I need an album

Pretty self-explanatory
Neil.

I need an album

Post by Neil. »

Just sayin'. I need news of another Elvis album, pronto. I need songs, toot sweet. And by that I don't mean cover versions from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. I mean twelve or more songs on an album, tout suite. A spring release (and by that I don't mean some sort of mousetrap mechanism.) I'M GAGGING FOR NEW ELVIS SONGS!!! ELVIS, WHERE ARE YOU?!!!
Jack of All Parades

Re: I need an album

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Well hopefully he is enjoying his life and family and not in the least bit worried about us. Just doing what he wants to do.......
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

An album would be very nice, but more importantly...............HOW ABOUT SOME LONDON DATES ! ! ! :(
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

And what about a new batch of 2 CD reissues (from Painted From Memory to Whise Up Ghost)?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Or a continuation of the early album re- releases with a live complete show from that era ?
Incidentally , I came across some old music papers at a jumble sale and found an NME review of the free show in the Clarendon ballroom in January 1990 and the reviewer states that the show was definitely recorded - so there's another that would whet the appetite of fans !! Would go nicely with Get Happy reissue or a complete Hope And Anchor May 1980 show with Martin Belmont
FrankieJ

Post by FrankieJ »

Goon Squad wrote:An album would be very nice, but more importantly...............HOW ABOUT SOME LONDON DATES ! ! ! :(
I AGREE I AGREE I AGREE!!! I'm sooooo "aaahhhhh!!" about no London date announcements! Especially after EC saying at RAH he'd be back there this year. I need to know or I might die. It would be unusual for him not to do London gigs, right? Someone reassure me before I have to go into therapy. :P

I agree about a new album, too. Though I'm currently keeping the fire hot by hunting down the rare 2004 re-releases. I just got Almost Blue [Expanded Edition] in the post today. 27 bonus tracks!!! Yippee! And only £7. Lucky find.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

FrankieJ wrote:I AGREE I AGREE I AGREE!!! I'm sooooo "aaahhhhh!!" about no London date announcements! Especially after EC saying at RAH he'd be back there this year. I need to know or I might die.
That's a bit extreme :lol:

To be honest I'm not fussed if he doesn't do a London date if it's at the Royal Albert Hall or Hammersmith. It'd be great if he played out somewhere like Shepherds Bush Empire.

Maybe a London show will showcase his new album with the Imposters!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
cwr

Post by cwr »

I'm always the worst at predicting what EC is gonna do next, but I often feel like National Ransom might well have been the end of the line for EC wanting to do "regular" Elvis Costello albums.

Since then, we've had Wise Up Ghost-- which was spurred into existence by The Roots and producer Steve Mandel-- and The New Basement Tapes, which was spurred into existence by Dylan and T Bone Burnett.

And I think eventually, when all is said and done, if they release the rest of The New Basement Tapes, we will essentially have an entire album of EC/Dylan songs. I predict we will have the 4 we already have and at LEAST 10 more. Maybe even a few more than that. Based on everything we've heard about the way Costello approached this project, I think he probably attempted to do a version of each and every song Dylan handed them lyrics for.

But EC has been without a record deal for years now, right? He's a free agent, and seems to have no designs on putting out a new record anytime soon, does he? I know he could always spring a Momofuku on us.

Has anyone else heard the rumors that Colbert is pursuing EC to be the bandleader for the new Late Show on CBS? It would make sense, given EC's past appearances on Colbert and their clear chemistry. It would make sense for EC, being a regular gig in his adopted US hometown, in the thick of the action, at a time when there may be advantages to not having to be on the road all the time. And, truth be told, a scenario like that might be conducive to getting him back into a recording mode.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

I would seriously welcome him getting a steady radio gig- put that knowledge, gift of gab and encyclopedic internal musical library to good use. 8)
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

cwr wrote:Has anyone else heard the rumors that Colbert is pursuing EC to be the bandleader for the new Late Show on CBS? It would make sense, given EC's past appearances on Colbert and their clear chemistry. It would make sense for EC, being a regular gig in his adopted US hometown, in the thick of the action, at a time when there may be advantages to not having to be on the road all the time. And, truth be told, a scenario like that might be conducive to getting him back into a recording mode.
Interesting. I Googled it:

http://www.salon.com/2014/11/11/stephen ... show_band/

...He [Colbert] would discover Elvis Costello, who became his favorite songwriter. “If there was somebody’s songs I wish I had written, it would be Elvis Costello’s songs,” he told Gross. Costello is now a Colbert friend, and he’s performed on the show four times, including the 2008 Christmas special.

So Costello leaps out as a possible bandleader. Exhibit A: Costello hosted the “Late Show” in 2003 when Letterman was out recovering from an eye infection. Costello’s charisma and on-camera ease would make him a good fit as a Shaffer-like sidekick in addition to his musical duties. Costello’s sharp, often sardonic wit and shared rapport with Colbert would make for entertaining banter, a staple of late-night shows. The two have even performed together four times on “The Report,” something that might become a feature of a Colbert/Costello “Late Night,” much like Jimmy Fallon’s frequent musical collaborations with the Roots crew. Importantly, Costello might bring longtime keyboard player Steve Nieve into the new house band. Nieve served as bandleader for popular U.K. late night host Jonathan Ross during the 1980s.

But in the end, barring a dark horse who’s never appeared on “The Report,” it’s difficult to imagine anyone other than Costello taking the spot as bandleader. As of right now, Costello has hosted the “Late Show” more times than Colbert. He’s Colbert’s favorite musician, and they’re friends. It all adds up. Costello, though, will be 60 years old when the show debuts, and millennial audiences might not connect with a performer whose most famous songs were already classics before they were born.

http://www.hollywood.com/news/tv/568679 ... r?page=all

Elvis Costello
While this one may be a bit of a stretch, the connection between the two is more than tenuous. Colbert has a great admiration for Costello, and the two have become good friends thanks to Colbert's show. Costello even sang a duet with Steven during his 2008 Comedy Central special A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift of All! If that wasn't enough, there's the simple fact that Elvis Costello is just really cool. Not run of the mill cool, but old school cool. He's smooth, and has a big presence that won't get drowned out by Colbert's antics.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

FrankieJ wrote:Though I'm currently keeping the fire hot by hunting down the rare 2004 re-releases. I just got Almost Blue [Expanded Edition] in the post today. 27 bonus tracks!!! Yippee! And only £7. Lucky find.
Fantastic - you're in for some real treats!
the_roofdog

Post by the_roofdog »

Top Tip: Pick out an old record at random and listen to it at the wrong speed to pretend it's a new one. 8)
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

He seems to have lost his faith in albums? And this purely on economical (not artistic) grounds?

The train came off the rails in 1996, when the last tones of 'I Want To Vanish' lingered in the air. There have been plenty of albums and projects since then - many signs of 'returning to form'. But for me, that's when the forward momentum of his career ceased ...

All that being said: I want a new album too! :)
FrankieJ

Post by FrankieJ »

Neil. wrote:
FrankieJ wrote:Though I'm currently keeping the fire hot by hunting down the rare 2004 re-releases. I just got Almost Blue [Expanded Edition] in the post today. 27 bonus tracks!!! Yippee! And only £7. Lucky find.
Fantastic - you're in for some real treats!
Indeed! I also bought Goodbye Cruel World [Expanded Edition] yesterday. Excited.