Bowie-Where do I start?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
SweetPear

Bowie-Where do I start?

Post by SweetPear »

I love him, even saw him live once. I just saw a video for Fame Live at the Beeb on VH1C.....wow, that was incredibly cool.
All I ever had was Changes 1 & 2......help from any of you Bowie fans? I know you're out there!
I'm not angry anymore....
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

Ziggy stardust and the spiders from mars is a great place to start.
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I LOVE Bowie. LOVE. I'm such a Bowie geek that (as Otis will attest), I even get all geek about substandard stuff like Let's Dance (trhat wasn't a confession, by the way). I'm so pleased that he's done great work like Reality and Heathen recentlly. I still adore the Thin White Duke.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

noiseradio wrote:I LOVE Bowie. LOVE. I'm such a Bowie geek that (as Otis will attest), I even get all geek about substandard stuff like Let's Dance (trhat wasn't a confession, by the way). I'm so pleased that he's done great work like Reality and Heathen recentlly. I still adore the Thin White Duke.
Noiseradio, I imagine you can't sleep tonight?
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
wardo68

Re: Bowie-Where do I start?

Post by wardo68 »

SweetPear wrote:I love him, even saw him live once. I just saw a video for Fame Live at the Beeb on VH1C.....wow, that was incredibly cool. All I ever had was Changes 1 & 2......help from any of you Bowie fans? I know you're out there!
Hunky Dory is one of my favorite albums by anybody. From there I support Aladdin Sane, Station To Station and Low, and the next tier down would be Ziggy Stardust and Diamond Dogs. I thought <i>Heathen</I> was the best thing he'd done in 20 years. Those I think are the strongest albums, but just about every other one has something for me. Then again, I liked Tin Machine too.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I agree with Extreme Honey... start with Ziggy Stardust. It may not be his best album, but it's the best introduction for a new listener. Either that or Hunky Dory.

But here's a more authoritative peice.

http://beingtheremag.com/content/0412/gettintoknow.html
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Or go here, where it looks prettier:

http://beingtheremag.com/column.php?id=176&issue=5

;)
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

I would agree with Wardo - Hunky Dory, Aladdin Sane, Station To Station, Low, Ziggy Stardust and Diamond Dogs.

Then there is Heroes and Lodger. Basically you cant go wrong with anything before and including Scary Monsters. Anything made in the 70's
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Extreme Honey, please don't imagine my nocturnal habits anymore. It creeps me out.

Red shoes, that article is BRILLIANT.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
LittleFoole

Post by LittleFoole »

Am a fan of "David Live," but mainly for the reason that I was there...LOL. Sound quality sucks compared to modern live recordings, but, what the hey...As for studio work, I agree with the recommendations of Ziggy , Hunky Dory, and Alladin Sane (God, I miss Mick Ronson....enjoyed his work with Ian Hunter as well :cool: )
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Now I'm good and psyched!
So I'm going to Amamzon and I'm buying........ZiggyStardust and Hunky Dorey....what do ya think, yes?

(BTW...I love Blue Jean. Not really a confession, but I'm sure that'll hurt a die-hard Bowie geek just like the "Elvis fans" who just love Everyday I write the Book :lol: )

I really am excited about collecting his records. I've loved his work and have been a fan all along, just never bought anything. He's been incredibly consisent throughout the years, has aged gracefully (like EC) and still puts out quality stuff.... and he's still very, very cool. I'm excited!
Thanks guys. :D
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

(Noise, I was talking about geeks in general, not specifically zeroing in on your admitted geekishness.)

:lol:
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Can't go wrong with anyone's suggestions thus far. I'm a HUGE fan of Scary Monsters. It is far, far ahead of its time.
Masterpiece?

Post by Masterpiece? »

pophead2k wrote:Can't go wrong with anyone's suggestions thus far. I'm a HUGE fan of Scary Monsters. It is far, far ahead of its time.
That's a big Me Too. Scary Monsters is probably my favorite Bowie of all, even measured against all the holy classics.
Everybody's hiding under covers... who's making Lover's Lane safe again for lovers?"
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Scary Monsters is a damn fine album. The other one that is making me stand up and take notice lately is Station to Station. I think it gets less attention than Low and Heroes, but I like it at least as well as those.
--William Shakespeare
Masterpiece?

Post by Masterpiece? »

Ditto on Station to Station. Eclectic but still essential.

Plus his version of Wild Is the Wind makes me melt. ;)
Everybody's hiding under covers... who's making Lover's Lane safe again for lovers?"
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

I think "Lodger" is the overlooked gem in Bowies catalogue, full of great warped pop songs "Red Sails" and "Move On" "Look Back in Anger" , some of his very best work.

Ive also always enjoyed "Pinups" which seems to get a lot of bad press.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Correct you are.

--Yoda.
--William Shakespeare
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

I love Bowie too. While I think the early albums are great, I absolutley love everything between -76 and -80. My favourite album is Scary Monsters without doubt. It was the first Bowie-album I got and it was a great introduction, so I'd recommend starting with that.

The Eno-Trilogy, Low, Heroes And especially Lodger are all excellent. As is Station To Station. Of the more recent releases, I find Outside to be really great as well. Heathen and Reality are also very good.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

All of them, and not much mention, if any, has been made of the mighty Young Americans, which is a little patchy, but contains some of his best moments ever, e.g. the unbeatable title track and fantastic slow burner Win. I love the whole transition from Diamond Dogs through the David Live tour into the white boy funk grooves of Young Americans.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more