Help me make a Bowie-compilation!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Chrille

Help me make a Bowie-compilation!

Post by Chrille »

I'm putting together a 2-CD Bowie-compilation for a friend as a small gift for christmas. He likes Bowie but doesn't own any albums. I'm having big problems setting on something, because I can't help involving my feelings for a particular track when it comes to including/excluding it, and our tastes in music are very different. What tracks should I pick?

His favourite bands are U2, Depeche Mode, Rolling Stones and he loves hard rock in general. He also likes Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder and, urgh, ABBA :shock: . Which doesn't fit in very well at all with the rest :P

I considered just giving him the singles collection or the more recent best-of thingamajig, but there are several tracks there I don't think he'd like.

Help me out!

I've got Man..., Hunky, Ziggy, Aladdin, Diamond, Young, Station, Low, Heroes, Lodger, Scary, Dance, Outside, Earthling, Hours, Heathen, Reality, Singles & Best Of to pick from!

This is my first draft, but I don't like it much at all:

Disc 1:
Space Oddity
The Man Who Sold The World
Changes
Black Country Rock
John, I'm Only Dancing
Ziggy Stardust
Life On Mars
Star
Rebel Rebel
The Jean Genie
Hang On To Yourself
Starman
Panic In Detroit
Rock N Roll Suicide
Prettiest Star
Sorrow
Lady Grinning Soul
Suffragette City
Queen Bitch
Diamond Dogs

Disc 2:
Young Americans
Fame
Golden Years
TVC 15
Breaking Glass
Sound And Vision
Heroes
D.J.
Boys Keep Swinging
Ashes To Ashes
Fashion
Because You're Young
Let's Dance
China Girl
Modern Love
Absolute Beginners
Jump They Say
Strangers When We Meet

It dedicates a whole disc to the pre-Young Americans period, which I'm certain he'll like better. Had I made this compilation for myself. I'd dedicate one disc for just the Station to Station -> Scary Monsters albums and even that would be difficult!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Looks OK, other than the fact the non-chronological CD1 is at odds with CD2 and the world in general. I would change some selections, have more Diamond Dogs, etc., but overall it's a nice mix of the known and the less known.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Oops, right, I posted a unmodified track order of CD 2.

Otis, I would really like to see the changes you'd make since I'm not quite happy with this.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

If he likes the hard driving type stuff, Be My Wife would be a good inclusion.
Otis Westinghouse

If you insist! Have limited myself to 2 x 20 songs and the LPs you have, which helped narrow it down a little. And it's chronologcial, with the CD break at the same point. I've ditched the awful 80s dross and put some decent noughties stuff in! STS might well be too long for a 20 song CD, and possibly stay too, in which case I'd drop the Outside options. Strangers is nice but a bit predictable, the title song is the one that sticks in my mind from that record. Cracked Actor is included for the heavy rock angle. Have gone for some personal faves, often quiter songs, that give some more variety.

Disc 1:
Space Oddity
The Man Who Sold The World
Changes
Queen Bitch
Life On Mars
Bewlay Brothers
John, I'm Only Dancing
Ziggy Stardust
Hang On To Yourself
Lady Stardust
Starman
Suffragette City
Rock N Roll Suicide
Jean Genie
Panic In Detroit
Cracked Actor
Lady Grinning Soul
Rebel Rebel
Sweet Thing
Diamond Dogs

Disc 2:
Young Americans
Fame
Station To Station or Stay (depending on time)
Golden Years
Word on a Wing
Sound And Vision
Be My Wife
A New Career In A New Town
Warszawa
Heroes
D.J.
Boys Keep Swinging
Ashes To Ashes
Fashion
Teenage Wildlife
Strangers When We Meet or Outside
Cactus
5.15, Angels Have Gone
Everyone Says Hi
Falldog Bombs The Moon
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

How could you leave out The Laughing Gnome?
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

Thanks for your suggestions. I would like to include Station To Station and the 'full' Sweet Thing. Be My Wife was in there initially, but in the end I left it out. I guess it should be in there after all. I can't leave out Absolute Beginners though, it's one of his favourite Bowie-songs.
Otis Westinghouse

If he insists! I'd be happy with just the actual Sweet Thing bit. I'd be tempted to go back to '63 or '64 with one of the really early ones (the Early compilation ain't half bad, worth a listen). And Laughing Gnome too!