Elvis on Johnny Vegas chat show, June 24 '05

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis on Johnny Vegas chat show, June 24 '05

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features ... ?gusrc=rss

( extract)

Johnny Vegas wants to tell you about his new Channel 4 programme, 18 Stone of Idiot, which starts at 10pm on 27 May and continues every Friday night for six weeks. But he's such a blather that if we let him, we'll be here all day. It's hard to sum up: 18 Stone is a chat show, with both high-kicking and violent variety elements; there are men dressed as comedy animals, a section where Johnny turns a viewer's (strange) fantasy into reality and a dramatic Evel Knievel finale where he attempts to jump over his celebrity guest on a Chopper bike, or a shopping trolley. 'We tried,' says Johnny, 34, 'to make the whole show so ridiculous that there was no way they'd recommission it.

But Channel 4 love the results, and, from what Johnny says, I think we will, too. For a start, his guests are great: Ray Winstone, Kathy Burke, Hughie from the Fun Lovin' Criminals, Elvis Costello, David Soul, Rhys Ifans - one a week, and they stay for the whole show. Rhys Ifans turned up drunk, so Johnny joined in - 'I'm not being out-boozed'; Hughie was his usual stoner self, his heavy smoking resulting in one regular character, Bad Budgie, being rendered unable to move. ('That budgie,' remarked one of the crew, 'is fucked.') Other well-known faces turn up: in one episode, Neil Hamilton is put in a glass box and pelted with fish. Can't wait. And I especially like the sound of Celebrity Lock-In: a real lock-in, in a real pub (the Good Mixer in Camden), with real celebrities (the Krankies!). It lasted eight hours, but has been cut down to three minutes per show. 'There's singing, and arguments,' says Johnny.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

see also -

http://www.in4mer.com/schedules_c4.asp?xDate=27-05-2005

and

http://www.in4mer.com/programming_c4.as ... =fCategory

18 Stone Of Idiot is an entertainment show which invites viewers into the bizarre but comical world of Johnny Vegas. It’s a studio show full of games, celebrity guests, stand-up comedy and VT strands. Each week in ‘TV Democracy’ Johnny turns the viewers’ wildest fantasies into televisual reality and in ‘My Favourite Things’ we find out what really turns him on - from pottery to Star Wars conventions. Every show ends with Johnny attempting to pull off a nail-biting stunt with the help of his celebrity guest.
Last edited by johnfoyle on Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050612/344/fky06.html

Sunday June 12, 09:02 AM

Vegas welcomes ex-EastEnders trader
Former EastEnder Peter Dean is set to appear on Johnny Vegas: 18 Stone of Idiot on June 24.

The actor played market trader Pete Beale, husband of Kathy - who went on to marry Phil Mitchell before fleeing to South Africa - and father of Ian between 1985 and 1993.

He will be hosting a tribute to cockney cuisine on the funnyman's programme.

Joining Pete on the comedian's Channel 4 show will be singer Elvis Costello, who will be taking part in a bizarre stunt involving a pram.

Pete, who also starred in Coronation Street, came to a sticky end in the Walford-based soap.

The gangster ex-husband of his girlfriend Rose set up a car crash which killed him, leaving screen twin Pauline Fowler devastated.
John

Post by John »

This sounds dreadful.
Is this all the publicity he can manager in the UK now?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I really like Johnny Vegas but this show is car crash TV. It's dreadful.

I can't imagine why Elvis is appearing on it.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv_and_radio/ ... 18,00.html
Johnny Vegas: 18 Stone of Idiot
11.05pm, Channel 4

A "happy-go-lucky, wind-powered" Elvis Costello guests as the comedy series continues. It's all monstrously loud and silly, but Vegas performs with such gusto that you have to be positively cynical not to get carried along. Great line in questioning too. JV to EC: "I see this show as a means of earning enough money to get into property development - what is it with you that you just keep going?"
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

Does anybody know if this show is available in Canada? If so, what time would it air (in local)?
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
John

Post by John »

Why, Elvis, why ?
That was dreadful television.
At least at the end when they handed him a microphone he didn't join in the Jim'll Fix It song.
Does anyone find Johnny Vegas funny? He's just very crude.

Elvis tried his best to join in the spirit and made a few serious points near the beginning of the show but it was all downhill after that.
He answererd a question about why he refused £1m from Nike for them to use Pump It Up saying something like "people had already paid to listen it".

Elvis sat in a bumper car acting as a judge in a talent show contest featuring a girl singing Somewhere Over The Rainbow, another dancing to Riverdance and a boy juggling gives you a flavour of the show.

I'm turning to the whiskey bottle to recover.

By the way, does anyone remember Elvis singing From A Whisper To A Scream on Jim'll Fix It many years ago?
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

thomasso wrote:Does anybody know if this show is available in Canada? If so, what time would it air (in local)?
Pray it isn't, though I'm sure a dvd will circulate in bootleg circles soon enough. That embarassing clip of a drunk Elvis doing I Cant Stand Up on TOTP has now been superceded by this truly awful appearance. At least Elvis has the dignity to look embarassed now and again. There are too many awful images to list. His first appearance has him being paraded in front of a sign describing him as '21 Stone Of Smart Arse'. Later on he has to read out a line about a guy parting a girls curtains. I'm really not up to watching the video of it, seeing the actual telecasting was more than enough. Maybe it's some of this New Comedy that I dont get.
lawngnome

Post by lawngnome »

Well I for one would like to see it. After all, it cant be much worse than the American tv I'm used to...
charliestumpy

'Johnny'll fix it' ...

Post by charliestumpy »

It was very wise of Mr Costello to sit etc arching away from Mr Vegas's smoke/beer fumes early on in show.

At end, it does look to me as if Mr Costello really did sing along in credits-melee 'Johnny'll fix it'.

This arguably missable Ch 4 TV show made a nice contrast to fine earlier BBC4 TV Pilton half-hour probably.

I would have preferred 'Vegas' show if Elvis had performed Bertha-Rain-Green green grass...-Mas y mas-Hora decubitis.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

The show is available on torrent site UKNova.com, but you'll need to register:
http://www.uknova.com/details.php?id=12251
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
verbal gymnastics

John wrote:Why, Elvis, why ?
That was dreadful television.
It lived down to my expectations.
John wrote:Does anyone find Johnny Vegas funny? He's just very crude.
I like him funnily enough. But this was just awful.
John wrote:By the way, does anyone remember Elvis singing From A Whisper To A Scream on Jim'll Fix It many years ago?
I remember watching it! As I remember a little boy wanted to be a roadie for a day and for some inexplicable reason the lad went out on the road with Elvis!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Be afraid - it's out there!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=59081

Johnny Vegas : 18 Stone of Idiot | 02-11-2005 00:00

(extract)

Rather than opt for a collection of all six episodes of its first series, this 18 Stone of Idiot disc instead offers up a 78-minute compendium of highlights and previously unseen footage. Some would no doubt say thankfully so as the show was a sprung from a wilful idea, Essentially, Vegas and his cohorts wished to make a series which would never be re-commissioned. Oddly enough a second run is on its way fairly soon, yet such a target – though perhaps demonstrating a certain bravura quality – has produced much which is simply unwatchable.

In this respect you have to take what you can from it. Sometimes 18 Stone of Idiot can be oddly fascinating such is its edginess. The goading of the audience and their clear discomfort is strangely compelling, as is the sight of Elvis Costello almost hiding in his chair as Vegas heads off on another drunken ramble. Elsewhere we also see the host pissing himself in front of Huey from the Fun Lovin’ Criminals (the commentary reveals this to be fake, though no-one else in front of the camera is in on the joke) and on another occasion getting punched full in the face. Yet ultimately it’s all too one-note to really warrant its existence. The drunkenness takes control making this a show which is prone to sentimentality, prone to aggression and using any excuse it can lay its hands on to justify its inherent shittiness.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 97-7256403

Johnny Vegas - 18 Stone Of Idiot - Unseen And Uncut
Release Date: October 31, 2005
verbal gymnastics

Christmas is coming folks. Hmm, must put this on my wish list :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.quickstopentertainment.com/?p=2916

If Bacchus were to ever step off Olympus and become a British comedian, his name would be Johnny Vegas. More a force of nature than a man, he’s an incredibly funny, shambolic, bombastic onscreen presence whose seemingly inebriated manner hide a sharp mind and a quick wit. Many critics dismissed his Channel 4 show, 18 Stone of Idiot (Channel 4, Not Rated, DVD-£19.99), as a raucous, lowbrow mess. Personally, I think it’s a very funny show that has a rhythm and vibrancy outside the norm, and its seeming maelstrom is an elaborate construct. The DVD condenses the short-lived series into 90 minutes of highlights, with bonus features including an audio commentary and outtakes. Any show that has the moxy to ask Elvis Costello if he felt like an idiot for refusing to sell one of his songs for millions of dollars to be used in an advert when he had just performed it live on the show for free is a show that needs to be rediscovered on DVD.
verbal gymnastics

I didn't want it on my wish list last year. I don't want it again this year. :)
Mikeh

Re: Elvis on Johnny Vegas chat show, June 24

Post by Mikeh »

The DVD of this series has appeared in our local Poundland. Anyone want me to pick one up for them? File under completists and John Foyle only.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis on Johnny Vegas chat show, June 24 '05

Post by johnfoyle »

The appearance on that Norwegian comedy show reminded me of this other bizarre appearance .

80 minutes of highlights are on youtube. A quick look through it shows Elvis at about 23 minutes. It's 'heavy' Elvis - shocking looking really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mme2ntl4IU

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Callie Strummer posted on f/book-

What a bizarre show! Later at about 1:15:33-1:16:49 it looks like the host is jumping over EC (and others) in a shopping cart. Poor Elvis.

verbal gymnastics

I watched this when it was originally on and it was excruciating - I can't bear to watch it again.