Elvis 'n Joe Jackson - expanding musical horizons

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis 'n Joe Jackson - expanding musical horizons

Post by johnfoyle »

Oct.'06 is the 25th anniversary of the release of Almost Blue. It introduced me to acceptable country music, as opposed to country 'n Irish and mainstream Nashville fare.

Around the same time Joe Jackson released Jumpin' Jive , an album of covers of big band / swing songs. Just as with Elvis, Joe used his (then) record selling clout to force his record company to indulge him in exploring an unfashionable musical genre. As with ‘Blue, I found myself discovering a whole new area of music. Back in those pre 'net/CD days it was a real task to find the originals of the songs and more material by the artists in question. Whole sections of my record/CD collection can be traced back to those two albums.

Does anyone else here have memories of a similar experience?

http://www.jj-archive.net/albums/ju.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jumpin-Jive-Joe ... F8&s=music

http://www.mp3.com/albums/8232/summary.html

Jumpin' Jive proved to be one of Joe Jackson's most adventurous projects as he tries his hand at covering a bunch of Louis Jordan and Cab Calloway tunes, ranging from the extravagance of big band to bop to vibrant swing music. The album broke the Top 50 in the U.S. and made it to number 14 in England, with the title track peaking at number 43 over there as well. Jackson sounds extremely fresh and vivacious throughout all of the tracks, with Calloway's "We the Cats" and "Is You Is or Is You Ain't My Baby" demonstrating how easily his persona adapts to this particular style of music. Jackson doesn't just sing the music here, he actually role-plays to some extent to make the songs sound that much more genuine and timeless, giving tunes like "Tuxedo Junction," "What's the Use of Getting Sober," and the hip-cat composure of "Jumpin' Jive" some modern flash and color. The horn work is dazzling as well, especially Dave Bitelli's alto sax and Pete Thomas' clarinet contributions. Not only was Jumpin' Jive a novel idea, but it reveals Jackson's musical dexterity and desire to further his interests into other avenues aside from pop and mainstream ballads. Although he touched on reggae with 1980's Beat Crazy, Jumpin' Jive fully uncovers his musical astuteness and remains one of his best albums. ~ Mike DeGagne, All Music Guide

Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

Quiz time. Name a song by EC and by Joe Jackson with the SAME title.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Is it Human Touch from Blaze of Glory (although the JJ discography entitles this The Human Touch)?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

You're too clever by half, VB.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

I really like Joe Jackson as well as Elvis and I really enjoyed this album as well as Almost Blue. Even though I grew up in Nashville and don't particularly like most country music, any Country Elvis is good to listen to. I saw Elvis at the Grand Ole Opry on the AB tour and Spooky has posted a picture of the T-shirt in the past.

I remember also buying Joe Jackson's Beat Crazy and liking it very much on first listen.

They are both very sarcastic and musically broad. It is a shame they have never crossed paths musically.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Blogster Scott has a memory similar to mine -

http://s-woods.blogspot.com/2007/04/cov ... lojoe.html

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Genre exercises by all-you-can-eat new wavers, released virtually in tandem with one another (the cliché in those days was that anytime Costello pulled a move, Jackson would quickly step in line with a somewhat modified version of the same move; for a time, this was in fact true). Elvis's is a set of country covers, from George Jones to Charlie Rich to Patsy Cline (produced by Billy Sherrill); Clueless Joe's is a collection of swing-era remakes, from Louis Jordan to Cab Calloway to Louis Armstrong. I fell hard for both records at the time (this was back when I wanted to take in everything, so long as it was somehow new wave-identified), and grew out of each fairly quickly. Elvis's left the bigger imprint in that it expedited an interest in country, and helped me figure out which records to start with, though the records I did end up getting (compilations by Patsy Cline, George Jones, and Hank Williams) mostly served to highlight the weaknesses of Elvis's interpretations. (Actually, his George Jones cover is still perfect, and the two Gram Parsons' covers are very good. The others pale next to his own country-inspired songs. Country served him better as an inspiration woven into his own music, rather than as a specific genre exercise--no surprise there.) I did take a Cab Calloway album out of the library once, thanks to Jumpin' Jive, but that was as far as I got.