New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Going? Is The Sage small? Hope he's showered with adoration, he deserves nothing less.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Can I have my money back? Sounds like a total waste of an evening!
Yes you can have your money back! I am the official refunder for unwanted Billy Bragg tickets. Send me the tickets and will return your money with interest by return post. I promise.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Well sadly the Junction was largely empty for Ron S, though of course it will be packed to the gills for Blokey Boy. How come the world hasn't appreciated that Ron is like, toootally sooo one of the best singers and writers, like, ever?
Most of them were probably in a coma from his last tour.
Otis Westinghouse

Only if their hearts and minds were already dead, for sure.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Going?
'fraid not, that's how I know he's sold out.
Otis Westinghouse wrote:Is The Sage small?
I think he's playing Hall 1, which is 400 seats. Hall 2 is 1700.

However, either Hall is a magical experience. For example Mavis Staples said "It's like Carnegie Hall in here" and Lucinda Williams declared it "the best sounding room we've played so far".

For a manga style view of the outside try this (the Sage being the mirrored armadillo between the fighting robots in the Tyne).
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Otis Westinghouse

Wow, Newcastle looks interesting these days. Tragic that you can't get a ticket. For that sort of sound I'd be tempted to drive up myself.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Lyle Lovett tonight at the Bass Hall in Fort Worth, which is the best sounding all Ive ever been in, its absolutely superb.
Next Friday, the Who ...
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Micah P. Hinson tomorrow night at Maxwell's in Hoboken - a rare night out with the missus.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Just found out the Pretenders are supporting the Who in Dallas next Friday - bonus!!
echos myron like a siren
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

So I find myself tonight at the Lucinda Williams gig at Shepherd's Bush, only having stepped in at the last moment as Mrs Bwap had to stay home to nurse Elvis the black Lab. Not really my thang but was enjoying the show, LW has a good stage presence and was clearly enjoying herself. The sound was good, we were standing in the stalls where it was pretty packed, they had played a good mixture of stuff including some good sounding tracks from her forthcoming album, and the band were rocking. Anyway LW says she has a very special guest to introduce, one of the biggest stars in rock.

So guess who came out and played guitar on a couple of tracks?
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Billy Bragg ?
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Nigel Tufnel?

mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Honey, I was home all night.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Don't leave us hanging, so lack!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I'm going to guess - Springsteen? Think he's touring the UK at the moment.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I'll interupt the suspense to mention that I just returned from seeing the Twilight Singers at Cat's Cradle in Chapel Hill. This is the band of Greg Dulli from the Afghan Whigs and the music is pretty similar to that fantastic band. The added bonus was having Mark Lanegan of the Screaming Trees on guest vocals. Lovely evening.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

The Boss it was! Pretty cool huh?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

That IS cool! The crowd must have gone nuts!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

cool! I hope Lucinda was worth the wait for BWAP.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

mood swung wrote:cool! I hope Lucinda was worth the wait for BWAP.
She was very good, really enjoying herself. The only downside to the night was feeling guilty for being at the show while WWAP was tending to our sick dog.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I drove down to Hoboken with my wife on Saturday to see Micah P. Hinson at Maxwell's, most famous perhaps as the home base of Yo La Tengo. This is the first time I'd ever been to Hoboken, which is directly across the East River from Manhattan (the other side of the Lincoln Tunnel). It's fairly gentrified, which is OK with me, because it meant there were plenty of good choices for pre-concert eats. As we were walking down Washington St. to Maxwell's, we saw a plaque indicating that we were standing on what was once Elysian Fields, which is generally believed to be the site of the first ever organized baseball game (you can see more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elysian_Fi ... New_Jersey). Maxwell's is directly across the street from the plaque, which I thought was pretty cool.

Micah's show was a bit brief but very enjoyable (another band - one of the guys from The Strokes - was going on at ten). He played with a drummer/banjo/lap steel player named Nick Phelps and started out with some of the quieter numbers from his new disc, Micah P. Hinson and the Opera Circuit, then got a but more rootsy in the middle and took it up a few notches at the end. He played most of my faves, including "Drift Off to Sleep" and "The Day Texas Sank to the Bottom of the Sea", so I was a happy man. My wife said he reminds her of a very very young Elvis Costello, and I suppose there's something to it, apart from the strong Texas drawl. Sadly, there were only 35 or so people at the show, though Maxwell's is a tiny room.

I got to chat with him a bit before the show and he couldn't have been more gracious. Not to toot my own horn, but I also interviewed him in Being There this month, and if you'd care to take a look, you can go here: http://beingtheremag.com/feature.php?id=311&issue=21. IMO he's a hell of a talent and both of the LPs he's produced so far have been outstanding.

Here's a pic I found of his Chicago gig - yep, I can see a bit of EC in there...

oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

Have ordered tickets to see the Pogues at Birmingham NIA on December 13th - i can't wait!
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
Otis Westinghouse

Hope Shane does better than the clip of him last night on the Pete Doherty docu, mumbling through Dirty Old Town like a washed-up alkie who's lost contact with whatever once made him good. Him and the largely talentless doe-eyed Pete looked like the best advert for abstinence you could hope to see.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Lyle Lovett and his large band were in great form at his annual visit to the Bass Hall in Fort Worth. As always his between song banter was hilarious, and his band brilliant, containing members of the Muscle Shoals Horns, Vickor Krauss on double bass and Russ Kunkel on drums. Played a lot of newer stuff , including an awesome version of "My Baby Dont Tolerate" and a rockin "Cute as a Bug".

"Now there was two little imps
And they was black as tar
And they was trying to get to heaven
In an electric car
And that car wheel slipped
On down the hill
Instead of going to heaven
They went to Jacksonville.."
echos myron like a siren
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

I was in the pit moshing like a fool at The Primal Scream show last saturday. Playing to a mad for it Olympia audience, Bobby and Mani (who kissed each other on the lips at the end of the show) and the rest knew they could do no wrong and played a blinder. Fights, stage invasions, slamming, I really should have know better, I'm still aching. A great night. Next weekend an awesome double header of The Twilight Singers and The Flaming Lips awaits me. What eejit said there was nothing going on this side of the Atlantic?