New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Randy Newman tickets finally went on sale, and I managed to score Red and I a pair of 5th row centre.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Fuckity fuck fuck fuck. Richard Hawley's in New York on March 23rd, but it coincides with my wife's business trip to Dusseldorf and I'm not sure I can line up babysitting. Anyone want two kids, going cheap? Just need enough to cover the cost of my ticket! :wink:
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Surely you can. A month and a half plus, presumably no need to rush to buy tickets. There must be some teens nearby to check out. No sweat. Imagine how I feel knowing that Elbow are playing Cambridge in under two weeks, and I'll miss them - I'll be in Ireland, a slightly more convincing reason than yours!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Surely you can. A month and a half plus, presumably no need to rush to buy tickets. There must be some teens nearby to check out. No sweat. Imagine how I feel knowing that Elbow are playing Cambridge in under two weeks, and I'll miss them - I'll be in Ireland, a slightly more convincing reason than yours!
I'm working on it. We went to my father's retirement dinner tonight and our regular babysitter, who watched the kids tonight, can't do it. Time for Plan B. I was also asked to get up and say a few kind words about my old man. Thought I acquitted myself quite well under the circumstances. Nice evening out with a bunch of lawyers.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices »

Going to see Spoon tonight - 7th time full band, seen Britt Daniel 3 times solo. EC connection - Britt was on Veronica Mars this past week singing karaoke Veronica. anyway, figure there's gotta be some Spoon fans here...
we have powerlines in our bloodlines
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Richard Thompson w. Danny Thompson - Sage, Gateshead, UK

A magical evening - 2 hours of sad songs, jolly songs, sing a longs, and jokes (and only one guitar made all those different noises, all night).

Also, ingratiation ("I'm a big fan of Viz") and improvisation (before playing the requested Misunderstood, they mumbled a few bars of Don't Let me be Misunderstood).
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Saw a banging great loud show by the mighty Nine Black Alps tonight, my ears are still ringing. Definitely a band to watch. A bonus was a great support set by The Flaws, incredible drummer. A freezing night here in Dublin, these bands were well worth the journey. Next up it's Buddy Miller tomorrow week.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Ron White on the 25th (the FUNNY part of the Blue Collar Comedy tour).

Scott Miller and the Commonwealth are at Bluecats on 3/24 for a cd release thing, so I'm mulling that over.

and this guy, who recently won a grammy award for best contemporary folk album (beating out Bruce)
Imagehave I mentioned that I'm seeing him on 3/3?
Like me, the "g" is silent.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Just ordered my tickets for Ray Davies @ Massey Hall (Elvis' favourite Toronto venue) for March 30th.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Billy Bragg and Morrissey in May
signed with love and vicious kisses
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

ReadyToHearTheWorst wrote:Richard Thompson w. Danny Thompson - Sage, Gateshead, UK

A magical evening - 2 hours of sad songs, jolly songs, sing a longs, and jokes (and only one guitar made all those different noises, all night).

Also, ingratiation ("I'm a big fan of Viz") and improvisation (before playing the requested Misunderstood, they mumbled a few bars of Don't Let me be Misunderstood).
I saw them in Brighton with newfound love of my life Laura. We both shed a tear or two during a fantastic version of The Great Valerio, a song she hadn't heard before & I'd heard hundreds of times. And she agreed that Gethsemane was the best song. So yeah, magic there too!
What this world needs is more silly men.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Los Lobos "Kiko and the Lavender Moon" Feb 24th at San Diego HOB.

One of six shows that features the full Grammy winning lp, played in sequence. Saw it at Anaheim HOB. Will never forget it, so I am seeing it again in SD. If you are anywhere near SD, this is a real treat.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Neko Case in March and on February 19: The Electric 6!!!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

The Magic Numbers tomorrow night in London
Billy Bragg in May in London (coincidentally in the same row as SoLack and BWAP).
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
verbal gymnastics

The Magic Numbers were excellent. In my wife's words "they're so sweet". What she means is that they seem genuinely touched by the affection and adulation they receive.

They played a 75 minute set which included almost everything off the album plus two new songs and a barnstorming acoustic version of Beyonce's Crazy In Love. That was worth the ticket money itself.

Highy recommended.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

One of the many lyrical reasons I'll be seeing Electric 6 on Sunday:

Jimmy Carter
Artist(Band):Electric Six

Like Jimmy Carter
like electric underwear
Like any idea that never had a chance of going anywhere
This is who you are
Hey, celebrity who drives off a bridge in a car
Your beautiful body filling up with water

Like Harry Truman dropping bombs out of the air
Like any self-respecting multi-billionaire
This is who you are
Five dancing teenage boys who sing their way into our hearts
Backstreets back alright

And there's a toxic cloud hanging over her
And there's white noise on the screen
And there's a man in a hotel room assaulting the maid who just came to clean
Up the mess
Backstreets back alright

Like Ronald Reagan falling asleep for ever more
Dreaming of horses and dreaming of nuclear war
This is where we are tonight
Everybody under surveilance from a satellite
You could be the first one on your block to die

And there's a plague of locusts upon us
And there's a nightmare in the swarm
And there's a lion out in the desert slouching towards Bethlehem to be born..again
Backstreets back alright.....alright.
Otis Westinghouse

SLL: is that Moz at Ally Pally?

VG: am jealous. Am so regretting not getting tickets for Magic Numbers at the small Cambridge venue The Junction the other month. Reports were good. Been playing the LP in the Irish hire car, it's so very good. They're sweet, but there's more to it than that. There are moments that make you so very happy. I love the way their middle 8s aren't middle 8s but new departures in the song, often with the crucial line or sentiment.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

No, Moz at the Hexagon in Reading.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

verbal gymnastics wrote:The Magic Numbers were excellent. In my wife's words "they're so sweet". What she means is that they seem genuinely touched by the affection and adulation they receive.

They played a 75 minute set which included almost everything off the album plus two new songs and a barnstorming acoustic version of Beyonce's Crazy In Love. That was worth the ticket money itself.

Highy recommended.
Yup, their acoustic Crazy In Love is fantastic. One of my favourite covers at the moment. Did they release it anywhere? (Beats John Wesley Harding's Like A Prayer & Richard Thompson's Oops I Did It Again hands down.)
What this world needs is more silly men.
Otis Westinghouse

so lacklustre wrote:No, Moz at the Hexagon in Reading.
Well done, thought you/your mate had been unable to get tickets. Look forward to comparing notes.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

King Hoarse wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:The Magic Numbers were excellent. In my wife's words "they're so sweet". What she means is that they seem genuinely touched by the affection and adulation they receive.

Highy recommended.
Yup, their acoustic Crazy In Love is fantastic. One of my favourite covers at the moment. Did they release it anywhere? (Beats John Wesley Harding's Like A Prayer & Richard Thompson's Oops I Did It Again hands down.)

Here's a pretty decent mp3 of them doing it in Amsterdam

http://queijoderretido5.no.sapo.pt/Magi ... ove%20.mp3
verbal gymnastics

Thanks Martin.

Officially 'I See You, You See Me' is out now in the UK. As well as being on CD it's available as a two part set of coloured 7" vinyl singles.

Part one includes the band's version of 'Crazy In Love' as performed on Jo Whiley's Live Lounge on Radio One.

Part two includes a cover of The Smiths 'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out' as performed on Dermot O'Leary's Radio Two show.

I'm off to try and buy them at lunchtime!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

The Levellers

Not that familiar with their stuff but they were playing an acoustic show at the local theatre (and as we don't get many decent acts there I took the opportunity of getting good seats). Tickets said 7.30 and we got there at about that time, went straight to the bar for Guinness and had just taken a sip when the band started up (I thought the bar was quiet!), and as drinks aren't allowed in the auditorium I had to sink the pint. Anyway the band consists of lead singer on acoustic guitar, fiddle player/whistle, keyboard man, drummer, bassist/more percussion and the last member also did some singing and played banjo/guitar/ukelele/harmonica/plus some large electric mouth organ thing. They were all seated throughout with 4 intentionally corny standard lamps giving it a cosy feel. The first set lasted for nearly an hour and was mainly folk rock style ballads mostly at a gentle pace. They took half an hour interval and then cranked it up for the 2nd half with some fantastic musicianship. The 'all seated' audience were now dancing in the aisles and the place was rocking. The first encore begun with a fantastc solo on what I think must have been a didjeridoo, and the show finally finished at 10.20, which left time for another drink.
Well worth it if they are in your area.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I had to sink the pint.
I hate it when that happens.

this guy tonight

on his You Can't Fix Stupid tour.

and have I mentioned that John Prine will be here 3/3?????? And that I have Really GREAT seats?????? :lol:
Like me, the "g" is silent.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Saw Duncan Sheik last night. Great show. The venue is a renovated church so the sound was great with the high arched ceiling. If you are only aware of his breakout hit 'Barely Breathing' you are missing out. Duncan turned me onto Nick Drake. (Not personally. He did a song by him when I saw him a few years ago.) If you also like Jeff Buckley, Duncan might be up your alley.

I bought his newest CD at the show, White Limousine and, what's cool, the second CD is a CD-ROM with each individual instrument and vocal track so you can remix your own version. I probably won't mess with it.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain