I dream of Elvis

Pretty self-explanatory
Otis Westinghouse

I dream of Elvis

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

We've had some dream threads in the past, but it's been a while. I had two incredibly vivid Elvis dreams the other monring, while oversleeping before work. The first involved visiting EC's marital home set in LA. It was rather like the club scenes in The Aviator or a Cecil B. De Mille film set - completely huge and ornate, activity in every part of it. There was a bar in the middle, and I and my friend were thinking 'free beer!' when it was made clear to us that Diana expected our company at a separate bar (there were bars all over, all very decadent). She looked totally ordinary, brown-haired, no make-up, sweatshirt and jeans. Her personal chef was preparing all sorts of amazing dishes for us to sample. She seemed a bit bored by our company. Elvis appeared briefly, but quickly left us to it. I wanted to ask her if she'd enjoyed the Cornbury show, and that a friend was standing next to her at it (this much was true), but was too shy. Then we segued to a very Southern English seaside town that they forgot to pull down. I was searching desperately for a theatre that had an Elvis show on that night. It took a while, but eventually I found a place that was like a normal cinema. Sure enough, Elvis was due to play that night. the ticket seller wasn't sure if Emmylou was going to join him, and there was also an implication it might just be him + Steve. Damien Rice was billed to perform the next night. I was just about to see the show when ... I woke up. Sigh.

Other people's dreams are, of course boring. They show language at its weakest as it is so inadequate at conveying the multi-layered complexity of dreams. I just wish you could all have been there.

Anyone else been dreaming of Elvis recently?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

not any of Elvis lately, (but I treasure the one I did have), only one of Nick Lowe that left me feeling old and useless.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

mood swung wrote:...only one of Nick Lowe that left me feeling old and useless.
But MDM you *are*...

...nothing of the sort :wink:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

Diana was nothing like Diana, but Elvis, in a certain light, looked sooo Elvis. I was thinking of what I might say, but the task was beyond me. Probably as would happen in real life. Are any dreams more satisfying than the super-intense ones you have when you've woken and fallen back asleep, and your conscious brain is somehow struggling to asset itself, but the subconscious says 'have some of this to keep you pinned to the mattress'.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

My Elvis dreams feature him with an attitude of I-know-what's-good-for-me that I can understand. He's usually in a hurry to do something, and I was lucky to get a lift in his car a couple of times. His driving skills would concern any witness.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

your conscious brain is somehow struggling to assert itself, but the subconscious says 'have some of this to keep you pinned to the mattress'.

I always thought it was the other way around! I fight to stay in the dream, to see it resolved - all that intensity must be for something!

p.s. thanks, VG. :) we old mothers need all the ego stroking we can get, even if we have to fish for it.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

My little sister calls those dreams 'getting hit by a truck,' and I know what she means-- the feeling that you're flattened to the mattress as if by suction. And when you start to wake up from them, the dream seems more real than reality and makes you question which is which.

In advance of the end of two major long-term relationships, I have had intense, recurring dreams in which I don't know who the man in my life is-- I go back and forth between thinking it's one old boyfriend or another, or a guy I had a crush on, or someone else, and in the dream I am thinking "Wait-- WHO am I with [married to] again??" NOT a good sign, apparently... :shock: 8)
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

I dug this thread up because for the first time last night I dreamt of Elvis. And what a weird and vivid dream it was.

I was in school - walking through what seemed like hallways of a high school - and apparently one of my classes was being taught by EC. While I thought it was really cool, I didn't seem to think all that much of it - like it was a fairly normal thing. I do remember thinking "I really should post about this on the Elvis forum....they would be so jealous!" But on the day of this dream I didn't have my EC course, but I was trying to see if I could find him in the building so I could introduce him to Blue (who apparently went to the same school). While walking down the hallway, I heard Elvis singing in one of the classrooms...so I peared in the window, and saw a person-sized cat singing Elvis songs (?!?!?) in a classroom chair. Next to him were a few other guys playing with him (who were human). No one really seemed all that interested, or seemed to make much note of the fact that they were playing with a large cat. So I walked in to listen, and quickly learned that this large cat was, in fact, Elvis Costello himself.

After they were done playing, I managed to convince him that he should come meet Blue. At this point he was a normal sized cat, and so I carried him home. I showed him around our apartment (which in retrospect seemed to be part our place, part Blue's parent's place, and part my childhood home). Then, when Blue got home, he didn't believe me when I told him this cat I'd brought home was Elvis (go figure), and I kept trying to convince Elvis-cat he should say something so Blue would know he wasn't just a cat. It took awhile, but eventually he started to speak again.

Once he fessed up, he ceased being a cat, and just became normal Elvis. So then Blue's dad came home (??) and we realized we had to take Elvis to catch a boat to go to Atlanta (??). Blue's dad apparently had to drive us there in a big van, but had to finish whatever he was working on first, so we sat around and played cards. Elvis was now a good buddy, and we gave him our phone # so he could keep in touch. We talked about his failing marriage (??), his good friend Macca (apparently he and Heather are a very cute couple), and he recommended a few songs we should download. When we took him to his boat, he hugged us goodbye and seemed very sad to be leaving. We told him whenever he was back in Toronto to look us up and we would show him around.

Then I woke up.

I can't remember the last time I've remembered that many details from a dream. And wow, what a dream. :shock:
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

selfmademug wrote:In advance of the end of two major long-term relationships, I have had intense, recurring dreams in which I don't know who the man in my life is-- I go back and forth between thinking it's one old boyfriend or another, or a guy I had a crush on, or someone else, and in the dream I am thinking "Wait-- WHO am I with [married to] again??" NOT a good sign, apparently... :shock: 8)
When I was in a long-distance relationship, I used to dream that I had two boyfriends. They were the same guy, but one lived far away and the other lived with me. And this was way before I dated someone with an identical twin...

Oh yeah, and the other night I dreamt I chatted with Steve Nieve for 45 minutes. I told him, "I know some people who are going to be very jealous of me..."
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Red - were you listening to Spike before you went to bed?

Pads, Paws and Claws, Last Boat Leaving...?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

I haven't listened to much Elvis lately, actually. Spike was probably the last one I listened to....late last week in my car....but yeesh.
verena

Post by verena »

Whatever Red, you could write a story with your dream, a fantastic tale in the earlier sense. Something like " Alice in Wonderschool and the Cat of Chester"...

You could have the cat teach things to Alice all through the book or only a chapter.
Otis Westinghouse

Lovely account, Red. Keep ingesting/imbibing/inhaling whatever took you there! It reminds me of the time I was driving Johnny Cash around in a car in a road that was part on my home island of Jersey and part in Italy. he was a bit scared by the speed and waywardness of my driving, but we got along just fine. Do you feel clodser to Elvis now?
RinghioStarr

Post by RinghioStarr »

Tonight I dreamt I was attending an Elvis gig.

He was singing "I am a woman in love".
Otis Westinghouse

Great image!

I didn't dream of Elvis or Johnny last night, but I dreamt that a very ordinary suburban fortysomething housewife type was burgling my house, and I was trying to stop her with my arms around her, weakly trying to find my non-existent voice and call out my wife's name for help, and clearly I was calling it out loud as said wife woke, entirely unsympathetic to my plight ('but I'm having a nightmare!') and none too happy to have had her sleep disturbed.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Okay, so last night I had a dream that I was at some high-priced but mediocre restaurant with my Mother and my older sister (I won't tell you what that implies about the tone of the dream) and after we finished eating who should come on as a cabaret act but Our Man. I was , of course, stunned, and thought "Wow, can't wait to tell my board pals about this!". Hee.

Anyway, he sang Worthless Thing (I was listening to GCW yesterday) and I sang along. (Do you have actual music in your dreams? I do.) Then after that song, my sister embarassed me by shouting out, "Elvis! Sing 'Violin'!" Now that is a particularly nonsensical song off the They Might Be Giants record for kids, 'NO!' and I shook my head in dismay and mortification. But of course Elvis just burst into it:

Violin-lin-lin
Violin-lin-lin
Violin-lin-lin
Ohhh
Violin-lin-lin
Violin-lin-lin
Violin-lin-lin
Ohhhh
Hippo
Hippo
Hippo
Hippo
Hippo
Hippo
Hippo
Mop
Mop
Mop mop
Mop mop
Mop mop mop
Mop mop mop mop
Mop
Speck of dust, dust, dust
Ohhh
Ohhh
One quarter of George Washington's head
Half of George Washington's head
Three quarters of George Washington's head
All of George Washington's head
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooeeeeeeeeaaaaahhhhhhhhhoooooooo
Violin-lin-lin
Violin-lin-lin
Violin-lin-lin
Ohhh
Violin-lin-lin
Violin-lin-lin
Violin-lin-lin
Ohhh

It was great. I think he might want to add it to his repertoire.
Otis Westinghouse

Next time he plays Boston, I'd say.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

My college roommate used to regularly have dreams that included music. One time he dreamt some sort of Broadway musical number that started:

I'm in love with Henderson...
(She's in love with Henderson)
People on the street stop and ask me why...

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) he never got any further than that.

I rarely get music in my dreams. Hell, I rarely remember my dreams.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
AlmostBlue

Post by AlmostBlue »

I dreamt last night about a man standing in a flaming pie and said I should change my name to Elvis with an A
verena

Post by verena »

Hell no ! It's enough that 2 people put almost a fate on you with a given name. If you must change yours, let it be your own decision, man. :wink:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://mcconville.livejournal.com/140985.html

mcconville ([info]mcconville) wrote,
@ 2006-09-13 18:12:00

amazing dream

Ok, so I took a nap which I don't normally like doing. I had an amazing dream. Elvis Costello and the Attractions were touring. They were playing intimate small venues, because their show involved some Cirque Du Soleil type acrobatics- Being suspended from bouncy wires and the like. Also, Elvis had written this beautiful song as an ad for Dairy Queen and a new resurgence of the banana split. The song was about his up and down life. The song ended with "my every wish is to banana loop-de-loop into a scoop of ice cream in a parfait dish". Pretty amazing. I was mad that he had sold out, but I was also quite thrilled with the song, as if he had written it and Dairy Queen had heard it and bought it after it had been born. Maybe that was the case.

Either way, I should take naps more often.
Otis Westinghouse

Not to mention the drugs.