Elvis solo, Amsterdam (Holl.), November 10, 2011

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis solo, Amsterdam (Holl.), November 10, 2011

Post by sweetest punch »

She / WTD / Oliver's Army / I Want You (all partial): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZJscEA4FZY
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

video of "I Turn Around" now on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG7D4Sev3Rs

Dave
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

thanks Dave...that was GREAT!!! i'm ready for the "with Larkin Poe" mini-tour. or maybe 2012 Revolver will return to true 1986 "COSTELLO SINGS AGAIN" format: one night solo & Poe, one night SPINNING SONGBOOK. with this fine little quartet, i'm sure i'd add LOADS of new songs to my "seen live" list. :D :D
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

At last, my recording of this now up on dime :
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... =1&reqdl=1
Hopefully Belfast and Antwerp to follow around Christmas/New Year
PS spot the mention BA gets on the Amsterdam show !! :lol:
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

People confuse you with Santa Claus - it's the big white beard I suppose...

Huge thanks for this

Colin Top Balcony
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sulky lad wrote:At last, my recording of this now up on dime :
not fair SULKY! you know i'm so archaic that i do NOT torrent. how long should i have to wait to get this "inside" joke? what...does EC say how he prefers my analog boots to the digital ones??? :roll: MERRY CHRISTMAS my friend...why not put a sample or two up so i can hear the sound before doc rips me one? cheers man!!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

sulky lad wrote:At last, my recording of this now up on dime :
Thanks sulky. Very nice.

I assume that the use of the title "National Ransom No. 5" is the ba reference?
supplydavid

Post by supplydavid »

I am not very good with dime, anybody able to help me with a cd/mp3?

thank you

David
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Kind of related: Larkin Poe playing "Blame It On Caine": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1CRybfYjaU
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

sweetest punch wrote:Kind of related: Larkin Poe playing "Blame It On Caine": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1CRybfYjaU
This has now been out on Elvis' website.

Good to know Elvis' people are still looking on this site 8) :wink:

Let's hope we see the I Want You and Beyond Belief/Land of Give and Take versions put on there too.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Review in Dutch by Hans van der Maas in OOR magazine:

"ELVIS COSTELLO: CONSTANT BRILJANT

De affiche wekte nogal wat verwachtingen: Elvis Costello solo in de Rabozaal van de Melkweg. Slechts gewapend met een gitaar een grote zaal platspelen, het is maar weinigen gegeven. Onder hen: Elvis Costello. Want hij etaleerde twee uur lang een constant briljant niveau.

Op een aantal momenten trekt Costello, middenin een nummer, zijn mond weg bij de microfoon en zonder versterking gaat hij verder. Je moet maar durven, 100% zeker zijn van je kwaliteiten. De grote Rabozaal van de Melkweg houdt de adem in om geen noot te missen. Zijn natuurlijk charisma helpt een handje, maar het is toch de geweldige stem van Costello die het publiek tot absolute stilte maant. Een prestatie van formaat en hij voert het uit alsof hij in een woonkamer tussen de schuifdeuren voor vrienden en familie speelt. Inspanning leidt af, moet hij denken. Blind varen op wat hij kan en er meer dan overtuigend mee weg komen. Declan Patrick Aloysius McManus, beter bekend als Elvis Costello, is in topvorm. Alles klopt.

De gitaren zijn niet aan te slepen tijdens het concert, zijn roadie valt deze avond een kilootje of drie af. Maar het gaat om de details en dus bespeelt Costello op ieder nummer de enige juiste gitaar. Die loepzuivere akoestische bij She, of degene met de krassende geluiden voor het hartverscheurende I Want You. In combinatie met zijn stem, het ene moment met die prachtige, akelig zuivere vibrato aan het einde van een noot, dan weer met een stoppelbaard op de stembanden, tilt Costello het niet misselijke repertoire van de avond boven zichzelf uit. Niks verwachtingen, maar Waarmaken met een hoofdletter W. Elvis Costello, losse hoed op, de zwarte bril, zijn handelsmerk en goed in het pak. Nonchalant, ontspannen kletsend, slokje water en op naar het volgende nummer. Werken is leuk.

Dat levert een aantal breed bekende songs op. Zoals het eerdergenoemde She en I Want You, maar bijvoorbeeld ook Watching The Detectives, met halverweg een freaky gitaarsolo, (I Don’t Want To Go To) Chelsea, Everyday I Write A Book en ‘herinnert u zich deze nog’ Oliver’s Army. Gelukkig vergeet de sympathiek ogende Brit ook het bloedmooie Alison van zijn debuutalbum My Aim Is True niet aan een niet te versmaden solouitvoering te onderwerpen. In het hoogtepunt van de avond, we zijn bij de staart, kruipt Costello achter de piano en smijt met melancholica in Shipbuilding. In het midden en aan het eind van de set laat hij zich een paar nummers begeleiden door Larkin Poe, de band die eerder het voorprogramma verzorgde. Een geslaagde combinatie, met name door de kippenvellerige samenzang.

Wanneer Costello, 57 inmiddels, aankondigt op 5 juni 2012 terug te keren naar Nederland klinkt luid applaus. Misschien wel een primeur, omdat Google geen optreden verklapt op die datum. Vooralsnog betoverde de Brit van Ierse komaf de Rabozaal van de Melkweg met een constant briljant optreden. En dat lijkt mij voldoende om minimaal tot de late lente van 2012 op te teren. Het is 22:45 uur, een paar keer eerder lijkt het concert ten einde, maar pas na twee uur stopt Elvis Costello ermee. Hij zwaait en neemt als handbagage een staande ovatie van een uitverkochte Rabozaal mee. De meer dan terechte beloning voor een rasentertainer."

Or in "English" via Google Translate:

"ELVIS COSTELLO: CONSTANT BRILLIANT

The poster aroused a lot of expectations: Elvis Costello solo in the Rabo zaal of the Milky Way. Armed only with a guitar flat play a large hall, it is but few given. Among them: Elvis Costello. Because he displayed over two hours a consistently brilliant level.

At several moments Costello pulls his mouth away from the microphone in the middle of a song and without reinforcement he adds. You need some guts, be 100% sure of your abilities. The big Rabo zaal Galaxy holds its breath to miss a beat. His natural charisma lends a hand, but it is the great voice of Costello that reminds the public to absolute silence. A great achievement and he executes it as if he is playing in a living room between the doors for friends and family. Effort leads off, he thought. Blindly what he can and more than convincingly get away with it. Declan Patrick Aloysius McManus, better known as Elvis Costello, is in top form. All right.

The guitars are not dragging during the concert, his roadie falls this evening an ounce or three off. But it's the details and thus plays Costello each number is the only proper guitar. That flawless acoustic at She, or the one with the harsh sounds of the heartbreaking I Want You. Combined with his voice, one moment with these beautiful, ugly pure vibrato at the end of a note, then with stubble on the vocal cords, Costello lifts the sickening repertoire of the evening above themselves. Nothing expectations, but Deliver with a capital W. Elvis Costello, loose hat, black glasses, his trademark and good in the suit. Casual, relaxed chatting, sip water and on to the next song. Working is fun.

This provides a number of widely-known songs. As the aforementioned She and I Want You, but also Watching The Detectives, with half-way a freaky guitar solo (I Do not Want To Go To) Chelsea, Everyday I Write A Book and "you remember this one 'Oliver's Army. Fortunately forget the sympathetic look and also the stunning Brit Alison from his debut album My Aim Is True failing to submit to a not to be sneezed solo performance. The highlight of the evening, we are at the tail, Costello gets behind the piano and flings with melancholic in Shipbuilding. In the middle and at the end of the set he accepts supervision a few songs by Larkin Poe, the band previously the program catered for. A successful combination, particularly the chicken velle lush harmonies.

When Costello, now 57, announced he will return to the Netherlands on June 5, 2012 loud applause. Perhaps a first, because Google does not occur reveals that date. For now enchanted the Briton of Irish origin of the Milky Way Rabo zaal with a constantly brilliant performance. And that seems to me enough to live on at least until the late spring of 2012. It is 22:45, a few times before, it seems concert ended, but only after two hours of Elvis Costello quits. He waves and take as hand luggage a standing ovation from a sold Rabozaal. The more than just reward for an entertainer."

MOOT
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Thanks for bringing this thread back to the fore. If just reread the whole thing and it brought back a load of happy memories.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?