EC plays benefit show with The Who, New York, Feb. 28, 2013

Pretty self-explanatory
docinwestchester

Re: EC plays benefit show with The Who, New York, Feb. 28, 2

Post by docinwestchester »

A crisp, tight 44 minute set from Elvis and Imps. No banter, just straight up rock music. Nice venue with good acoustics but a god awful crowd full of drunk white guys who were there mainly to sing along with The Who. More on that later. Oh, and when Pete Townshend got on stage he started by saying that he "just woke up...was fast asleep all the way through Elvis Costello". Then he made a joke about being old and having to put in his teeth. A-hole! (wanker?)

intro - Rise Robot Rise
I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
High Fidelity
Mystery Dance
Radio, Radio
Everyday I Write The Book
Lipstick Vogue
Watching The Detectives
Alison - with The Wind Cries Mary/Over The Rainbow snippets
(I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea - with band intros
Pump It Up - with Ain't That A Lot Of Love snippet
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
Substitute

I have a good audio recording and some video, all screen shot. Here's a sample:

Audio upload and lots more video to come...
Last edited by docinwestchester on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

docinwestchester wrote:I have a good audio recording and some video, all screen shot. Here's a sample:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7-RPb784Hw
Excellent video. Kudos.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Imposters 45 minutes SLAMMED The Who's 65! way cool touch ending his set with SUBSTITUTE. wonder if he had asked.
chickendinna

Post by chickendinna »

Nice job Doc, thanks. I'll be patiently waiting to see both uploads on Dime!
toddamo

Post by toddamo »

Question -- How often does he do these sort of 'retro' sets?

I've seen him many times and have never seen him play a set of all early Attractions.

And Steve on the electric piano -- and everything was 1-2-3-4! Wow! Electric!

It felt like 1980! Really high energy. Really exciting!

The Who were in great form and particularly Roger Daltrey (who can be hit or miss).
I haven't heard his voice sound that good in years. Zak Starkey is a beast on drums!

And what? It was for charity? Win, win, win, win....
http://toddamodeo.bandcamp.com
Press here for free music, love, stuff.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down > High Fidelity

_
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down > High Fidelity

Jeeez.....that angle really shows the spit 'm sweat flying! You can also hear the yacking of the crowd - grrrrr!
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Alison / (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea

_
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Good ol' Doc, God bless you for the recordings - but BA where is the analogue source ??! :roll:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

analog sounds great. doc will upload it next week. his contract with me specifically states analog must be uploaded seven days after digital. :lol: :lol: :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Truly thrilling take on Lipstick Vogue brilliantly conveyed by that multi angle video - thanks!
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Thanks very much, doc! I love a well done screen shot video. Too bad they made you stop before Substitute.

Dave
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

'So good movie. Is it Vyclone?' asked Muriel Teodori (Steve Nieve's partner) when she saw , via my Facebook page, the 'Vogue clip. I referred her to this thread. Maybe we'll get some imput from Steve!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

FAVEHOUR wrote:Thanks very much, doc! I love a well done screen shot video. Too bad they made you stop before Substitute.

Dave
funny you should say that favedave. on the way home after the show, i was telling doc how when i am at a show with video screens...MAYBE i watch the screen for about 2% of the night. my eyes are ALWAYS glued to the stage. otherwise, i feel i'm paying to watch television. :lol: :lol: :lol:
docinwestchester

FAVEHOUR wrote:Thanks very much, doc! I love a well done screen shot video. Too bad they made you stop before Substitute.

Dave
Yeah, I was bummed because I had finally figured out the perfect angle to keep the screen centered. A complete show would have been nice, but c'est la vie. I'll be uploading what video I've got on Dime soon. I haven't even looked at my Who footage yet, but it won't be as good because I was sitting next to a complete a-hole who would not shut up and when I finally said something he went crazy on me!

Also, our old buddy twilson3 (filmed the EC Wolf Trap show on 15 June 2011) has a complete audience recording and will use some of my footage for what should be a very good DVD on Dime.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

docinwestchester wrote: Oh, and when Pete Townshend got on stage he started by saying that he "just woke up...was fast asleep all the way through Elvis Costello". Then he made a joke about being old and having to put in his teeth. A-hole! (wanker?)
Just watched the clip on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SdVKlvENAo

More than a little disrespectful to the crowd, let alone to Elvis. I would be thinking, "Cheers Pete, I've paid $200 dollars or so to see you. I'm really glad you bothered to wake up in time for the show and put your teeth in :roll:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

The imposter wrote:
docinwestchester wrote: Oh, and when Pete Townshend got on stage he started by saying that he "just woke up...was fast asleep all the way through Elvis Costello". Then he made a joke about being old and having to put in his teeth. A-hole! (wanker?)
Just watched the clip on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SdVKlvENAo

More than a little disrespectful to the crowd, let alone to Elvis. I would be thinking, "Cheers Pete, I've paid $200 dollars or so to see you. I'm really glad you bothered to wake up in time for the show and put your teeth in :roll:
yes indeed Imp. very rude towards all, EC especially. Pete can sometimes be an asshole with choice of his words.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

bronxapostle wrote:

Dave
funny you should say that favedave. on the way home after the show, i was telling doc how when i am at a show with video screens...MAYBE i watch the screen for about 2% of the night. my eyes are ALWAYS glued to the stage. otherwise, i feel i'm paying to watch television. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh I rarely watch them when I'm there either...but given the static nature of even the best audience videos, it can be nice to see a multi-angle filming reproduced by an audience filmer, don't you think?

Dave
docinwestchester

The rest of my videos:

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://irocktheshot.com/2013/03/whocare ... re-garden/
Some great photos , including -

More photos here-

http://www.thewaster.com/photography/wh ... re-garden/

http://www.showbiz411.com/2013/03/01/ro ... ike-hes-39

Roger Daltrey Turns 69, Rocks MSG with the Who for Cancer Funding Like He’s 39

03/01/13

Roger Friedman

I think the combined ages of all the rockers I saw last night was well over 2,000. So the lesson we learn is, the older the better. Elvis Costello and the Imposters, followed by The Who, rocked the 5,000 sear Theater at Madison Square Garden last for Memorial Sloan Kettering’s Teen Cancer Fund. The Who’s eternally youthful Roger Daltrey is very involved with this charity, and spoke eloquently about it at the end of the evening. What he didn’t say: it was the eve of his 69th birthday. God bless!

But let’s cut to the chase: everyone else spoke eloquently with guitars, drums, and keyboards. Pete Townshend was simply remarkable as he, Daltrey, and the current model of The Who (which includes Townshend’s brother Simon and Ringo Starr’s on Zack Starkey) demolished the stage with a greatest hits show. From “Behind Blue Eyes” to the soaring double finale of “Baba O’Reilly” and “Won’t Get Fooled Again,” these guys were earth shaking. And to see them in such a small theater was the great treat.

I had missed The Who last fall on tour, and then at that 12-12-12 mega thing at MSG. They were worth the wait. Daltrey looks 50 tops up close. He still can’t keep a shirt quite on, but he knows what shape he’s in. He could sell millions of fitness and diet books. Townshend also looks swell. He swings his axe like it’s 1970. This iteration of The Who is as supple as ever. Digging way back for “The Kids Are Alright” and “Pinball Wizard,” the group keeps it tight. There’s no excess. And Daltrey gets to shine ever more on “Love, Reign O’er Me.” It gave me chills.

Costello and the Imposters are just four people– the star, plus Steve Nieve, Davey Faragher, and Pete Thomas. They also played a greatest hits set, blazing through 45 minutes like a heat seeking missile. How well the hits hold up– from “Alison” to “High Fidelity,” “Lipstick Vogue,” “Pump it Up,” “Watching the Detectives,” “Everyday I Write the Book,” to “What’s So Funny (‘Bout Peace, Love and Understanding),” and a terrific nod to The Who on “Substitute.”

EC and co. don’t even stop–it’s just an old fashioned punk rock attack that is vital as it was in 1981. And when Costello sings “Radio Radio” from 1978, warning of the destruction of rock radio and the record business, you can only admire how prescient he was. And no one listened. Radio is still in the hands of such a lot of fools trying to anesthetize the way that we feel.

I’m told Cablevision threw in the theater for free, and that with ticket sales, around $2 million was raised to help teens 13-23 with cancer.

http://trainwriter.blogspot.ie/2013/03/ ... y-for.html

Train Writer blogs -

(extract)

Elvis Costello and The Impostors opened. It was the first time for us seeing the legend. Now, just a second as I digress to the ancient past; sleeping in tents in Dan Madigan’s back yard, say 1978 and hearing Pump It UP on the radio and thinking this song is powerful. I loved it. But never have seen a single performance. Elvis came out and high fived some fans in front of the stage and cranked out his hits. What’s so funny about Peace Love and Understanding, Radio Radio, Pump It UP. Allison, Everyday, I write the Book. Each song smacked into the next, no holding back for the green Costello with his thick black glasses and white wired head set looking like a freaked out Irish alien from outer space. His band was incredible. This is one act I would love to see again instead of an opener, although New York loves the Costello alien. Watching the Detectives….Elvis can play the guitars with the best of them.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Costello and The Who are easily the most thrilling live acts I've seen. It seems like the perfect double bill and I'm most irked I wasn't able to attend this gig.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i love them both too JD! but... EASILY??? have you not seen Bruce, the Stones, the CLASH, Prince, Weller or Cardinals? wish you were there.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

I've seen Weller twice, I'm seeing Springsteen for the first time in two weeks, the Clash disbanded four years before I was born, I'm not a Prince fan and by the Cardinals do you mean the Baltimore R&B group from the 50s? Or the Ryan Adams backing band? Either way, I haven't seen them.

The greatest, most affecting, most dynamic, thrilling, moving gigs I've seen are (in order):

1. Elvis Costello and the Sugarcanes - Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, June 2010.
2. The Who - Acer Arena, Sydney, March 2009.
3. Elvis Costello and the Imposters - Durham Performing Arts Centre, May 2012.
4. Elvis Costello (solo) - Royal Festival Hall, London, June 2010.

All pretty perfect shows.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

just funning you JD! i knew THE CLASH were done before you came around. yes Ryan's Cardinals were freaking A++++ glad you are seeing Bruce for the first time. ENJOY! Weller is a king, but ELVIS is THE MAN!!!!!!!