New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
oldhamer

Post by oldhamer »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Hope Shane does better than the clip of him last night on the Pete Doherty docu, mumbling through Dirty Old Town like a washed-up alkie who's lost contact with whatever once made him good. Him and the largely talentless doe-eyed Pete looked like the best advert for abstinence you could hope to see.
Yeah, slightly worried he'll just not turn up, or fall over, or something. But Pogues in Brum? You have to go!
If there were a king of fools than I would wear that crown/And you can all die laughing/Because I'll wear it proudly.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I'm going to see Tim Easton this evening ; he has a entertaining blog. thingy on his site -

http://www.timeaston.com/scrapbook.html

Thursday I see Venezuelan pianist Gabriel Montero, Sat. Dublin group The Radiators , Sun. Ron Sexsmith ........like buses gigs seem to just arrive together.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

The Twilight Singers and The Flaming Lips
Thats a great double bill Martin, the Lips are phenomenal live, and I would love to see Greg Duhli and Co, Im sure they are amazing live too.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

On the guestlist for Cat Power & The Memphis Rhythm Band next Wednesday. Can't wait!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Well sadly the Junction was largely empty for Ron S, though of course it will be packed to the gills for Blokey Boy. How come the world hasn't appreciated that Ron is like, toootally sooo one of the best singers and writers, like, ever? here's what I posted on ronsexsmith.xom:

Damn! Had just written a nice detailed account and listed c. 23 songs, trying to work out what the cover was. George Harrison, involving the words 'peace on earth'. Don't know hiss song Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth), but was checking it out, and puff! Lost my post. It's now getting too far past midnight to reconsctruct the setlist. Suffice to say, great gig, though Juntion depressingly empty for such brilliance. Ron sang his heart out. Nice spread of songs, inc some unexpected ones like Heart With No Companion and April After All. Secret Heart was totally heart-wrenching, with a fabulous solo by Ron. My dedication of And Now The Day Is Done wasn't played, sadly! Wanted I Think We're Lost, but sadly no. snow Angel right at end, and closed with the heavenly Hard Bargain. Had a quick chat with Tim Bocavonti and Jason Mercer in bar afterwards. Absurdly, curfew meant the bar was closing at 10.50, so they were getting the Guinnesses in first! Nice guys. Tim very interested in where Syd Barrett lived in Cambridge!
I'm booked to see Ron in early January at the Bowery Ballroom.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Now you're talking! Is that a great venue? Scritti played there, I think (and both they and Ron play Shepherds Bush Empire this). Is it near CBGB at all (just asking cos I went past there the week it closed). Near where Bowie lives! (They should rename it the Bowiery.) If only I could wangle another trip to NY...
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

It's my favorite GA venue in New York. Cool neighborhood, good eats close by. Not too big, not too small. Cleaner than Webster Hall and they have a nice bar/lounge downstairs where you hang out before the show or between sets. CBGB was not too far away - Bowery at Bleecker. Bowery Ballroom is on Delancey St.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otis Westinghouse

GA?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

General admission, sorry.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Now I just need to get Time Being, which as MG said, has not yet been given a US release.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Lloyd Cole
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

ice nine wrote:Lloyd Cole
Nonplussed, were we?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Gabriel Montero did a quiet spellbinding show in the John Field room
in the NCH , Dublin last night. After a opening half hour of Rachmaninov she returned after the interval to do some astonishing improvisations. She had members of the audience not only suggest pieces but humming/singing/lal-lal-llalling the tune before transforming them into whole new pieces. "The Girl with the Flaxen Hair (La fille aux cheveux de lin)" by Debussy, The Turkish March ("Marcia a la turka") by Mozart and Gershwin's Rhapsody In Blue all got the treatment. She also did a Venezuelan folk tune , responding to a compatriot in the audience. It's a bit mind boggling to think that, short of a bootleg appearing, those of us there last night will be the only people to have heard these sounds. Unforgettable!
Otis Westinghouse

I'll check Dime, though no doubt you will too!
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

I Can't Explain
The Seeker
Substitute
Fragments
Who Are You
Behind Blue Eyes
Real Good Looking Boy
Sound Round
Pick Up The Peace
Endless Wire
We Got A Hit
They Made My Dream Come True
Mirror Door
Baba O' Riley
Eminence Front
A Man In A Purple Dress
Mike Post Theme
You Better You Bet
My Generation
Cry If You Want
Won't Get Fooled Again
Pinball Wizard
Amazing Journey
Sparks
See Me Feel Me
Tea And Theatre

From the opening power chords of "I Cant Explain" to the end of "Behind Blue Eyes" the opening of the Who 's concert last night was just stunning. The crowd were immediately on their feet, and gave the band a huge reception. The excellent visuals displayed on the huge but crystal clear video screens of iconic 60's Who images and film were the icing on the cake and it was really a thrilling opening, the band playing with power and energy, the sound loud but crystal clear. "Who Are You" a real highlight. Fantastic stuff. Things dipped with the rather mawkish tribute to the "other Elvis" "Real Good Looking Boy", not a BAD song, but not in the same ball park as those preceding it. The new songs, especially the mini opera, and "Fragments", were great ,again featuring beautiful images on the big screen, "Baba O Riley" beautifully played with an incredible harmonica solo by Roger during the end section and amazing "psychedelic eye ball" visuals. "Eminence Front" was funky and groovy but the acoustic "A Man in Purple Dress" signaled a rush to the bar, Things went back up a notch with an extended "My Generation" complete with THAT bass run played brilliantly by Pino Palladino which segued into "Cry If You Want" . An amazingly tight "Wont Get Fooled Again" featuring stunning drumming from Zac Starkey and they were off. "Pinball Wizard" is not one of my favourite Who songs but it was a highlight last night, as was the "Amazing Journey"/"Sparks"/"See Me Feel Me" section from Tommy complete with guitar heroics from Townshend. The acoustic "Tea and Theatre" with just Pete and Roger ended the show with Townshend tossing away the acoustic which landed with a "clang" on the stage and throwing a handfull of pics to the fans in the front row, who he then (only semi - jokingly) called a bunch of sad fuckers and that was that. Way better than I thought it was going to be, way better than the Stones were earlier in the year at the same venue, it is mindblowing to think that if they are this good now, just how good were they in their prime??
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

martinfoyle wrote:I was in the pit moshing like a fool at The Primal Scream show last saturday. Playing to a mad for it Olympia audience, Bobby and Mani (who kissed each other on the lips at the end of the show) and the rest knew they could do no wrong and played a blinder. Fights, stage invasions, slamming, I really should have know better, I'm still aching. A great night. Next weekend an awesome double header of The Twilight Singers and The Flaming Lips awaits me. What eejit said there was nothing going on this side of the Atlantic?
You're in for a treat with the Twilight Singers. Nobody channels dark passion like Greg Dulli, except maybe Mark Lanegan, who will be appearing with them as well. They absolutely killed in Chapel Hill last week.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Yes, the lads put on a great show last night, Lanegan stealing it by a long way. My only quibble was that it was a bit laid back for a mad-for-it-saturday-night Dublin audience. I kept waiting for it to rock out, which it did-on the last track. Still, it's always good to hear Greg belting it out, the highlight though was the Lanegans medley of Live With Me and Where Did You Sleep Tonight. As I write, 2PM sunday afternoon, my hearing is starting to get back to normal, bracing myself for tonights Lips show.
Otis Westinghouse

Isn't it Ron tonight, or is that for your bro? In which case, no comparison. No, it can't be tonight, you're a Ron fan.

Scritti at Sheps Bush Emp everything I hoped it would be and then some. I must have missed the fact that The Word Girl has been added to the set. Just perfect. I'll have to add to the Green thread with immense detail. For any non-initiates, you're missing out, believe me.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

John went to Ron, more anon, I went to The 'Lips. An amazing show, it lived up to expectations and then some. This thread very accurately summarises things.
Btw, have you Sufjan fans seen this?
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Going to this show on Friday:

http://www.judithowen.net/

I hope Derek Smalls makes an appearance.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Judith Owen is quite a talent, very impressive on the 1000 Years of Popular Song DVD. Please, report back.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Otis Westinghouse

martinfoyle wrote: Btw, have you Sufjan fans seen this?
No, but thanks v much. I got a not great quality (high compression) recording of the NY gig I and othrs went too, but this sounds v promising. Seriously techie details re the mixing!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Just got in from seeing Cat Power & The Memphis Rhythm Band, which was awesome.

The first section of the concert was basically The Greatest tracks 1 through 10 done with the 10-peice Memphis Rhythm Band, which included Al Green's original guitar player and the co-writer of songs like "Take Me To The River" and "Love & Happiness" Teenie Hodges. Teenie, legendary as he may be, seems totally fried now though he did sing one song which was pretty cool.

Then the band left the stage and Chan did a few songs on her own on piano and guitar including "House of The Rising Sun", "Paths of Victory", etc.

Her second set with the band was definitely the highlight of the concert. Two of the songs Cat Power did on The Covers Album - "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" and "Naked If I Want To" were delivered in full band arrangements and kicked ass. She also did a pretty awesome version of Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy."

I promise my review in Being There will be a lot better!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

Cooool. Wish I'd caught her.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Booked to see Gogol Bordello on my birthday. That should be wild!