Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

yeah...Ronaldo is one big boy....... :lol: Maybe Becks was right when he blamed the Real training regime for his own lack of fitness at Euro 2004.

Ronaldo reminds me of Neil Ruddock when he was in his last few months at Liverpool.
corruptio optimi pessima
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Grooooaaaannnn. Another point lost in the last few seconds.

Still that was probably one of the most biased refereeing performances I've ever seen. Every 50/50 decision went to the home side.

Yeah,yeah sour grapes and all that. We deserved a point. Will be cheering on Liverpool tomorrow and hoping West Ham get a point at Bolton. Blackburn will close up with a win over insipid villa.
corruptio optimi pessima
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Well i've had my nose rubbed in it by my son, and I owe him £5 as we lost! :( Getting a bit sick of the way we throw it away in the dying minutes of the game. Im also getting sick of Jol bringing on substitutes in the last 10 minutes of the game which is pointless and unfair to the players he brings on expecting them to perform before they have even warmed up in the match. If you are going to make a substitution then give the player a chance to make a difference to the side! Robbie and Mido were so quiet you wouldn't know they were playing, but Davids actually managed a few passes to his own team! :shock:

Before we started I predicted a 2-1 win to chelsea with chelsea scoring the winning goal in the extra time. I also predicted Jol bringing on Defoe and taking off Keane 10 minutes before full time! Only prediction that didn't happen was I also said he would take off Tainio and bring on Lennon at the same time. Time to put a bit more polish on my crystal ball. :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

bloody West Ham!
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Unbelievable day for great goals. So much so that they had to show goals of day at the end of MOTD, and you could easily have had a typical month's worth today. Bettie, McFadden, Gallas (I'm afraid), Pedersen, Speed (hooray! in my team...). So many for one day. Lawro has never seen anything like it. More tomorrow?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

Oldham Athletic won. Again!

7th in League One, that's where it's at...
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
Otis Westinghouse

Nice one! Oldham makes a nice change from all this Premiership bollocks, not that I went to my local team Cambridge much before they got conference. There's a serious Stockport fan at work, so I've been hearing all about their travails. Do you get to see the games much, stranded as you are in Birmingham?
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

Well, not really. Stranded at Birmingham Uni, I managed to see them play away at Walsall. IT was pretty crap to be honest. Too many long balls (got to the point where the goalkeepers were hoofing it down the pitch to each other!) but Latics still won 2-0.

I don't really have a "team" in the Premiership. I like everton, and of course as a Latics fan it's my duty to hate Man utd and Man City. I can't bring myself to though, I don't like hating things.

I can't wait to go back to oldham in 2 weeks. I hope i'll see a match, though i probably won't.
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

A few mates and I went to see the top of the table clash between Northampton Town and Carlisle United on Friday night.

There were a few ex Prem players on show, including Ian Taylor (who was dire!) and Michael Bridges (who oozed class and scored a cracker).

A bizarre game in which Northampton has the majority of possession but still managed to lose 3-0.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

oldhamer wrote:I can't bring myself to though, I don't like hating things.

Welcome oldhamer. You can hate Chelsea, just like everyone else. ;-)

Just back from a week in Seattle visiting with family, getting rained on. Saw some bison and elk, drank some beer - that sort of thing. Deception Pass on Whidbey Island is quite possibly one of the most beautiful places on Earth. I took a few photos and will post them to the photo gallery if I ever manage to get them developed (I forgot the digital camera and had to buy a cheapie disposable).

Saw Gallas' goal on the highlights show when I got home this evening (what a stunner), but luckily missed the CL match against Barca.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Hah! You knew when to go AWOL. 'Deception Pass' sounds like Mourinho should live there. What a shame Gallas got that stunner!!! Rooney was cracking, but sadly so was my ex-player Henry. Still, I've reached a season high in the ultra-competitive work league of number 4 (not bad considering that the top two are or recently were in the tio 200 globally). This weekend was also the second-leg of our cup competition quarter finals, aka second round. It's all down to the outcome of Liv v Ful on Wed. A Hyppia goal would seal it for me...
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Hah! You knew when to go AWOL. 'Deception Pass' sounds like Mourinho should live there.
This is taken from the trail above Deception Pass, looking down to the little beach (not my photo, unfortunately). Beyond the fog lies the San Juan Islands. I didn't see Jose down there, but Mourinho's gloom would suit Seattle perfectly.

Back to the footy - the two Mendes goals for Pompey were also quite good. Still, I don't see them avoiding the drop.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Looks like Ballack is on his way to Chelsea, possibly before the World Cup. Otis, you must be relieved. I'm trying to work out all the possible midfield combinations with Ballack included and can't make heads or tails of it. Maybe something like this - Robben, Cole, Makelele, Ballack, Lampard?

That leaves out Gudjohnsen (who has been outstanding this season), Duffer (who has been fairly anonymous), Wright-Phillips (better recently) and Maniche (expendable and on loan).
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

And Essien, who you wouldn't leave out.

Some of the midfield will be leaving imo probably Makele, and one of Duff & Robben.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Essien, of course. Good point. Not to mention Geremi.

Could Maka be considering retirement? Then you move Essien into the Makelele role, and unload a player or two.

I could see Duff leaving. Maybe Gudjohnsen as well, though I think we'd miss his creativity.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I still think Makelele is one of the best defensive midfielders around.
Why he could be considered as a possible transfer is beyond me.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

invisible Pole wrote:I still think Makelele is one of the best defensive midfielders around.
Why he could be considered as a possible transfer is beyond me.
I agree. He will either retire or stay with the Chelsea. I can't see them letting him get away to another club.
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:

Thanks, and hi! I've introduced myself proper in "That Bugger Elvis" in general discussion.

It's no fun hating chelsea. Where's the effort in that? :wink:

City 2-1 VIlla. Don't like, David O'Leary, so that's rather amusing...
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

oldhamer wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:

City 2-1 VIlla. Don't like, David O'Leary, so that's rather amusing...
Ah. yeah, but his team are only youngfellas. Ya haff ta give dem toime"
corruptio optimi pessima
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I'll take whatever these guys are smoking!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/s ... index.html
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Those rankings are a joke, though I do think that Arena has the team playing well at the moment. Still, I'd be surprised if we progressed out of our WC group.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Well its a crucial day today for the Spurs. Arse, Blackburn, Bolton and West Ham will all win their home matches, so a win at birmingham is essential. Brum should have taken at least a point when they played us at the Lane, and they'll be fighting all the way today. traditionally we always lose to the strugglers at this stage of the season. Fact is, we haven't played very well this season and I have a bad feeling we'll be slipping out europe althogether if we fail to win today.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

No help from Sunderland or Boro for you. That West Ham result is a bit of a shocker. My buddy Tom the Pompey supporter had just about given up hope of survival. Should he dare to dream?
Otis Westinghouse

Utd should have won by lots more today. And not let in a goal (especially as I signed my heart-throb Ronaldo). Stunning Pompey result, although as they read out on the speakers at Old Trafford: 'West Ham reserves 2 Portsmouth 4'. I don't think Pardew should have fielded such a team even given the pile-up of FA Cup games and the gruelling nature of the Wednesday win. Maybe rest two or three of the regulaars. Arse looking the business now, which is a bugger cos there's no way I could now re-sign Henry.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Aresenal ? Fuck em. They're a one man team if ever there was one. They deserve fuck all!
corruptio optimi pessima