RIP Robert Altman

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

RIP Robert Altman

Post by BlueChair »

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Mov ... index.html

A pretty huge loss for the film community. RIP to one of the greatest American directors of all-time.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Damn , what huge bummer.

"Nashville", "The Player", "Short Cuts" ,"MASH" - you dont get much better than that. A real individual voice.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

That's really sad to hear. Short Cuts is my favourite of its genre. He seemed to be on a roll in putting out good movies these last few years. A Prarie Home Companion was critically acclaimed in pretty much every paper over here. Anyone seen it? I've been meaning to.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Very sad news.
Definitely one of my favourite filmmakers.

RIP
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Damn. I just this past weekend watched (for the umpteenth time, as it's a very fave) Gosford Park, with Altman's commentary. Sad to see him go, but what a body of work!
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Huge fave of mine, especially The Player, Gosford Park, Shortcuts, MASH, Nashville. RIP.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

I was supposed to see the, unfortunately as it turned out, lame play Kevin Spacey had him direct in London last Easter. It was cancelled by the time I arrived so I managed to grab one of the last tickets for the Daniel Johnston tribute at the Barbican instead. An eclectic evening as it turned out, so, in restrospect, I had a very Altmanesque time all the same. Loved the bit in that BBC documentary on the making of Gosford Park where one of the owners of the vintage cars used in the film asked Altman who he was and he very self effacingly just told him he was Bob. One of a kind, he had a great life.