see Mariah Carey followed by Syds Floyd doing Bike. :D
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

They just announced the Barrie (yes, the armpit of Ontario located next to Toronto) lineup of Live 8 and it is the most boring and predictable lineup I have ever seen.. at least London has U2, R.E.M., McCartney, The Who, and Pink Floyd on the same bill.

All we have is a bunch of Canadians unheard of outside Canada (Tragically Hip, Our Lady Peace, Billy Talent), a sorry excuse for a legend (Bryan Adams), a few Canadian icons who play here every week anyway (Gordon Lightfoot and Bruce Cockburn), and... wait for it.. live via satellite.. Celine fucking Dion.

As for the non-Canadian act on the bill... Motley Crue! Can you believe it!?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

I wondered how long before Celine Dion would raise her ugly head. Perhaps they will be asking for us to support the cause if she promises to shut the fuck up?
Her and Mariah "Im so sexy, listen as I over emote" Carey actually make me throw up a little bit in my mouth whenever theyre mentioned.
A duet is my idea of hell.
echos myron like a siren
lawngnome

Post by lawngnome »

Actually, I've heard of all those Canadian acts! But then, I am in Michigan, which might as well be Canada.
Otis Westinghouse

No Ron?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Yeah, that's one oversight that particularly annoyed me considering he's a mainstay of the Toronto scene.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

and where's the long awaited Crash Test Dummies reunion? :roll:
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Ah now, if only they put Celine and Billy Talent on the stage together...
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I can't stand a lot of these acts, but take Old Nosey Dion as an example. A lot of people buy her records and think she's great. If that gets a few people tuning in and thinking about the shit world some people have to live in, fair enough I say.

Simplistic maybe, but I'd love to see a bill with the Trash Can Sinatras, Teenage Fanclub and Glenn Tilbrook.

Let's be real...hardly anyone would tune in.

The whole thing has left me a little cold, but if Geldof is trying to attract the attention of the western world, Ron Sexsmith isn't going to do that. Sad but true. :cry:
corruptio optimi pessima
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

if Geldof is trying to attract the attention of the western world, Ron Sexsmith isn't going to do that. Sad but true.
I understand this logic but Im not so sure that its true at all. If you have a bill with the Stones, The Who, Macca and Pink Floyd I think youve got a pretty huge audience right there - who are those fans going to enjoy more Ron Sexsmith or Celine Dion, the Teenage Fanclub or Mariah Carey?? Whose more likely to march on a protest march Celine Dion fans or Ron Sexsmith fans? I know who Id put my money on. Do the general public like crap music because thats what they genuinely like or is it because its whats put in front of them all the time?
echos myron like a siren
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

The exclusion of the legendary Stompin' Tom Connors is, quite rightly, causing a ruckus as well.
Here's a petition we can all sign to right this wrong.

While we're at it, why haven't Haywire been asked as well?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Apparently I'm not the only one who has issues with the Canadian lineup:

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2005/06/22/1099783-cp.html

Cdn. Live 8 organizer defends lineup

By ANDREA BAILLIE

Concert magnate Michael Cohl responds to a question during a news conference announcing the venue and artists for the Live 8 concert Tuesday. (CP/Adrian Wyld)
TORONTO (CP) -- The mastermind behind Canada's Live 8 show fought back Wednesday against critics who say the lineup is filled with musical has-beens.

"These are our best artists. It's not all of them, but it's sure a substantial portion of them," Michael Cohl said of performers like Bryan Adams, Gordon Lightfoot and Tom Cochrane who are scheduled to play at the July 2 event.

"These are people who have competed on the world stage successfully."

The Canadian bash -- to be held in Barrie, Ont., about an hour's drive north of Toronto -- will be the smallest of eight shows happening simultaneously around the world.

Spearheaded by musician Bob Geldof, their aim is to pressure leaders of the wealthy G8 nations to increase aid to Africa when they meet in Scotland next month.

While the shows in London and Philadelphia are set to feature monster acts like U2, Coldplay, R.E.M, Destiny's Child and Stevie Wonder, the Canadian event has come under fire for what some perceive as a lacklustre lineup.

"The Tragically Un-hip?" asked a Toronto Star headline displayed above a picture of grizzled homegrown music veterans like Burton Cummings and Bruce Cockburn -- both scheduled to play in Barrie.

The paper's pop music critic went on to say that as the slate of performers was announced earlier this week, an "entire nation's worth of yawns being stifled" could be heard.

A music writer at the Winnipeg Free Press said the show is missing "any semblance of hipness or current musical relevance, especially in light of all the glowing Montreal/Toronto music-scene profiles that have appeared in publications like the New York Times and Spin."

And a pundit on Macleans.ca predicted that the highlight of the day will be "when the bands gather onstage to fight over the last pair of false teeth."

Larry LeBlanc of Billboard magazine admitted it is challenging to throw a concert together so quickly, but was also quick to dismiss the roster as a "back to the future" lineup.

"It's woefully out of touch with what's going on in today's music in Canada," he said. "Where is Nickelback, where is Feist, where is Death From Above 1979, where is Arcade Fire?"

But Cohl dismissed such talk, pointing out that younger acts like Simple Plan and Our Lady Peace are also on the bill. And on Wednesday, breakout Australian band Jet was added to the Barrie fest.

"My job is to put together the best cross-section of talent that will draw the best audience both in terms of live, and in terms of the television audience, so that more people will get the message," he said, referring to CTV's plans to televise the all-day event including feeds from around the world.

Cohl said he talked to between 50 and 60 acts about performing.

"We definitely were going for .. a combination of the most prestigious, the most popular here in Canada, the most popular internationally and ... the best performers."

Live 8 tickets are free and will be available online beginning Thursday at 10 a.m.

"I will be absolutely shocked if there isn't overwhelming demand," said Cohl, adding that there will be various sites where those who win tickets can pick them up.

The other Live 8 shows will be held in Paris, Berlin, Rome, Tokyo and Johannesburg.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

This is proving to be a worthy but dull affair so far. No sign of EC so far, so he probably wont be on. Robbie Williams misbehaved a bit just now doing a live interview on the BBC, looking forward to seeing Pink Floyd.

All the concerts are live on the web here, Bruce Cockburn's playing a blinder in Toronto at the moment, Waiting For A Miracle, indeed.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Paul McCartney backed by U2 doing "Sgt. Pepper" was fun
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Not long ago they showed 'highlights' from around the world. This included Bon Jovi and Bryan Adams. Wow eh? Now putting up with Maradonna, she's lot a bit of weight since her footballing days. Have they shown any of the Bjork set in japan yet, that's what I'm watching for. And kaiser Chiefs. They also showed Duranx2 from somewhere, fuck me it was terrible. Razorlight were quite good.
signed with love and vicious kisses
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Pink Floyd were fascinating to watch, Gilmour and Waters heads down and avoided eye-contact completely. It added a real tension to their set which was excellent. Other than them, it was fun to watch, though pretty forgettable. I've set the video to tape the US portion, I hope they show some of Neil Youngs set from Toronto.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

This link is good if you want to avoid the adverts on MTV etc cutting onto the music, like when they put some on during the coda of Won't Get Fooled Again by "The Who".
http://music.aol.com/live_8_concert/live_now
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Hmmm....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 12,00.html

July 02, 2005

An open letter to the G8 leaders

Tony Blair - UK
George W. Bush - US
Silvio Berlusconi - Italy
Jacques Chirac - France
Junichiro Koizumi - Japan
Paul Martin - Canada
Vladimir Putin - Russia
Gerhard Schroder - Germany

Hi guys.

Just so we’re clear . . .

The Live 8 concerts that are happening this weekend will be a wonderful musical occasion. But despite the fact that the world’s greatest popular musicians are playing — they are not the stars of the show. The 8 of Live 8 are not 8 musicians or bands — they are you, the 8 leaders of the G8.

Let this be absolutely clear before the first note is played. Everyone taking part in these concerts is there because the many generations watching will not tolerate the further pain of the poor while we have the financial and moral means to prevent it.

We are gathering for you the largest mandate for action in history. Just as people demanded an end to slavery, demanded women’s suffrage, demanded the end of apartheid — we now call for an end to the unjust absurdity of extreme poverty that is killing 50,000 people every day, in the 21st century, Live 8 is taking place so that you, our elected leaders, right now, in 2005, make the breakthrough demanded by, amongst others, the Commission for Africa, in the battle towards making poverty history. You know what needs to be done, specifically:

On Aid: Deliver an extra $25 billion aid for Africa and make plans to ensure this aid really will be effective at eradicating poverty. This must stand beside a further $25 billion for the other poorest countries of the world. This is the absolute minimum required to begin to win the battle against extreme poverty.

On Debt: Confirm the 100% debt cancellation from the G8 finance ministers meeting and commit to 100% debt cancellation for ALL the countries that need it and remove damaging economic policies that are imposed as a condition.

On Trade: Make decisive steps to end the unjust rules of trade, and allow poor countries to build their own economies, at their own pace. It is only through trade that Africa will eventually beat poverty on its own.

Let it be equally clear — That at the same time, African governments must be free from corruption and thuggery and put in place recognised practices of good governance, accountability and transparency towards their own people and to the world.

Twenty years ago at Live Aid we asked for charity. Today at Live 8 we want justice for the poor. The G8 meeting next week can take the first real step towards eradicating the extremes of poverty once and for all.

We will not applaud half-measures, or politics as usual. This must be a historic breakthrough.

Today there will be noise and music and joy, the joy of exuberant possibility. On Friday there will be a great silence as the world awaits your verdict.

Do not disappoint us. Do not create a generation of cynics. Do not betray the desires of billions and the hopes of the poorest of our world.

Are those 50,000 people each day to be allowed to live, or not?

Everyone at Live 8.
Otis Westinghouse

Good on them. Especially for making this not a 'charidee' re-run but more overtly political. I watched nearly all the UK (unlike last time, on my 21st birthday), apart from flipping over a lot to watch Venus's brilliant comeback against a hurting Davenport. Macca said he'd never played Sgt Pepper live. I could have sworn I've seen him do it on his solo tour on TV, but I guess not. It was fun, but U2 alone were fantastic. Beautiful Day, Vertigo and One were a perfect trio. I'm not a massive fan, I mainly like their recent stuff, but I do think they're at the top of their game live now, as witnessed on some 'U2 Uncovered' backstage at Manchester thing the other night, with Cat Deeley fawning all over it, and, to save matters, a quite fantastic stripped down reading of With Or Without You, miles better than the record. Coldplay then showed how they could never in a fit match them. I got very excited when Chris M announced Richard Ashcroft was coming on to do one of the best songs ever, cos I thought it meant the immortal Drugs Don't Work, which might have been an ineresting and somewhat ironic title for the day, but it was boring old Bittersweet Symphony. Good lift, boring song. Robbie, tedious though he is, was perfect for the event, incredible control of such a huge audience. Killers should have had more than one song. Who sounded old. Floyd was an amazing spectacle, 24 years since last seen. Waters voice was dire. I'm sure I heard him sound much better on a recent solo gig. Wish You Were Here is fantastic, to the point where Comfortably Numb was a bit of an anticlimax, but a good title for the day. Waters looked very happy to be there. Not sure about the body language comment, Martin. Isn't that just Gilmour's natural demeanour? They seemed pretty pally hugging at the end. Relief that they didn't drag out Do They Know... to finish. US had an amazing number of people present. Most of the acts seem boring. Kaiser Chiefs did us proud! Saw half a second of Bjork closing in Japan. and the same of Duran, who nearly made me vomit. Le Bon is the walking epitome of the bloated slob who makes the whole thing look perilously like an industry jolly and nothing to do with politics. Stipe's make-up was good. Wanna see Neil Young.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Otis - see The Cure in Paris? I'll be taping a telecast tonight.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Good on them. Especially for making this not a 'charidee' re-run but more overtly political. I watched nearly all the UK (unlike last time, on my 21st birthday), apart from flipping over a lot to watch Venus's brilliant comeback against a hurting Davenport. Macca said he'd never played Sgt Pepper live. I could have sworn I've seen him do it on his solo tour on TV, but I guess not. It was fun, but U2 alone were fantastic. Beautiful Day, Vertigo and One were a perfect trio. I'm not a massive fan, I mainly like their recent stuff, but I do think they're at the top of their game live now, as witnessed on some 'U2 Uncovered' backstage at Manchester thing the other night, with Cat Deeley fawning all over it, and, to save matters, a quite fantastic stripped down reading of With Or Without You, miles better than the record. Coldplay then showed how they could never in a fit match them. I got very excited when Chris M announced Richard Ashcroft was coming on to do one of the best songs ever, cos I thought it meant the immortal Drugs Don't Work, which might have been an ineresting and somewhat ironic title for the day, but it was boring old Bittersweet Symphony. Good lift, boring song. Robbie, tedious though he is, was perfect for the event, incredible control of such a huge audience. Killers should have had more than one song. Who sounded old. Floyd was an amazing spectacle, 24 years since last seen. Waters voice was dire. I'm sure I heard him sound much better on a recent solo gig. Wish You Were Here is fantastic, to the point where Comfortably Numb was a bit of an anticlimax, but a good title for the day. Waters looked very happy to be there. Not sure about the body language comment, Martin. Isn't that just Gilmour's natural demeanour? They seemed pretty pally hugging at the end. Relief that they didn't drag out Do They Know... to finish. US had an amazing number of people present. Most of the acts seem boring. Kaiser Chiefs did us proud! Saw half a second of Bjork closing in Japan. and the same of Duran, who nearly made me vomit. Le Bon is the walking epitome of the bloated slob who makes the whole thing look perilously like an industry jolly and nothing to do with politics. Stipe's make-up was good. Wanna see Neil Young.
Didn't see a moment of it. Got drunk on 5-6 bottles of wine with my good friend Tom, the Pompey fan, my wife and his girlfriend. The kids goofing off. Perfect weather, lying on the grass in the back yard. Filet mignon medium rare from the grill for dinner. July 4 on the horizon. How can you fucking top that?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Thoroughly enjoyable day - and the rain kept off for everyone which was great. Watched the whole day with a few glasses of wine and a chinese takeaway. Nice to see some of the oldies too - really enjoyed The Who and UB40. Good to see so many people united in a good cause again - await the results eagerly.
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Did anybody else laugh when they saw Gordon Lightfoot singing along to "Rockin' In The Free World"?