Random Thoughts

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Music selections at the local skating rink yesterday --

Arctic Monkeys - When the Sun Goes Down
The Shins - Australia

When did ice skating music get hip?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I have never been ice skating so I couldn't tell you - I have enough trouble standing on terra firma.

We have a programme on TV here with "celebrities" dancing with professional skaters and it's one of those popular interactive progammes.

I had an incredibly lazy day watching sport in front of the TV yesterday. I wish I could have more days like it.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Spring forward, my ass.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

So at 11:30pm tonight, as Blue and I are just starting to drift off to sleep, the doorbell rings. Blue, annoyed that the doorbell would ring this late says "just ignore it" - but I hop out of bed and look at the window to see a police car sitting out front, so I scurry to get my glasses and robe, and run downstairs.

Two police officers are standing at the front door who say they're looking for someone. They ask if I live here alone, and I say that my fiancé does just as Blue comes down. They take a look at him and say he's not him, but then show me a photo of an 30/40ish italian man with a goatee, and ask us if we recognize him. We don't. They tell us he supposedly lives at our house. Uh... no. So we explain we just got the house in January, and Blue then says that he thinks he *may* have been the son of the previous owners, who we met once back in November. I don't remember what he looks like at all, but it's possible. I then showed them a piece of mail we got today for the previous owners, and they say that that is indeed the guy's name. They then got our name and phone number, said not to worry, and that they'd be in touch if they had any more questions. Then they sat out front for another 10 minutes or so, spoke with our neighbor as he came home, and drove off.

So... yeah. Weird. Kinda glad we have an alarm now :P
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Imagine if they'd looked at Blue and felt that he could have kind of resembled a 30/40 year old Italian guy.

I wonder what a prison wedding would be like :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

They're awesome.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

:shock:
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Did anybody else watch The Riches last night? The more commercials I saw for it, the less I was looking forward to it, but I thought it was pretty good. Definitely an F/X series.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

mood swung wrote:Did anybody else watch The Riches last night? The more commercials I saw for it, the less I was looking forward to it, but I thought it was pretty good. Definitely an F/X series.
I DVRed yet, but haven't watched it yet.

On a side note, is anyone else completely in love with DVR/TiVo? It's the most amazing invention ever! Absolutely indispensable. I can't sit still through commercials on regular tv anymore.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Having moved from the Central Time Zone, I was used to primetime starting at 7 and Letterman on at 10:30. Eastern time has seriously messed up my ability to watch some shows as my day starts at 5 am. This is a laborious way to say, yes, I love DVR.
Masterpiece?

Post by Masterpiece? »

God still exists in Midtown Manhattan:

http://midtownlunch.com/blog/2007/01/17 ... ni-empire/
Everybody's hiding under covers... who's making Lover's Lane safe again for lovers?"
miss buenos aires

I watched "The Riches" last night--very very interesting! Are mood and I the only ones in?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

wtf - Gillian Welch is opening for Bright Eyes at Massey Hall. Shouldn't it be the other way around?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
miss buenos aires

Bright Eyes sucks.

In other news, I just found out that a friend of a friend used to room with a serial killer! Remind me to not complain about my living situation.
miss buenos aires

In other other news, have any of the Miles Davis fans on the Board seen the movie "Elevator to the Gallows"? If not, I strongly encourage you to do so! Even if you are not a Miles Davis fan! It's a fantastic noir movie.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I have not. Thank you for the reference. Where is it? Theatres now, DVD, Cable?

Thanks
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I saw it on Turner Classic Movies (I think) a few months ago. Great great movie. Superb Jeanne Moreau. One of the best soundtracks ever.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
miss buenos aires

Mr. Average wrote:I have not. Thank you for the reference. Where is it? Theatres now, DVD, Cable?

Thanks
DVD--I rented it off Netflix.
miss buenos aires

Who Shot Sam? wrote:I saw it on Turner Classic Movies (I think) a few months ago. Great great movie. Superb Jeanne Moreau. One of the best soundtracks ever.
I loved the lighting, and the extremely 50's-specific technology issues everyone was having. And the soundtrack.
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

File under, You Gotta Love New England (Or It May Kill You):

48 hours ago I wore sandals and a sweater (rather than a coat) to work. In the interim the temperature has dropped 50 degrees and we have 9 inches of snow.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I have a vision of you wearing just a sweater and sandals - nothing else - in the snow.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

I knew I should've worded that differently. In any case, you can picture it as horrible slush now, with still more slush falling from the sky to join it.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

9 inches sounded better.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
newlacesleeves

Post by newlacesleeves »

Mr. Average wrote:I have not. Thank you for the reference. Where is it? Theatres now, DVD, Cable?

Thanks
I can't believe for someone who has a picture of Miles in his avatar that you've never heard of lift to the scaffold.. or 'Ascenseur pour l'eÌ
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Miles has an extensive catalogue. Someday, I hope I can be "up" on every piece of it, but frankly, I doubt if there is enough time left on my life calendar to allow me to find and enjoy everything he has recorded. I don't claim to be a completist, just a fan.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)