Torrent upload help/requests?

Post offers for legally distributable EC music, memorabilia, tickets, etc.
Turquoise Pajamas

Torrent upload help/requests?

Post by Turquoise Pajamas »

Hello everyone,

I'm a long time fan from the Boston area. Addtionally, I'm a long-term reader of this site, but I'm just getting around to posting. What I'd like to do is start uploading some EC shows to DIME. However, I'm a .torrent rookie and need a little help in figuring out the process of uploading. I'm familiar with how to convert .wav to .flac, which I'm pretty sure is the integral part of the process (correct me if I'm wrong). Anyway, if someone could either explain or lead me to an explanation of what to do, I'd be happy to post some shows to the site.

Next, I have a pretty substantial collection of shows. So, if anyone has some shows that they'd like to get a hold of, let me know and I'll do my best to oblige. So fire away and I'll do my best!

Thanks!
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

I'm quite sure there are good instructions on dimeadozen.org, but in short:

* Make sure you read the rules of the website first though so you don't upload anything copyrighted or something like that.
* Put all the contents of a show you'd like to upload in a folder.
* Get a program that can create torrent files (Azureus has an option for creating torrents, maybe other torrent clients do aswell, not sure).
* Enter the adress/announce URL of the tracker where the program asks for it (that url is usually shown when you choose to upload a torrent on most torrent-websites).
* Select the file/folder you want to make a torrent out of and wait for it to finish making the torrent. (Note: There are several options that you can change, but I usually don't touch anything unless there are some very specific rules on the website)
* Upload the file to the torrent website and there you go!

I'm interested in great-sound-quality-shows from the Armed Forces Tour to The Imperial Bedroom Tour. I have a few already (like the excellent Hope & Anchor bootleg with Martin Belmont). Also if you have anything from around 86-87, either with the Attractions or The Confederates. I have This Is Tomorrow already. Excellent show!
Turquoise Pajamas

Thanks Chrille for the tips. The process seems to make sense to me at this point. I will give it a whirl hopefully in the next 24 hours. I'm thinking I'll do the 10/16/86 Boston show with Attractions. If that goes well, then I'll roll out the other two Boston shows that followed the next couple of nights. Yes, I tend to favor local shows :) But I'll be kind to my fellow EC fans in other parts of the U.S. and the world with future torrents :wink:
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Turquoise Pajamas wrote:I'm thinking I'll do the 10/16/86 Boston show with Attractions.
Dont have this show, so I'm looking forward to hearing it. How good is it?
Turquoise Pajamas

Well, I've put the show on DIME; however, I can't seem to be able to figure out how to seed the show. It shows me as a leecher - and the show itself is showing as a dead torrent. I've tried using Morpheus and BitTornado to no avail. Morpheus just tells me I'm "connecting" indefinitely, while BitTornado says "connecting to peers." Anyway, I haven't the slightest idea what I'm screwing up, but clearly I am messing up something. Any more helpers out there??!!?? :D

P.S. Martin, the show is of fairly decent quality. I would say it is comparable to the NYC shows from Oct. of '86 if you're familiar with those. The sound quality is neither stunningly good nor horrifyingly bad.
charliestumpy

WAV-FLAC whatever ...

Post by charliestumpy »

This might upset some people, (and I am one who has forked out huge wads of the readies for best possible recordings/replay) but sometimes many 'live' shows might just as well be kindly/quickly/cheaply/efficiently shared at no more than e.g. 224 kps good Fraunhofer/whatever encoded compressed format.
Turquoise Pajamas

Hey Charlie,

I'm pretty sure what you were saying is that too much is made out of sharing uncompressed music files. If that's the case, I agree. Either I have a poor ear or there is not a discernible difference to the average listener between .wav, .flac, etc and the "lossy" formats. However, the pack demands the "non-lossy" formats and won't take anything else. I imagine that some people who are not otherwise fans of EC download some of his live shows that pop up on places like DIME. This might translate into some record and concert ticket sales that might not have otherwise occurred for "the man." So I comply, despite the hassle.

BTW, I uploaded the entire show to DIME after all my pleading for help. I'm grateful to those who assisted. Also, I was quite pleased with the success I thought I had. Now it looks like people are stuck at a point about 90% into the download. Grrrr.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Turquoise Pajamas wrote: BTW, I uploaded the entire show to DIME after all my pleading for help. I'm grateful to those who assisted. Also, I was quite pleased with the success I thought I had. Now it looks like people are stuck at a point about 90% into the download. Grrrr.
It's working fine now, 10 seeders at the moment, I hope to grab it overnight.